Author Topic: A Good Cheap Simple Web Host ?  (Read 5611 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
A Good Cheap Simple Web Host ?
« on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 15:59:03 »
I am asking the same question but decided to start a new thread rather than necro 
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40716.msg809912#msg809912

A lot may have changed in 3+ years.

I want an extremely simple user-friendly (I am not well-versed in this stuff) domain basically for a blog and some email.
Maybe add a few pictures or text files, but I don't ever see much need for scaling it up for any business use.

What I do want is to make sure that I own the domain and not have it held hostage if/when I move to another host.

1&1 looks like a good safe option but I can't see where they state unequivocally that I own it and not them.

Thanks.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: A Good Cheap Simple Web Host ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 16:06:47 »
I was going to go with bluehost but ended up not doing anything yet.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:39:44 »
Now I am wondering whether iPage is the way to go. Is it Apple-centric? If so, I'm out.

Otherwise, it looks pretty clean and cheap. I hope it isn't a bait and switch where the initial price goes way up.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:54:30 »
namecheap and install wordpress on it
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 July 2016, 18:56:57 by appleonama »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 21:53:49 »
At work we went with SquareSpace, but they do not have a free option.

Weebly was another highly rated site we considered.  The downside to Weebly is that (when we reviewed it) to change a site theme you had to start from scratch.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 23:14:37 »
One thing to avoid: over the years, a lot of hosting companies have been purchased by a firm called Endurance International Group.  Unlike most companies doing acquisitions, they make a big effort not to publicise the takeover or ever merge their brands.  The MO seems to be "even if we make the service suck, odds are many of the customers who leave will end up buying into another of our brands."

They bought out Bluehost like a year ago.  We had several client sites there.  Since the takeover, it went from "simple trouble ticket like installing a SSL certificate takes 30 minutes" to "ticket takes 3 days" to "ticketing system is disabled, you have to sit on a livechat for 30 minutes to even ask for support".  They rolled out a caching system, which breaks sites that aren't expecting it (it would serve cached versions of pages that we expected to be regenerated on each load).
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 July 2016, 10:00:10 »

namecheap and install wordpress on it

The farther I delve into this cesspool the more I feel like I do when I am looking for a new cell phone or cable TV provider.
"Introductory offers" that later skyrocket make me angry and insane. Customer loyalty should be rewarded, not punished!

I have used GoDaddy in personal and business situations but I don't really like their ethos any more, and I want to keep it simple here.

It is starting to look like Namecheap + Wordpress is the cleanest solution.

Offline pmck

• Software Engineer
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 06:11:07 »
^

I can vouch for namecheap too.

|        IBM M         |      Wasd V1      |   GH60    | KBC Poker | GHPAD |

WANTED:Nada have all I want for now!

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 06:37:52 »
At work we went with SquareSpace, but they do not have a free option.

Weebly was another highly rated site we considered.  The downside to Weebly is that (when we reviewed it) to change a site theme you had to start from scratch.

Confirmed. Rowdy is sponsored by Squarespace :eek:

I've played with the live version of Wordpress (.com). Having the option to check functionality offline before publishing is a pretty awesome feature imo

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 22 August 2016, 09:50:58 »
I am asking the same question but decided to start a new thread rather than necro 
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=40716.msg809912#msg809912

A lot may have changed in 3+ years.

I want an extremely simple user-friendly (I am not well-versed in this stuff) domain basically for a blog and some email.
Maybe add a few pictures or text files, but I don't ever see much need for scaling it up for any business use.

What I do want is to make sure that I own the domain and not have it held hostage if/when I move to another host.

1&1 looks like a good safe option but I can't see where they state unequivocally that I own it and not them.

Thanks.

The best way to reach your stated end goal, i.e. owning the domain, is to purchase it separately from your hosting.  It's not hard- go to hover.com (that's what I use) or anyplace that only registers domains.  Once you've purchased it that way, it's unequivocally yours, barring, of course, hacking and illegal activity.

Offline notbrain

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 19:24:36 »
Can also vouch for namecheap - I've moved all of my domains there from 1&1. 1&1 has gotten considerably crappier over time (I've been with them since 2003 I think pre-launch). They basically changed their offering out from under me (I had a grandfathered-in plan since I was a beta customer). Then they wrote me an automated email saying I needed to delete a bunch of personal files. But they also locked me out of my own account, so I couldn't even comply with the order. They're huge now and not that interested in customer service--it's all automated.

Offline drumer93

A Good Cheap Simple Web Host ?
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 13:28:20 »
I've been using nearly free speech and for bare bones hosting where you won't have a lot of traffic it's great. I've had my website for about 3 months and barely paid anything (< $2 I'm pretty sure)

Edit: and I used Google domains for my domain.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 October 2016, 13:29:51 by drumer93 »

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 16:20:17 »
I'm with go daddy but looking to move next year once my **** expires :x
I love Elzy