Author Topic: Consoles vs pc?  (Read 50440 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Consoles vs pc?
« on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 01:11:10 »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Re: Consoles vs pc?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 04:01:31 »
Pc for fps/rts

Console for open world game. Like GTA

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline Gunni

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 04:30:19 »

I actually don't mind console, I used to play Xbox 360 quite a bit. But now I solely play PC.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 06:49:24 by Gunni »
CM Storm Quickfire TK w/ Browns HHKB Pro 2

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 05:12:09 »
I just play games, platform isn't really important.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 05:41:46 »
I've never had a console.  I mostly play FPS, and consoles seem to me to be very clumsy for that - for example you can't just twitch the mouse to turn around.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline regack

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 06:27:30 »
I have a 360 and a PS3, but I play everything on the PC that isn't a console specific title.   I think I have 4 games for Xbox and 3 for the PS3...  and ~30 games in Steam alone.

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:22:40 »
I play on both, it just depends on what I'm playing. For FPS games PC is the way to go, and for games like God of War and Assassins Creed, console is just a lot more comfortable. It all depends on what you're playing.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:30:44 »
Show Image

I actually don't mind console, I used to play Xbox 360 quite a bit. But now I solely play PC.

Yahtzee!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline SeriouSSpotS

• 60% is love, 60% is life
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:31:35 »
Show Image

QFR - MX black   |   Poker X - Panda Clears   |   Poker 2 - MX blue

Offline abdulmuhsee

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 07:36:18 »
For families, sometimes consoles are necessary.  Wives don't always dig the idea of playing something over LAN, and both the setup and games on the Wii are perfect for women and others who aren't gamers but you want to spend time with.

For children as well, I'd rather give them a controller and insert a game disc then have them mess with a computer, and I most certainly wouldn't want their grimy hands anywhere near my keyboard (or computer in general) :-).

But for my own personal time, I really don't enjoy consoles.

Offline ITzNybble

• Formerly curro123083
  • Nibble or Nybble either way it sounds delicious!
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:18:46 »
I grew up on a PC then switched to console for most of my early teen years and through college, then when I grew up and learned the value of money, I found out that i didn't like that pc's always looked better than their console counterpart and that they could just upgrade when needed. Also the modding community on PC is quite extrodinary.

so for me I would say PC, still getting used to FPS on pc again, used to play Unreal turny all day not I can barely play BF3 without feeling awkward :)
WASD V1 Custom - MX Blue
Custom Miami QFR - MX Green
Handwired Redox-Manuform - Box Pink/Box Navy
KBD67 MKII PolyCarbonate - Gateron CJ

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:25:43 »
PC all the way for me, Steam makes playing all the games I want so much cheaper. I don't miss the console experience at all, bought an X-Box controller so for games that suit a more casual gaming experience I use Big Picture mode and play on my 32" TV.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:27:27 »
PS3 some pretty great exclusives though, like the God of War and Killzone series.
IBM Model F | IMB Model M | Poker II MX Brown | Poker II MX Clear | Filco TKL MX Brown | Bastardized Razer Blackwidow TE MX Blue | Logitech G602 |  Cyborg R.A.T. 7 | | Logitech MX518 | Icemat  | Artisan Hien

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:32:31 »
WINDOWS 98 IS A GREAT PLATFORM FOR GAMING.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:33:37 »

Haha did we forget to log into the 'microsoft windows' account?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:34:27 »

Haha did we forget to log into the 'microsoft windows' account?

Oops.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:35:03 »
PS3 some pretty great exclusives though, like the God of War and Killzone series.

Luckily my room-mate has a PS3 hooked up to the main TV so I have the best of both worlds :)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:37:25 »
If your a gamer and you don't own at least one of the current console's your missing out on some really cool experiences;

Journey
Infamous
Uncharted
Heavy Rain
Gran Turismo
Metal Gear
Gears of War
Halo
El Shaddai
Shaddows of the Damned
Bayonetta
Red Dead

Just some examples, PC is great but there are some great console games too

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 09:54:34 »
PC.  They're only limited by how much money you want to spend and don't have console exclusives that only exist as incentives for buying crippled hardware.
PCs can also emulate games for most consoles anyway.

Why are consoles crippled?

*Can't upgrade hardware
*Can't run most software
*Can't modify your game files
*Limited communications
*Limited peripherals
*Limited selection of games compared with PC
*Little to no free-to-play, homebrew, or indie
*Peripherals are console specific
*Software is console-specific
*Software is usually locked to a physical object to prevent copying
*Limited ability to run multiple programs or apps at the same time
*Consoles are not easily repairable
*FPS controls are better on PC

Basically consoles are meant to be disposable entertainment for children or people who don't have a decent PC.  The next console version comes out and suddenly your entire console, games, accessories, and peripherals are useless.

