Author Topic: Any programmers on geekhack? What language(s) do you use?  (Read 55080 times)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
Any programmers on geekhack? What language(s) do you use?
« on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 06:19:07 »
Are there any programmers on geekhack?

What language(s) do you use? Why?

Do you use an IDE or do you hate IDE's?

What languages do you hate with passion?

I am heavy on python, thinking of attending PyCon this year. Use vim and spacemacs.
MJT2 Browns o-rings - HHKB White - ES-87 Smoke White Clears - 87UB 55g

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
Re: Any programmers on geekhack? What language(s) do you use?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:52:54 »
I'd think there were a lot of programmers on GeekHack. :)

I'm C# for the money. I like it though.  I also do Julia and Python for Data Science, and dabble in many for utility reasons (PHP, Ruby, Javascript, C++).

I use whatever works.  For day to day, I use Visual Studio, but I also use Sublime Text a lot, and Juno/LightTable.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 08:58:43 »
I'd think there were a lot of programmers on GeekHack. :)

I'm C# for the money. I like it though.  I also do Julia and Python for Data Science, and dabble in many for utility reasons (PHP, Ruby, Javascript, C++).

I use whatever works.  For day to day, I use Visual Studio, but I also use Sublime Text a lot, and Juno/LightTable.

C# was a huge step forward for win dev IMHO. I came from VB 6.0 and C# combined with VS GUI builder felt like a revival of VB.

Do you like Visual Studio nowadays? Last time I have seriously developed in it was VB 6.0. I played with C# but never seriously code with it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 09:18:36 »
I am not sure if I might be considered a programmer; but, being an mechanical engineer I spent many years working in the automotive industry designing and running experiments, lastly, I teach DoE using R with RStudio, also I teach some Geostatistics and financial risk analysis with the same platform, I make basic scripts to solve the examples I use and make them available for my students with Knitr, Latex and Markdown. Hope this is not out of topic  :p

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 09:22:00 »
I am not sure if I might be considered a programmer; but, being an mechanical engineer I spent many years working in the automotive industry designing and running experiments, lastly, I teach DoE using R with RStudio, also I teach some Geostatistics and financial risk analysis with the same platform, I make basic scripts to solve the examples I use and make them available for my students with Knitr, Latex and Markdown. Hope this is not out of topic  :p

Not out of topic at all! I use R and RStudio as well for statistical data analysis. But for quick and dirty I still prefer SPSS over R. Knitr / Latex are really awesome.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:25:36 »
I like IDE's but I tend to shut real-time features off.

It is often in IDE's that editor features in real time pop up and grab the keyboard input for a part of the keyboard. For instance, if I type a symbol and then press cursor-down, then I want to type that symbol and go down a line, not choose another symbol from a list of symbols that sort-of match the symbol I just typed.
There is an old user-interface principle that says that users should not have to fight the interface.
Maybe that interaction worked for the programmer who wrote it, but we are different people and I have my way of thinking, reasoning about code, writing and navigating source code, and he has his.
Popup windows that I have to close are the kind of things you would find on warez and pr0n-sites on the web -- they do not belong in a text editor where I am supposed to do work.

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:30:18 »
C, Java, and Python.  I just use vim with ftplugins as needed.
I tend to use IDLE with Python though.
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 11:38:08 »

It is often in IDE's that editor features in real time pop up and grab the keyboard input for a part of the keyboard. For instance, if I type a symbol and then press cursor-down, then I want to type that symbol and go down a line, not choose another symbol from a list of symbols that sort-of match the symbol I just typed.
There is an old user-interface principle that says that users should not have to fight the interface.
Maybe that interaction worked for the programmer who wrote it, but we are different people and I have my way of thinking, reasoning about code, writing and navigating source code, and he has his.
Popup windows that I have to close are the kind of things you would find on warez and pr0n-sites on the web -- they do not belong in a text editor where I am supposed to do work.

You mean intellisense?  That's been one of the largest boons/advancements in programming IMO.  You don't have to remember all of these obscure overloads and such.  And usually, in the implementations that I've seen, you don't have to do anything.  You just keep typing, and as long as you're typing, intellisense doesn't even come into play.

C# was a huge step forward for win dev IMHO. I came from VB 6.0 and C# combined with VS GUI builder felt like a revival of VB.

Do you like Visual Studio nowadays? Last time I have seriously developed in it was VB 6.0. I played with C# but never seriously code with it.

