Author Topic: Should Obamacare be repealed?  (Read 36822 times)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
Re: Should Obamacare be repealed?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 09:30:14 »
One way I was personally affected by Obamacare:

Due to the Affordable Care Act, I can't work more than 29.5 hours a week or my company will be fined. Why? Because Obamacare states that all employees who work more than 29.5 hours MUST be offered health insurance, or the feds will fine your company.  But seeing as how I have only worked here for (almost) two months and am still a lowly intern, I am still not eligible for health benefits through my company.

Synopsis: I was screwed out of better paychecks as a direct result of Obamacare.

It's the same with minimum wage -- progressives believe that if they artificially put a "floor" or a "ceiling" on something that the market will not react. ObamaCare has made hiring people more expensive and riskier, and shockingly, businesses are less likely to hire new people. Anyone catch Sebelius' testimony to Congress about the digital rock that she paid $600 million for? Progressives are always whining about how "big business" cannot be trusted -- but government can and should be trusted. If the CEO of any company lost $600 million and just pffted about it, they would be done as CEO. Or at least there would be the possibility that a head would roll, even if not their head.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Malphas

« Reply #151 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 14:32:23 »
Time the USA just grew up and put a state-funded basic healthcare service in place that doesn't suck balls, like the rest of the civilised world. Just pay for it by making a few cuts in the massively overinflated defence budget then it doesn't even cost the taxpayer anything more than they're already paying. It's not going to destroy the private healthcare sector, or dictate the quality of healthcare people get, or whatever other manic delusions conservatards think.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:26:38 »
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 December 2017, 23:22:46 by Glod »

Offline iri

« Reply #153 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:50:24 »
a full on balanced state-funded public healthcare system that liberals have championed for decades (which i think is impossible to do, sorry guys)
why what is possible in other countries is impossible in the states?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:54:58 »
a full on balanced state-funded public healthcare system that liberals have championed for decades (which i think is impossible to do, sorry guys)

because we have reached the point of no return, to uproot the private healthcare system which is part of our economy with deep roots, would just be impossible; it doesnt exactly mean i personally support the way it is right now, it just means i don't think (purely my opinion only) its possible as a non-expert citizen that belongs to no political affiliation. Democrats know this so instead of pushing public healthcare, they decided they want to interfere with the private system as much as they saw possible.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:56:11 »

greed and capitalism just to name a few reasons....we wouldn't have any doctors left

http://www.balancedpolitics.org/universal_health_care.htm
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 15:57:49 by SpAmRaY »

Offline iri

« Reply #156 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:23:31 »
okay then.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Malphas

« Reply #157 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:26:52 »
I think the fundamental obstacle to a public healthcare system in the US, is that a large proportion of the US public have been indoctrinated by corpo-political forces over generations that the government spending money on benefiting the population is somehow evil and wrong, but spending it on invading/interfering/administrating foreign countries, sending foreign aid, maintaining a massive armed forces/nuclear deterrent on standby, bailing out corporations, etc. etc. is A-OK.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:28:30 »
I think the fundamental obstacle to a public healthcare system in the US, is that a large proportion of the US public have been indoctrinated by corpo-political forces over generations that the government spending money on benefiting the population is somehow evil and wrong, but spending it on invading/interfering/administrating foreign countries, sending foreign aid, maintaining a massive armed forces/nuclear deterrent on standby, bailing out corporations, etc. etc. is A-OK.

In some ways that is definitely true however, I don't see how the United States government could ever manage a public healthcare system.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:51:09 »
Pretty much at the end of the day its not that Americans don't want awesome free healthcare (i get this feeling parts of the world think we are a bunch of ****ing idiots) but like many other things in the world there is a difference between "want" and what is actually possible. Its all about variables man. And like ray said, i also don't see how its possible this federal government could ever manage healthcare, like seriously. I do believe however that if a individual state can pull it off successfully without the federal government, i think power to them; let them do it. I think Hawaii is the state im thinking of that pulled it off successfully, i know people think of Massachusetts but i thought there were some problems there, don't feel like looking it up.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 16:54:49 by Glod »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #160 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:00:06 »
Pretty much at the end of the day its not that Americans don't want awesome free healthcare (i get this feeling parts of the world think we are a bunch of ****ing idiots) but like many other things in the world there is a difference between "want" and what is actually possible. Its all about variables man. And like ray said, i also don't see how its possible this federal government could ever manage healthcare, like seriously. I do believe however that if a individual state can pull it off successfully without the federal government, i think power to them; let them do it. I think Hawaii is the state im thinking of that pulled it off successfully, i know people think of Massachusetts but i thought there were some problems there, don't feel like looking it up.