I don't even know why there is still debate over console versus PC.  If you can afford a PC, get one.  It will save you money in the long run and games will be more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:00:14 by PointyFox »

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:02:11 »
PC.  They're only limited by how much money you want to spend and don't have console exclusives that only exist as incentives for buying crippled hardware.
PCs can also emulate games for most consoles anyway.

Why are consoles crippled?

*Can't upgrade hardware
*Can't run most software
*Can't modify your game files
*Limited communications
*Limited peripherals
*Limited selection of games compared with PC
*Little to no free-to-play, homebrew, or indie
*Peripherals are console specific
*Software is console-specific
*Software is usually locked to a physical object to prevent copying
*Limited ability to run multiple programs or apps at the same time
*Consoles are not easily repairable
*FPS controls are better on PC

Basically consoles are meant to be disposable entertainment for children or people who don't have a decent PC.  The next console version comes out and suddenly your entire console, games, accessories, and peripherals are useless.

I don't even know why there is still debate over console versus PC.  If you can afford a PC, get one.  It will save you money in the long run and games will be more enjoyable.

*Steam sales

ftfy
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:05:18 »
I don't even know why there is still debate over console versus PC.

Because there are still and always will be children that need to be vindicated on the decisions they make by random strangers.
If all you care about is playing games and having fun, then you don't arbitrary limit your self to one ecosystem and simply play the games you want to play on the system that best suits you or that the game is on.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:09:15 »

Because there are still and always will be children that need to be vindicated on the decisions they make by random strangers.
If all you care about is playing games and having fun, then you don't arbitrary limit your self to one ecosystem and simply play the games you want to play on the system that best suits you or that the game is on.

I think of any reason a game would be better or more fun on a console than a PC if it exists for both. 

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:11:22 »

I think of any reason a game would be better or more fun on a console than a PC if it exists for both. 

Fun is subjective, trying to assume or presume anything else would be a waste of your time. The only thing that's important is the games.

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:12:14 »
meh, i like both but generally prefer pc more now. ever since i built a pc about 2 years ago i haven't really felt the need to play xbox, considering my pc does everything my xbox could but better.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:13:55 »
Its the console nerds fault that we havent gotten a single good fps game in over 10 years. ;)

Also no games with good graphics due to everythibg have to be console enabled... but who cares really, we got keyboards.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:17:00 by phetto »

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:15:49 »

Fun is subjective, trying to assume or presume anything else would be a waste of your time. The only thing that's important is the games.

If it is the same game being compared on both PC and console I don't see how it could be subjective. 

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 10:43:41 »
Its the console nerds fault that we havent gotten a single good fps game in over 10 years. ;)

That's one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Sure, PS3 and XBOX have Battlefield 3 but it's nothing even remotely close to the PC version. The graphics for the console versions are turned down by about 30%, and not to mention the fact that PC has 64 players and console has 32. It's completely different game.

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 11:36:45 »
Doesnt matter. The reason that we dobt have nicer games is because of consoles.

Btw, battlefield isnt a real game ;)

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 11:57:18 »
FPS gaming:

Crosshair movement with PC using mouse > console using gamepad
Counterstrike > all others

All other games are still better on PC because of graphics and you can just plug in a controller if needed.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:00:46 »
it's not really a question even...just logically PC wins
PointyFox had a good summary and list
Especially for FPS games, more control and accuracy is so much better

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #30 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:05:46 »

You're right, it's a pair of sandals.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:15:08 »

It's true. The best PC games on the market are shallow husks of 'what if' thanks to consoles. Imagine how much better Dota2, Starcraft 2, Quake Live and CS:CZ would be without Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo ****ing things up.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:22:54 »
Baldgye you seem to have forgotten about Valve's latest console  balls up, CSGO... Dem Grahpics but dat gameplay.
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:25:05 »
Baldgye you seem to have forgotten about Valve's latest console  balls up, CSGO... Dem Grahpics but dat gameplay.

Sorry, I mixed up CZ and GO (shows how much I play CSS) lulz

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:25:50 »

goty 2011

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:26:48 »
If it wasn't for console's Demigod would still be a game with a community of lovely happy people!

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:32:18 »

Sorry, I mixed up CZ and GO (shows how much I play CSS) lulz

Oh another css fan! Wooop woop!

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:41:52 »
I have religiously played every cs game and csgo has the best shot registration and lag compensation so far.

It still has bugs but they will be fixed in time.

Bug fixes > weapon skins lol

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:46:34 »
Any game that isn't an MMO or FPS I will play on Xbox. Mouse + Keyboard will always trump controllers for accuracy, speed and flipping directions quickly. Every controller FPS I played adds some wonky auto-aim
and it has always felt sluggish. Yes, you can increase track speed, but it still doesn't match a mouse and keyboard.

