Author Topic: What do you guys think about using Airbnb versus staying at a hotel?  (Read 5347 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
I haven't used Airbnb yet but considering it for a future trip to either St. Louis, Nashville or maybe even Chicago.

Anyone here use Airbnb when you travel?

The place I'm currently looking at is about half price of the surrounding hotels.  8)
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 July 2016, 15:53:29 by SpAmRaY »

Offline nugglets

Re: What do you guys think about using Airbnb versus staying at a hotel?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 16:07:25 »
Haven't used it personally, but my Dad has used it the past several times he's been out here. He lives in Ohio now and when he comes back to visit he stays for ~2 weeks typically because it's so much cheaper to stay over paying for a hotel.

It's always been great. Nice places and way closer to my brother and I than any of the hotels in the area.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 14 July 2016, 21:01:19 »
It's the Uber of hotels! Only stayed at one in Boston with an older gay couple running the joint. They were super cordial and one of them was a retired chef or something and he made some of the best Belgian waffles I've ever had. Stayed 3 nights and it was pretty chill, but one night I came home real late and a bit drunk and it felt like I was sneaking in past my bedtime. Way cheaper option versus surrounding hotels by more than half.

Offline iri

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 July 2016, 18:32:16 »
Airbnb's web interface is pathetic, but the two times I've used them were pretty successful. The first time it was a room on a giant farm turned into a house in rural Yorkshire, where the lovely hostess made us generous Full English and her husband even drove us back to the train station. The second time it was a house in Spain (where almost everyone live in flats), and we didn't even see the owner, she just sent us an email telling where to find the keys.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 09:30:47 »
Me and the gf are going to do it when we go to America. I've used it once before in Coventry and it SUCKED. Make sure you get a full apartment/house when you do it because I just had a room in a house and it was really really awful.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 09:33:47 »
I've used it a few times. One time rented out the whole house, sharing with a friend and her mom. There was a really nice cat there that slept with me. I also stayed 1 night in just a room before flying home during that trip, nice Chinese lady who drove me to the airport and made me dinner.

Used it again for my August trip to Montreal, rented out a condo.

It just depends what you're after, I think it's better than a hotel in most scenarios if you can find the right place. Sometimes I don't need the whole house to myself so a place to sleep will do. There is of course something nice about staying in a hotel, but comes at a cost :P
I love Elzy

Offline iri

(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 11:02:15 »
I've used it once before in Coventry and it SUCKED
in Coventry
it SUCKED
No surprise at all.

True. It was like... £17 a night  :)) But I had no lock on the door, the bathroom was ****ing disgusting, and the really weird guy slept in the living room so I couldn't do anything in the house at all.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline need

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 16 July 2016, 11:16:45 »
I've used it once before in Coventry and it SUCKED
in Coventry
it SUCKED
No surprise at all.

True. It was like... £17 a night  :)) But I had no lock on the door, the bathroom was ****ing disgusting, and the really weird guy slept in the living room so I couldn't do anything in the house at all.
Coventry is a wonderful place though, loved every minute of it whilst there.

Offline Altis

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 15:54:30 »
Currently wondering the same thing as the lady and I prepare for a trip to the West coast in Canada.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline decker

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 16:40:11 »
I was 2 weeks in California and Nevada in February.
I was travelling alone and stayed at people's houses with AirBnb in cities and in hotels between cities.
I preferred my stays in Airbnbs.

It was nice to have a chat with the airbnb hosts, talk about site seeing or just feel in a home and not a hotel.
Maybe I was lucky, maybe I'm easy going in this context...
It was an overall good experience, I tried it again in May in London, it was okay but didn't feel as connected with owner.

The reason I tried Airbnb : I was disgusted by all the bad feedback I read about mid-budget hotels in Vegas.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 17:34:17 »
I think I'm going to try AirBnB for my next trip... I love my fancy hotels though and I can't imagine any apartment will live up to a 4/5 star room :))

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 September 2016, 22:42:53 »
You should also checkout homeaway.com
My family has used it on a few trips now. Is fair priced and feels better than staying in a hotel.
We have even used it out of the country.

Offline WarCommand

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 08:46:24 »
I've used it quite a few times, never had a negative experience. Some better than others for sure, but it's nice not having to even meet the owner most of the time.

They're also almost always cheaper than hotels.

Offline pwade3

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 September 2016, 13:26:10 »
My sister and I used it for a trip to Chicago. The apartment we stayed at was closer to where we wanted to be than any hotel and cheaper to boot.

Offline Chief Clukey

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 21 September 2016, 10:15:06 »
I traveled to Iceland over the summer this year and used AirBnb the entire time. Iceland is a very friendly country and it worked out better than if I had stayed in a hotel. I'd say that the real advantage to AirBnb is that you get to interact with others who actually live there and get a real sense of the travel experience. Plus, your host usually knows where all the best stuff to do in the area is. This was a huge advantage and all my hosts really hooked me up with info that made my first experience out of country absolutely amazing!  :D

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 22 September 2016, 20:57:04 »
I basically use AirBNB if I am planning a trip.  I enjoy staying in a neighborhood and person's home environment rather than a hotel in a downtown or off-the-interstate location, I hate hotels.  I also have very low standards for places that I stay, so I do not expect much. I also like having conversations with people about the places they live.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing