Author Topic: G9x is finally giving out, trouble picking a replacement.  (Read 15862 times)

Offline Mkilbride

G9x is finally giving out, trouble picking a replacement.
« on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 23:10:18 »
I've used a G700s. I own a G502 and absolutely adore the optical sensor of it.  But the shape...I use finger tip / claw grip and I just cannot FPS with it, despite it's sensor being SO good.  Also heavy.  The G9x just has the perfect shape. I've often thought about putting the G502 in the G9x's shell but I don't have the technical ability to do so.

I've been looking at the G303, Discontinued but available refurbed via eBay at 50-75$~ range. Heard from some it is a good G9x replacement, but the diamond shape. Great 3368 sensor.  Kinda suchs to have to go refurb and I mean, there's a reason it was discontinued...then again, so was G9x despite being Logitechs best mouse ever. A refresh with a modern sensor would sell like hotcakes.

I've also looked at the G Pro. Which I read is basically the G303 Successor with a better shape. Yet I hear it can be kind of unbalanced due to the rounded edges or so, as well as the cable being an issue. I hear the G101/102 fixed this issue, but uses the Mercury sensor, which I've read is pretty good but has some slight acceleration, VS the 3368 which doesn't. 

Besides that, the SteelSeries Rival 600 has some good reviews, a great sensor as well and is new. Looks good, price is abit hefty though, but gotta pay money for quality.

I've heard some decent thoughts about the Zowie FK2 as being an all around good mouse as well. But it's hard to tell with some of thse mouses, they all seem to have a large hump in the middle, while the G9x is almost smooth / flat.

Been watching that Rocket guys videos and he recommends 60^ of your hands measurements:

Mine are :

60% of that is:

His list of recommendations are:

http://www.rocketjumpninja.com/tag/SFTIP/

All around the G Pro would seem to be what would fit me best. But I was wondering what people here thought.

Offline ThoughtArtist

Re: G9x is finally giving out, trouble picking a replacement.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 02 March 2018, 16:09:47 »
The diamond shape of the g303 is actually good, it's just a bit too sharp on the edges (much better than Apple's somewhat recent abortion of a wireless mouse though... you could scrape an icy windshield with that thing). But it really helps  aiming as the diamond shape accentuates a mean claw grip giving you extra rotational control. It makes the legendary shape of g400s feel like a potato for FPS playing

Logitech discontinuing it was a MISTAKE on their part. They needed to refine it, by adding removable grip options, round it a tad, and make it truly ambidextrous. They should NOT have thrown it away and go with overpriced g900 and generic other shapes with their other new releases.

Round off the back a bit with a rotary tool, get some gun tape to customize the grip, thank me later
« Last Edit: Fri, 02 March 2018, 16:22:05 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 14:03:32 »
Just to update on this, I tried the Zowie FK1+, KPOE, Rival 600 on top of the G203.

I then, somewhat oddly went with the G903 after noticing a trend. I tend to prefer ambi mice for my finger-tip grip. This one is lower, closer to the G9x, 1.59 instead of the 1.7 everything is these days. It's like 66.5m wide, so not the 70mm wide of the G9x, but close. I've used it for a few weeks now and am in love with it, but keep getting duds. On my third one already. The Wireless is flawless. Seen testing shown that it even beats some popular wired mice and is at least on par with the top mice...no cord is incredibly freeing. Even just 3 years ago, the idea of going wireless seemed like a joke, but Logitechs Lightspeed wireless..wow.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 14:48:21 »
The rival series was pretty good when I tried it in store.
Though, for my purposes I got the 603 due to needing wireless.
« Last Edit: Sat, 17 March 2018, 14:52:36 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 00:16:52 »
u can see my struggle here
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=82485.0

i settled for g pro for now.
I love Elzy

Offline Mkilbride

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 18 March 2018, 01:17:57 »
G203 is the same as a G Pro shape.

It worked well, but in the end I just wasn't quite satisfied, though for 25$..crazy hard to beat. G903 seems to be working well for me though. If they made a G203 that was 70mm wide though..probably be an amazing replacement.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 00:46:45 »
The G9x shape definitely clicked for me when I first got it but it wasn't something I couldn't move on from. I picked up one of the wireless G602's and it works fine like 95% of the time. The other 5% of the time I'm playing counterstrike and I hit the max velocity of the sensor but the G602 was definitely a nice change I got used to otherwise.

Offline mittyzz

• Pet kitties play with _______...
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 20:54:12 »
I've been using Final Mouse lately. G9X is/was my grail mouse though...I miss that thing. :( Almost bought one for way too much a while back.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 June 2018, 07:56:23 »
I think you've got the technicals figured out, so how about you proceed with Pawing Test™? ;)

In my experience no amount of theory can hope to replace putting my hands on the thing. Obviously, pawing the mouse doesn't answer all of your important questions, but hey, you've got the theory already figured out and besides, the moment you like the shape, you can just use your phone to google what people have to say about that exact mouse and that one only, so you can avoid absorbing too much unnecessary information noise and spending days or weeks in deliberation mode.

Myself, as long as the sensor is the same, I'm perfectly willing to buy an 'inferior' brand that just has the better shape. Switches, rubber finish, casing quality, cord, plug, etc., you can all feel it once you start pawing everything the shop has to offer, and 'inferior' brands often offer much better materials than and comparable workmanship to maybe not Logitech's gaming nice but certainly Steelseries, for example.

The trick with inferior brands is you don't even know they exist (and they often stop existing after a short while), much less their model line-up, so you really need to just go and start pawing. And they're often discounted because Saturn or some other big retail chain has given them the opportunity of a lifetime to sell a huge volume and raise some quick cash.

And everything is probably made in the same old factory in China anyway.

Edit: Several days ago, I pawed something new from Logitech, probably newer than G102 but similar form factor. It did fit my hand well and I liked it, but there was still something 'inferior' that I liked better.
« Last Edit: Sat, 09 June 2018, 07:58:16 by NewbieOneKenobi »