I like visual studio- it's pretty much the only thing I actually develop in.  I might look at code in other editors, but when I am starting a project in .NET, it's just more productive to break out visual studio.  Though I don't use the visual editor.  Too much of doing things the way that they want to, and too much frustration aligning things.  I just use the code editor to make the interfaces.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:54:10 »
Don't have a lot of experience with a lot of languages but have played around with some. Now my primary language is Python but been learning Rails for other upcoming work projects. C/C++ for keyboard/Arduino related projects.

For Python I use PyCharm. A lovely IDE with a bunch of great features. But for my own projects/learning I would go for SublimeText with some plugins. For small changes/config files it's Vim. I would love to find "one-for-all" solution but I don't have the time to learn Vim to that level yet.
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 12:57:53 »

I hate IDEs personally. I have used IntelliJ, NetBeans, Eclipse, Visual Studio, Delphi, and what not. Never like one of them. VB 6.0 was reasonably OK.

So I switched to vim (and more recently spacemacs try-out) so that I can make my "IDE" do what I want EXACTLY.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:01:44 »
Don't have a lot of experience with a lot of languages but have played around with some. Now my primary language is Python but been learning Rails for other upcoming work projects. C/C++ for keyboard/Arduino related projects.

For Python I use PyCharm. A lovely IDE with a bunch of great features. But for my own projects/learning I would go for SublimeText with some plugins. For small changes/config files it's Vim. I would love to find "one-for-all" solution but I don't have the time to learn Vim to that level yet.

There is a great book for vim: "learning the vim and vi editors" (O'Reilly book):

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596529833.do

And there's only a few plugins you need for python development:
CtrlP for fuzzy finding files
bufexplorer To change buffers quickly (not windows or tabs)
python-mode Python highlighting, execution, repl, hinting, etc.
jedi-vim for autocompletion (if you want that)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:02:39 »
C, Java, and Python.  I just use vim with ftplugins as needed.
I tend to use IDLE with Python though.

You like Java? Is it good (and fast) nowadays? Last time I used it was in 2005 and it was horribly slow.

Offline funderburker

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:06:35 »

There is a great book for vim: "learning the vim and vi editors" (O'Reilly book):

Thank you. Will have to try it out. I could go for Vim with my own Python projects but I'll stick to PyCharm for work. They bought me the license and all recently so it wouldn't be cool for my company to "waste" the license. :D
Keyboard design by Skepur

My boards: TMO50 FE:06 | LAGOM Groda-T | TMOv2 R1 prototype | Onyx FRL TKL prototype | Stege TKL prototype | Ellipse prototype | Cyberstar

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 13:08:01 »

Thank you. Will have to try it out. I could go for Vim with my own Python projects but I'll stick to PyCharm for work. They bought me the license and all recently so it wouldn't be cool for my company to "waste" the license. :D

PyCharm is pretty decent! I just hate everything even remotely associated with eclipse and java.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 14:25:56 »
And usually, in the implementations that I've seen, you don't have to do anything.  You just keep typing, and as long as you're typing, intellisense doesn't even come into play.
You did not read my comment properly. I did not want to continue typing. I wanted to go to another line.
Another thing wrong with it is that it covers code that I might want to read.

Intellisense™ was a great idea but the user interface was poorly designed. And then most other IDEs copied Microsoft's user interface.
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 April 2016, 14:30:52 by Findecanor »

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 14:46:55 »
right now, java, c, c++, and some javascript

Offline algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:02:29 »

I use a lot of languages, for different reasons, for different purposes. My go-to language is Clojure, because it is a functional lisp, that is practical to use. I love lisps, and functional programming, so for me, Clojure is a match made in heaven. At work, I use Go, Python, a bit of Ruby, JavaScript and shell, because these were the best at the time, within a given environment, for the task we needed them for. For fun, I dabble in Hy (a lisp that compiles to python AST). I used to do a lot of C, but thankfully, I do not have to anymore.

I use Emacs, which is, for me, far superior to any IDE. But I do not hate IDEs, they're just not for me.

PHP, because in a previous life, I was trying to integrate it into a webserver, and had to look at its source, and that was a horrendous experience. Years later, at another job, we found serious bugs within some of the standard stuff that ship with PHP, still unfixed to this day. It is a terrible language. Every time you'd want to use PHP, there is always something better, more fit for the job.