Health "Care" isn't the problem.. It comes down to people's "Health"..

Health-care is like a band-aid to a major flesh wound.. and that is the fact that many un-informed guys out there are making poor health choices,  junk-food, no exercise..

The politics in the matter is just private interests trying to extract profits..

They prefer to keep people unhealthy.. that way m0re profits.

Now onto Obama care itself.. the problem is with the establishment of it, it will become the most powerful entity in the business..  And that means LESS PROFITS for everyone...

The government can not be seen charging exorbitant rates for the "people's care"...  so that establishes a ceiling on medical-care prices...

Relative to Private health care corporations... that is daunting, because now they have to lower their prices just to compete in a game that they CAN NOT WIN....  because the government WINS all...

I think as far as health-care is concerned.. 1 system is good...   but as to whether the healthcare will make people more healthy...   This is another matter entirely..

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:06:49 »

greed and capitalism just to name a few reasons....we wouldn't have any doctors left

Just for reference, the NHS is crumbling, we are worryingly close to the edge. We have a problem being, we train doctors, they work for a few months. Hard work, I agree doctors and nurses do alot of good hard graft. Anyway, after a while, say 6months to a year these fresh doctors and nurses realise they can be getting paid much more in the states, and they're off.

I think its supposed to be something like 10 years from now, we're done, finito, over.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:10:24 »

Just for reference, the NHS is crumbling, we are worryingly close to the edge. We have a problem being, we train doctors, they work for a few months. Hard work, I agree doctors and nurses do alot of good hard graft. Anyway, after a while, say 6months to a year these fresh doctors and nurses realise they can be getting paid much more in the states, and they're off.

I think its supposed to be something like 10 years from now, we're done, finito, over.

human nature...

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #163 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:25:31 »

Health-care is like a band-aid to a major flesh wound.. and that is the fact that many un-informed guys out there are making poor health choices,  junk-food, no exercise..

The politics in the matter is just private interests trying to extract profits..

yeah so how realistically do we change that without putting on the table radical ideas that will never happen such as forcing people's hands? is anyone with power either in government or privately actually introducing realistic solutions and successfully achieving majority support for the solutions? nope, we are ****ed

Offline Malphas

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:33:18 »
It's nonsense anyway. Everyone could be living an ideally healthy lifestyle but everyone is eventually going to start failing regardless, as an inevitable consequence of the degenerative aging process. Cancer, heart attacks, stroke, diabetes, etc. will still exist. People will still be born with genetic illnesses. Communicable diseases and viruses will still exist. Car crashes, home and workplace accidents, fires, drowings, etc. will still exist.

The only way anyone will not be dependent on healthcare at some point in their lives is if they happen to be stuck down dead one day through an accident or unforeseen health condition. If people were to accept this fact then they'd realise the most efficient and practical thing to do is to provide healthcare the same way we provide other essential infrastructure, i.e. as a universal, taxpayer funded service.
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:35:49 by Malphas »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #165 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 17:43:20 »

yeah so how realistically do we change that without putting on the table radical ideas that will never happen such as forcing people's hands? is anyone with power either in government or privately actually introducing realistic solutions and successfully achieving majority support for the solutions? nope, we are ****ed

First.. I am saying there are 2 separate powers at work here..

One is people's health....

Second is Business....

People are rolling the arguments together..

In my opinion the Obama Care debate is purely business.. because that's where its implications are..  the health care will save people from the edge of dying.. but it will do very little to improve people's general "health" , because   life-saving technology is always TOO LATE..

So the separate side which I've broken from the Obama care debate... is how DO we improve people's health..

I have not detailed this earlier.

I believe education is as much as you can do..  Campaign and let people know.. that their overindulgence is what is killing them..

