Author Topic: Yo Trackballers: CST LTrac, Elecom Huge Or... ?  (Read 771 times)

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
Yo Trackballers: CST LTrac, Elecom Huge Or... ?
« on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 17:04:45 »
Hi,

I'm a nerd who grew up with AOL v2.5, Splatterball, Instant Messages and mIRC bots. I took an interest in programming, and learned to make mischievous "Proggies", tools that you could punt people offline with or flood someones inbox with mass mail... when deleting stuff was a pain. I was such a turd as a teen.

Andddd I never, not once, tried a trackball.

Now that I'm a grown man, and experience RSI... sore wrists and hands from excessive mouse -> keyboard -> mouse -> keyboard movements... I need to find a solution

What trackball should I pop my cherry with?

CST LTrac

orrr

Elecom Huge

orrr

Whatever you think is better =)

Thanks!

UPDATE:

So far, so good.

A little awkward ergnomically speaking, and static friction is pretty high. I hope, with time, it'll smooth out.

I am going to most likely order an L-Trac soon as well and compare it side by side.
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:57:27 by bmilcs »

ES87   5 | 4 | 3 |   2 | 1
 KBD75  X | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
Re: Yo Trackballers: CST LTrac, Elecom Huge Or... ?
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 18:58:30 »
wait for the next generation of logitech ergo

Deets and dates on this?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 19:42:47 »
wait for the next generation of logitech ergo

Deets and dates on this?

Don't know..

but now that the hero sensor exists,  it doesn't make sense for them to use anything else..

The main barrier for general office use has been battery, so they had to have 2 separate types of products between absolute gaming performance vs Sensible battery life for Office.

But now that their Hero sensor can supply 6 months of use on 2x AA batteries  at 1000hz and comparable tracking performance to the 3366.. 

There's no reason why they would NOT use that sensor in all of their wireless line of mice/trackball..  Since the cost of the sensor is negligible compared to their msrp and putting that sensor in would garner them ABSOLUTE DOMINANCE in the Office productivity field.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Fire sale is happening. Slowly
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 20:45:18 »
I've been using my L TRAC at work for best part of 18 months now and I really like it. It's great for the small desk space, and it's just nicely shaped for me.

I've not used another trackball though so I can't say I prefer it over another.
Keyboard of the Month - April - Vote!

Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout Email me - katushkin at geekhack dot org | Twitter | Snapchat - Katushkin | Steam | Instagram|

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 15 May 2018, 21:27:02 »
Kensington have the Expert & Slimblade, both of which are popular. I have an Expert and like it.

The MX Ergo from Logitech is intriguing.

« Last Edit: Tue, 15 May 2018, 23:24:03 by Tactile »

Offline davkol

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 02:52:30 »
For me, it's between L-Trac and Slimblade.

The slimblade is easier to find (being a consumer-grade product from a major manufacturer) and has a somewhat more convenient button layout; I also like the idea of twist-to-scroll (and not the abysmal hardware ring on some other Kensington trackballs).

However, L-Trac is _much_ better quality and actually serviceable. It has a better sensor too, and so I don't have to use software acceleration at all.

I know some people talk about the chassis and how it's "more ergonomic" on the low-profile slimblade, but I don't think it matters. The long, contoured  CST chassis is quite comfortable to rest the palm on, and if you set your relative desk/arm height correctly, you probably shouldn't be resting any part of your hand on the desk or trackball itself; external support (from a thick book to ErgoRest) can be used anyway.

Elecom HUGE and DEFT Pro are on my radar, but I've been disappointed by the quality of their smaller/older models (EX-G and DEFT). I could live with the lack of a proper chassis coating (many industrial trackballs aren't much better in this regard) and those button switches (I can replace them by myself, which I've had to do already), but I haven't thought of any way to fix the cheap wheel Elecom uses.

I'm not a fan of thumb-operated trackballs for full-time usage—you might have noticed the Reddit post about de Quervain syndrome, which doesn't go well with current overuse of touch-screen/trackpad-operated portables. Although it's relatively convenient to carry around with a laptop.