I also dislike C a lot, because I wrote far too much in it, but perhaps, not with a passion.

I do hate all OOP languages, apart from SmallTalk. They are all awful. :P

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:11:51 »
And usually, in the implementations that I've seen, you don't have to do anything.  You just keep typing, and as long as you're typing, intellisense doesn't even come into play.
You did not read my comment properly. I did not want to continue typing. I wanted to go to another line.

Intellisense™ was a great idea but the user interface was poorly designed. And then most other IDEs copied Microsoft's user interface.

I think in VB 6.0 IntelliSense by MS worked pretty well. But the way Eclipse and Netbeans implemented it is horrible. It just DOES NOT go away when you want it to go away.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:19:29 »

I use a lot of languages, for different reasons, for different purposes. My go-to language is Clojure, because it is a functional lisp, that is practical to use. I love lisps, and functional programming, so for me, Clojure is a match made in heaven. At work, I use Go, Python, a bit of Ruby, JavaScript and shell, because these were the best at the time, within a given environment, for the task we needed them for. For fun, I dabble in Hy (a lisp that compiles to python AST). I used to do a lot of C, but thankfully, I do not have to anymore.

Lisp is beautiful. Is Clojure accepted now in business? Smart move to put Lisp on top of java runtime.

What do you particularly dislike about C?

I use Emacs, which is, for me, far superior to any IDE. But I do not hate IDEs, they're just not for me.

I am really into vim, now trying spacemacs because emacs looks like the OS X of editors: feature rich and one cohesive and consistent ecosystem. Probably gonna jump once I get the hang of elisp and the emacs insights / peculiarities.

PHP, because in a previous life, I was trying to integrate it into a webserver, and had to look at its source, and that was a horrendous experience. Years later, at another job, we found serious bugs within some of the standard stuff that ship with PHP, still unfixed to this day. It is a terrible language. Every time you'd want to use PHP, there is always something better, more fit for the job.

I started webdev in perl, then PHP. Compared to perl, PHP is heaven. But compared to anything else, PHP is really weird. It's native for me, I don't have any issues with PHP. I'm used to it up to the point where I don't see the inconsistencies anymore. But I don't like PHP anymore, I moved on to python.

Personally, I believe PHP is going a bit into the C++ sdl / template madness. For instance, you can get iterators in PHP, but you have to write a ton of boilerplate to get it working. So basically, the advantage of having iterators is not worth the hassle to go through in PHP. Most new features in PHP are like that IMHO.

I also dislike C a lot, because I wrote far too much in it, but perhaps, not with a passion.

I do hate all OOP languages, apart from SmallTalk. They are all awful. :P

First, in the time of java and its OOP, I was like "oh wow inheritance, subclassing, finals, statics". Later on I took a more minimalistic approach asking myself "what do I truly need OOP for". Turns out, extremely little.

In python, I avoid classes most of the time by using appropriate modules (a source file that is its own namespace basically). So I do not need ugly function names like graphics_setup() etc. Though I still think that's most of the time better than going full retard with OOP (e.g., ActualGraphicsSetup extends GraphicsSetuper extends AbstractGraphicsSetup extends Setup extends Core extends Utils).

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:48:41 »

Lisp is beautiful. Is Clojure accepted now in business? Smart move to put Lisp on top of java runtime.

It has been for a while. :)

Too limiting. I have to write lots and lots of code to do the simplest of things. While I can reuse a lot of things, that is still code someone has to maintain. Ever tried writing something highly parallel, and async in C? Awful. Locks everywhere, most of the time. There are libraries to make the experience at least bearable, but compared to the likes of Clojure's core.async... nah.

Also, in C, combining many small libraries is a pain in the backside. It is not the norm. Thus, I end up fighting the low-level language AND library authors too. Yuck.

I am really into vim, now trying spacemacs because emacs looks like the OS X of editors: feature rich and one cohesive and consistent ecosystem. Probably gonna jump once I get the hang of elisp and the emacs insights / peculiarities.

Spacemacs is great, I use it too. :)

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 15:53:41 »

Too limiting. I have to write lots and lots of code to do the simplest of things. While I can reuse a lot of things, that is still code someone has to maintain. Ever tried writing something highly parallel, and async in C? Awful. Locks everywhere, most of the time. There are libraries to make the experience at least bearable, but compared to the likes of Clojure's core.async... nah.