AS IS... the government takes no firm stance on informing the people of their choices..

And this leaves a huge gap for the "miracle-promises" of health by crafty intermediates... crash-diets, excessive-routine-exercise,  etc etc..

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #166 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 18:53:15 »
Relevant:

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #167 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 20:09:51 »
Nice!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #168 on: Fri, 01 November 2013, 09:08:19 »
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #170 on: Mon, 04 November 2013, 09:51:41 »
Not only should ObamaCare be repealed, this is the plan I would implement in it's place, written up by John Mackey, CEO of WholeFoods. Mackey's plan would open up the healthcare industry to more competition, and make it easier for people to save for healthcare-related catastrophes.

My favorite parts of Mackey's plan are:

• tort reform
  • expand HSA (Health Savings Accounts)
  • transparent pricing

Tort reforms would bring down the cost of medical malpractice insurance, and help costs start to drop. HSA's are awesome because you could pass them on to your children. Lived a long, healthy life and died base jumping at the age of 99? Pass that HSA cash on to your descendants. Finally, transparent pricing is needed. Most people, since they don't pay out-of-pocket for healthcare services have no idea what things cost. If they did, people could (and likely would) be pissed at an X-Ray costing $2,000 in New York, and $200 in Alabama. Let the market work.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 06:54:41 »
Could we at least get them to repeal the ads for Obamacare?

43789-043791-1

Yeah, they're real ads. Risky sex, kegstands and low-information voters, woo!!! I'm hoping they make Obamacare: The Movie.

It turns out Julia is a bit of a skanky 'ho.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 November 2013, 06:56:58 by Krogenar »
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #172 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 07:12:12 »
Oh wow...seriously....are people really that stupid?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #173 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:10:54 »

Brought to us by the the first Vulcan president.

Do you "got" insurance? That's the URL, folks. http://doyougotinsurance.com

Who am I buying health insurance from, Dr. Dre?
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 08:42:05 »

Well can we at least call someone and ax them a question?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:33:57 »

And fill out the forms; be sure to enter your birfdate correctly.

Also, fraud: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Undercover-Cameras-Claim-to-Catch-Obamacare-Navigators-in-Fraud-231724611.html

I want bacon on my free lunch, please.
More

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:36:43 »

This disgraces the people of Vulcan.

He must be one of those Vulcan radicals who disregards logic...
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:38:26 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #177 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 09:39:58 »

And fill out the forms; be sure to enter your birfdate correctly.

Also, fraud: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Undercover-Cameras-Claim-to-Catch-Obamacare-Navigators-in-Fraud-231724611.html

I want bacon on my free lunch, please.

Well you did see where they did not screen people for prior records before letting them be navigators, which means plenty of ex-cons are on the job :thumb:

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #178 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 10:52:41 »
Well you did see where they did not screen people for prior records before letting them be navigators, which means plenty of ex-cons are on the job :thumb:

They should just repeal the bill and put in some more market-based reforms. It would fill two sheets of paper, both sides, and could be easily read and understood by anyone who cares to read it. Instead, they're going to spend something like $250 billion per year, for the next decade... to do almost nothing of value. You could have just given the people the money directly and the problem would have been largely solved.

President Krogenar: "Here's 1.5 million dollars, citizen. By law you are required to place this money in a health savings account, and can only use it for health-related purchases as outlined in my new bill. So don't even think of using this for liposuction, rhinoplasty, or aromatherapy. The Federal government wishes you well, and hopes you will use this money wisely. If you don't, it's no longer our problem -- so if you do manage to use this money to buy magic beans, it's not our problem." (kicks over the podium)

That scenario (as ridiculous as it might sound) would have been better than ObamaCare.
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 10:54:41 »
I hope obamacare will cover depression.

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #180 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 11:06:35 »

You have to smile while they fix your jacked ass with a jacked system, Jack.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 13 November 2013, 11:10:26 »

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
tp thread is tp thread

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 14:38:28 »

(Attachment Link)

:thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb: TALKIN BOUT HEY! JACK.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:25:57 »
facebook is so funny

« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2013, 16:27:34 by SpAmRaY »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......