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 03:39:55 »
I have Kensington Expert, Elecom DEFT, Elecom HUGE.

at the first day of using Elecom HUGE, my hand hurt... I guess it needs "getting used to"

I have used it for ~8 months, no problems. Right now I'm using it for gaming :)) not just web browsing/working.
my pointer and middle fingers are used for operating the ball,
the thumb has left click, scroll, back/forward to care,
the ring finger and pinky finger also have their buttons, so I won't be worried about my fingers getting lazy :D

I definitely recommend you trying out the trackball, also you should keep a glasses-cleaning cloth nearby and clean the ball regularly, that will ensure smooth operation of the ball. (maybe there is other cloth would work but I, myself, use glasses-cleaning cloth)

I have already have DEFT Pro on order, I feel it's time to replace the old DEFT ;D
---
about the MX Ergo, I bought one for my cousin as he wanted to try trackball and the tinting feature fancies him (a while ago he wanted to try vertical mouse but their low DPI is a turn down). Well, it seems he gets used to the MX Ergo in matter of days.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke

Online algernon

• A tiny mouse, a hacker.
    • Diaries of a Madman
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 05:24:57 »
I'm a big fan of my Kensington Orbit w/ scroll ring. It's affordable, and I found the scroll rings much nicer to use than other scrolling solutions (wheels or ball tilting). It only has two buttons, mind you, which may be an issue. The scroll ring isn't perfect either, but it's more convenient than anything else I've tried so far.

I also have a Logitech M570, a thumb-trackball. Didn't manage to get used to it, so its sitting idle.

Online fanpeople

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 05:29:22 »
Go back 15 years to ball mouse times, flip mouse and boom instant trackball.

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 07:03:59 »

lies.. that didn't work , there was no top roller to hold the ball up, it'd just grind

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 13:35:54 »
After looking at both mice a while, and struggling to finish my day, I ordered the Elecom Huge. I am hoping it's not as high profile as it seems.

I will most likely grab a few diff ones to test out side by side and return the losers ;)           

KBD75  X | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Online fanpeople

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 17:16:19 »

lies.. that didn't work , there was no top roller to hold the ball up, it'd just grind

Not in zero gravity.

Offline emenelopee

• *klomp klomp klomp* I step on your house 🦖
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 21:16:47 »

Not in zero gravity.

Yes in zero gravity. Zero gravity doesn't mean it floats up. You want gravity and low density object in heavy atmosphere for that.

[enter Uranus joke here]

I heart my Kensington Expert but the scroll wheel is scratchy. The LTrac has too few buttons and a too-far-up scroll wheel position (on paper, never tried one). I've been thinking about a Huge but need convincing before I cross the line.

If the new Logitechs have large balls, with a scroll wheel like the Expert, and come out soon I'm probably in.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 21:47:08 »
I heart my Kensington Expert but the scroll wheel is scratchy. The LTrac has too few buttons and a too-far-up scroll wheel position (on paper, never tried one). I've been thinking about a Huge but need convincing before I cross the line.

I agree that looking at the LTrac it seems the scroll positioning is weird. But after just thinking about how my hand rests on mine, I've noticed that I have my hand almost cupped over the top of the whole device with the tip of my middle finger touching the scroll wheel, index finger on the left click and ring finger on the right click. I took some pictures for clarity:

Katushkin's Clearout Email me - katushkin at geekhack dot org | Twitter | Snapchat - Katushkin | Steam | Instagram|

Offline davkol

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 02:48:22 »
The LTrac has too few buttons and a too-far-up scroll wheel position (on paper, never tried one).
L-Trac has three buttons + optionally two external.

The wheel position isn't really a problem (see katushkin's pics), the middle button can be a bit harder to find by touch, though.

Online fanpeople

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 03:38:26 »

Not in gravity and low density object in heavy atmosphere.

Yes in zero gravity. Zero gravity doesn't mean it floats up. You want gravity and low density object in heavy atmosphere for that.

[enter Uranus joke here]

If the new Logitechs have large balls, with a scroll wheel like the Expert, and come out soon I'm probably in.

.... thats what i said  :blank:

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 06:33:59 »

I agree that looking at the LTrac it seems the scroll positioning is weird. But after just thinking about how my hand rests on mine, I've noticed that I have my hand almost cupped over the top of the whole device with the tip of my middle finger touching the scroll wheel, index finger on the left click and ring finger on the right click. I took some pictures for clarity:

Show Image

Show Image

Hrrrrrrmm..

This needs m0ar tenting.. at most 35 degrees on something this thick..

Also,  This seems the ideal size for a logitech mod up.. stick a logitech mouse in there for m0at accurate sensor.

What is the shape of the lens.

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 07:29:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for posting this.

What size hand do you have?

I have roughly 20.5cm/10cm hands; I wonder how that'd work with the LTrac.

KBD75  X | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 18:00:11 »

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks for posting this.

What size hand do you have?

I have roughly 20.5cm/10cm hands; I wonder how that'd work with the LTrac.

Fully stretched my right hand is 23cm from pinky to thumb tip and 20cm from tip of my middle finger to bottom of my palm

Offline bmilcs

• bryan | bmilcs
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 09:56:55 »

So far, so good.

A little awkward ergnomically speaking, and static friction is pretty high. I hope, with time, it'll smooth out.

I am going to most likely order an L-Trac soon as well and compare it side by side.

KBD75  X | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1