Also, in C, combining many small libraries is a pain in the backside. It is not the norm. Thus, I end up fighting the low-level language AND library authors too. Yuck.

I can imagine the struggle. It is a completely different animal, but I have the same issues with R. There are many libraries for R but because mathematicians make / use it and there is no official spec / reference (R IS the implementation AND the spec), libraries are often not compatible. You can have a data.frame but package A wants a matrix and package B wants a data.frame and C wants a list of vectors. WTF. And there is no implicit type conversion or even hinting so you have to do it by trial-and-error. Also, these libraries do not check type assumptions. The functions just except and only THEN you know that "probably you need to convert a data.frame to a matrix" and try again. And if the numbers come out "it is probably ok" but you'll never now for sure. I HATE R. It's funny, because people in my field (social scientist) use it to do data analysis without understanding basic programming facts. So it is very well possible that some people have published papers with completely wrong results due to these issues and not knowing it.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 21:39:57 »

I can go to another line also.  Not sure what the difference is in our settings, but it doesn't stop me from going to another line either.  It doesn't stop me from doing anything, including seeing other code.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 16 April 2016, 23:23:30 »
Lots of Python, more and more Javascript. Would like to get more comfortable with Lisps this year.

I use a mix of PyCharm with vim bindings and pure vim depending on what I'm doing (PyCharm has poor support for vim macros, specifically).
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 01:05:37 »
These days, C++ in Visual Studio (2005, 2008 or 2013 depending on the project), and Ruby using Atom.io. I like Ruby so far, and suspect I'll write one or two side projects in it.

I've done my share of Java, some C, Haskell (didn't like), Prolog (interesting for some applications), SQL, JavaScript (with Node.js), in university.

Most "unusual" language I've learned so far? Fortran. Array indexes start at 1, column-major array notation, fixed-form and free-form among other quirks. Will not miss the limitations of fixed-form.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 03:43:36 »

Yes.

Delphi, Python and Java, with a little bit of JavaScript.  Also Free Pascal.

Delphi is what our main application at work is written in.  We are migrating to a Java-based solution with a web front end (hence the JavaScript).

I use Python for almost anything I need small scripts for at home and work, and have also developed a few web apps using the web2py framework.

Free Pascal because I wanted something a bite more cross-platform than Delphi.

Eclipse (for Java), Brackets (for JavaScript), Delphi (which has its own IDE).  Lazarus for Free Pascal.

JavaScript - idiotic language.

I've also used probably about a dozen other languages at some stage, mostly now forgotten.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 03:45:35 »
arm assem :^)

Offline jaffers

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 04:07:48 »
Assembly, C, C++, python, Tis 100

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 06:54:30 »
Lots of Python, more and more Javascript. Would like to get more comfortable with Lisps this year.

I use a mix of PyCharm with vim bindings and pure vim depending on what I'm doing (PyCharm has poor support for vim macros, specifically).

Why more and more javascript? Webdev? Though I am reasonably eloquent with javscript I really do not like it.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 06:55:07 »
These days, C++ in Visual Studio (2005, 2008 or 2013 depending on the project), and Ruby using Atom.io. I like Ruby so far, and suspect I'll write one or two side projects in it.

I've done my share of Java, some C, Haskell (didn't like), Prolog (interesting for some applications), SQL, JavaScript (with Node.js), in university.

Most "unusual" language I've learned so far? Fortran. Array indexes start at 1, column-major array notation, fixed-form and free-form among other quirks. Will not miss the limitations of fixed-form.

What didn't you like about Haskell?

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 06:55:55 »

Yes.

Delphi is what our main application at work is written in.  We are migrating to a Java-based solution with a web front end (hence the JavaScript).

I use Python for almost anything I need small scripts for at home and work, and have also developed a few web apps using the web2py framework.

Free Pascal because I wanted something a bite more cross-platform than Delphi.

Eclipse (for Java), Brackets (for JavaScript), Delphi (which has its own IDE).  Lazarus for Free Pascal.

JavaScript - idiotic language.

I've also used probably about a dozen other languages at some stage, mostly now forgotten.

Delphi is no more right?

Offline hkf

• your #1 fan
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:15:09 »
c# during the day in visual studio

whatever goes for open source stuff

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:30:06 »

Why more and more javascript? Webdev? Though I am reasonably eloquent with javscript I really do not like it.
Ysah, moving more and more logic to the client in the form of single-pages apps backed by thin REST APIs.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:32:11 »

Ysah, moving more and more logic to the client in the form of single-pages apps backed by thin REST APIs.