I switched to Xbox for D3 because it just felt right on the console. And Blizzard did such a nice job with the UI and button assignments/setup. It really is quite intuitive.

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:50:12 »
I have religiously played every cs game and csgo has the best shot registration and lag compensation so far.

It still has bugs but they will be fixed in time.

Bug fixes > weapon skins lol

Yes but charging for weapon skins in a paid game WTF? Also csgo is cheaper than CSS, css is better than 1.6 imo, although cz wasnt great it was better than go which urgh... and hit reg and lag compensation do not make a game.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #40 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:53:36 »
I only ever played CZ and CSS to any kind of level, after spending like 2yrs or so playing the **** out of CSS I got pretty tired of having to constantly download a million of the same Quake and UT sound packs with different names when ever the servers I used would go down....

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:53:51 »
 it is all based on preference but as you may have already figured out... csgo has killed css and 1.6 in competitive play.
most leagues do not even offer css anymore after the release of cs:go and cz has been dead for years most still offer 1.6 atm but are planning to drop it also.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 12:58:08 »

It's true. The best PC games on the market are shallow husks of 'what if' thanks to consoles. Imagine how much better Dota2, Starcraft 2, Quake Live and CS:CZ would be without Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo ****ing things up.

I don't understand - what exactly did the consoles do to ruin Quake Live, a game which is actually just Quake III Arena and was made in 1999?
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 13:00:01 »

I don't understand - what exactly did the consoles do to ruin Quake Live, a game which is actually just Quake III Arena and was made in 1999?

Sorry I had set the [sarcasm] tags to invisible

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 13:02:42 »
Show Image

Sorry I forgot, internet is srs bzns

that gif is pretty awesome actually

Offline ynrozturk

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 13:12:39 »
That gif is awesome. God I love Battlefield.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 13:16:40 »
Show Image

It's not, but I've spent most of this thread saying that people should just play games and not worry about the system its on, figured it would be obvious I was talking nonsense as consoles have had almost nothing to do with most of those games.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 13:19:49 »
Show Image

It's not, but I've spent most of this thread saying that people should just play games and not worry about the system its on, figured it would be obvious I was talking nonsense as consoles have had almost nothing to do with most of those games.

I agree with you on the whole games thing, but I think a lot of the reason why people lambast consoles in this discussion is due to the consolification of Crysis 2, compared to the original Crysis. that game was definitely a victim of consoles, anyone who can't see that is deluding themselves. Same with RAGE.

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 14:25:42 »
Show Image

I agree with you on the whole games thing, but I think a lot of the reason why people lambast consoles in this discussion is due to the consolification of Crysis 2, compared to the original Crysis. that game was definitely a victim of consoles, anyone who can't see that is deluding themselves. Same with RAGE.

Crytek are the problem not console's. I remember it very well, Crysis sold 2 million copies after a few months... it launched as a PC game that most people couldn't even runlet alone at a good frame rate, it took what, like 6 months or so before even the most insane rigs could run it at max?
Yet Crytek CEO still made some bull**** story about how pirates were running his company and forcing it onto consoles, that's the reason Crysis 2 is a console game.

The fact Crysis 2 is a meh game comes more from the fact the team has so little imagination and creativity that meant they were lost doing anything other than a Farcry reskin and graphics update.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 18:04:22 »
i'd say both, if you're a gamer, you practically have everything, my wife and i are gamers, we have practically everything... but we're getting older too... so i don't have a vita yet... cuz there's no vita games., well there was one "Dragon's Crown" this is the side scroller that had that controversy of the insanely drawn women. But it came out on the ps3 also, so i just got it there instead, had to buy another ps3 controller (only ever had one)... an official one is 40bucks! (or 50?) i wasn't gonna buy no madcatz sh*t.

We also don't have the wii-u, cuz well no games for it, and my wii is a fckin paperweight, it's worthless.

It's coming to the point that smartphones and ipads are good enough! i know... omg... but we just came back from a trip to cancun, and instead of reading on the beach, she just played plants vs zombies 2, she got all the stars, whatever that means.

Really in my mind, i buy a console, when i like a game. vita as sh*t and wii-u has sh*t so i don't buy them. I bought a ps3, in feb... i think 2 years after it came out, for final fantasy xiii (i wasn't gonna play it on a xbox with 3 dvd swap) and for god of war 3. I got a xbox to play halo with my nephews.

DS has great games, don't have a 3DS yet, cuz well are there any good 3DS games? (i actually haven't kept up)

the last game i played on my pc was diablo3 with the wife, after 6months we got tired of the sh*tty game that blizzard made, we were really high level but, it's just a bad game.

other than that i just reserve my pc for RTS and such... i can't play fps anymore cuz i vomit, although, i recently found it, it maybe because i'm just so "twitchy" (i think from my quake days) that i make myself vomit, since playing 3rd person fps with my wife like last of us/uncharted series/assassin's creed.