I feel for you. I've done a couple of AngularJS 2.0 apps with most front-end logic in javascript. Used REST via restangular. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly great either. Difficult to keep code clean and readable with JS / angular. Difficult to test as well. Yes, there are testrunners and suites. But still.. I don't know... coming from python / ruby, javascript feels years behind.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 07:38:28 »

I feel for you. I've done a couple of AngularJS 2.0 apps with most front-end logic in javascript. Used REST via restangular. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't particularly great either. Difficult to keep code clean and readable with JS / angular. Difficult to test as well. Yes, there are testrunners and suites. But still.. I don't know... coming from python / ruby, javascript feels years behind.
From what I'm finding, JS just has a lot of bad parts that you need to know to avoid. That's a crappy paradigm but it is what it is on the web. There's an entire layer of languages that compile to the JS base which help, like using ES6 + Babel or Typescript.

At least it has first-class functions, I used to do a lot of C# and I don't know if I can ever go back to writing so much boiler-plate OO stuff.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #34 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 09:16:08 »

From what I'm finding, JS just has a lot of bad parts that you need to know to avoid. That's a crappy paradigm but it is what it is on the web. There's an entire layer of languages that compile to the JS base which help, like using ES6 + Babel or Typescript.

At least it has first-class functions, I used to do a lot of C# and I don't know if I can ever go back to writing so much boiler-plate OO stuff.

There is also a book on this: "JavaScript: The Good Parts"

http://shop.oreilly.com/product/9780596517748.do

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 13:51:43 »

Yes.

Are you serious?  That's cool to hear!  I started out in Delphi, but after Borland(at least I think that's what they were at the time) started flubbing their marketing, I started to change- first to contracts that were for Delphi -> .NET, as a bridge into .NET.

I was on a huge project for a huge consulting company.  The old system we'd built for them was in Delphi.  There was some decision between staying with Delphi, or moving to .NET.  Borland was barely responsive.  Microsoft sent out trainers and engineers and partnered to create the architecture, design, and POC.

Guess who won out?  And after seeing Anders jump ship, I figured out which way the wind was blowing.  And then seeing them gut and then completely remove the hobbyist versions, and I realized that they didn't seem to have a vision for the community.

But I'm glad to see Embarcadero  still supporting Delphi.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 14:52:54 »
Are you serious?  That's cool to hear!  I started out in Delphi, but after Borland(at least I think that's what they were at the time) started flubbing their marketing, I started to change- first to contracts that were for Delphi -> .NET, as a bridge into .NET.

I was on a huge project for a huge consulting company.  The old system we'd built for them was in Delphi.  There was some decision between staying with Delphi, or moving to .NET.  Borland was barely responsive.  Microsoft sent out trainers and engineers and partnered to create the architecture, design, and POC.

Guess who won out?  And after seeing Anders jump ship, I figured out which way the wind was blowing.  And then seeing them gut and then completely remove the hobbyist versions, and I realized that they didn't seem to have a vision for the community.

But I'm glad to see Embarcadero  still supporting Delphi.

It's a shame what Borland did to Delphi (and TurboPascal and TurboC for that matter). Delphi was where VB 6.0 should've been. All the controls, bells, and whistles, and the IDE. It was great (Delphi 6.0 / 7.0). Very rich environment.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 14:53:46 »
Delphi is no more right?

Where did you get that from?

Thanks for pointing this out!

Yeah.. I forgot that Delphi is still around but not from Borland anymore.

But is it still as good as in the Borland days? To me, it now looks more like realbasic.. you can make stuff with it but not so much oriented to serious software dev anymore. Or am I wrong?

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 17:09:48 »
Delphi is no more right?

But is it still as good as in the Borland days? To me, it now looks more like realbasic.. you can make stuff with it but not so much oriented to serious software dev anymore. Or am I wrong?

From the last time I looked at it (which was only a little before Embarcadero bought it) it was still the same- just trying to change interface to compete with visual studio and its one window IDE.

Offline Darkshado

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 21:34:47 »

It's been a while, but I found the syntax weird.

Maybe I'll give it another try some day because of the course we had to study it in. Dreadful. The professor got lost in his explanations and contradicted himself repeatedly. Assignments that felt unsuited for the languages' principles, etc. (He was just as bad explaining Prolog, but I "got" the concepts of it more readily.)

I was also learning some Ruby at the time and felt I learned more functional programming through its lambdas and map capabilities.

@jaffers: TIS-100? I wouldn't put it on a resume :P just like Pep/8. Gotta give it a try someday, had fun with Kohctpyktop from the same authors.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 21:57:07 »
Delphi is no more right?

That.

It was Borland, then Codegear, then Inprise, then Codegear again, then Embarcadero, now someone else.

Borland were great back in the Turbo Pascal days (my first experience with OO programming), Turbo C.  There was a Turbo Delphi for a little while, available for free, cut down feature set, but that died for some reason many years ago.  Now it is a megalithic application that is trying to do almost everything to stay relevant, and (IMHO) somewhat failing in the face of free offerings targetting other languages and environments.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 17 April 2016, 23:25:18 »
Delphi is no more right?

That.

It was Borland, then Codegear, then Inprise, then Codegear again, then Embarcadero, now someone else.

Borland were great back in the Turbo Pascal days (my first experience with OO programming), Turbo C.  There was a Turbo Delphi for a little while, available for free, cut down feature set, but that died for some reason many years ago.  Now it is a megalithic application that is trying to do almost everything to stay relevant, and (IMHO) somewhat failing in the face of free offerings targetting other languages and environments.

This.  Even when Microsoft tried to partner up with them, they were still trying too hard to compete in the wrong areas.  Development Community and Customer Service are where they could have competed easily with Microsoft.  But they didn't concentrate on that.  I'm firmly in the .NET category these days... but I miss the openness of Delphi.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 03:38:54 »

It's been a while, but I found the syntax weird.

Maybe I'll give it another try some day because of the course we had to study it in. Dreadful. The professor got lost in his explanations and contradicted himself repeatedly. Assignments that felt unsuited for the languages' principles, etc. (He was just as bad explaining Prolog, but I "got" the concepts of it more readily.)

I was also learning some Ruby at the time and felt I learned more functional programming through its lambdas and map capabilities.

@jaffers: TIS-100? I wouldn't put it on a resume :P just like Pep/8. Gotta give it a try someday, had fun with Kohctpyktop from the same authors.

I found Haskell refreshing, but the syntax is well... not so readable if you ask me. But I like the fact that it is purely functional with supposedly no side effects.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:20:55 »
Delphi is no more right?

That.

This.  Even when Microsoft tried to partner up with them, they were still trying too hard to compete in the wrong areas.  Development Community and Customer Service are where they could have competed easily with Microsoft.  But they didn't concentrate on that.  I'm firmly in the .NET category these days... but I miss the openness of Delphi.

We might have gone .NET at work a few years back, but chose Java instead (due to cross-platformness - Mono wasn't a big thing back then).

Now Java is the future of the company, but it's a huge task to rewrite everything in Java.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:21:26 »
Delphi is no more right?

That.

We might have gone .NET at work a few years back, but chose Java instead (due to cross-platformness - Mono wasn't a big thing back then).

Now Java is the future of the company, but it's a huge task to rewrite everything in Java.

Honestly, why java?

Offline algernon

• Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:29:38 »
Honestly, why java?

While Java may not be the greatest language, the JVM is an awesome piece of engineering. And you have tons of libraries, tooling and whatnot that come with the Java ecosystem. I'm not fond of the language itself, but the JVM, and the tooling is great.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:39:38 »
Delphi is no more right?

That.

Honestly, why java?

Cross-platform, lots of libraries, and support from all of the major vendors.

Offline iLLucionist

• * Elevated Elder
  • Topre is Love.
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 05:51:02 »
Honestly, why java?

Makes sense indeed. But personally I don't really like where the language has gone the past couple of years. But that's a matter of taste perhaps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 18 April 2016, 06:00:47 »
Honestly, why java?

Makes sense indeed. But personally I don't really like where the language has gone the past couple of years. But that's a matter of taste perhaps.

So far I haven't done much of the Java stuff, I spend most days supporting our existing applications on Windows.  Plus researching technologies for deploying things, like at the moment I'm looking into Docker.  It's a shame Windows apps won't run in Docker 'cause it would be good to be able to make an image to deploy to clients, instead of the convoluted process we have now for releases.