Author Topic: Biggest trackpad ever?  (Read 4291 times)

Offline cool-RR

Biggest trackpad ever?
« on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 14:08:34 »
Hi everybody,

I'd like to buy a standalone trackpad. I want to try operating it with my right toe, so I could keep operating my keyboard with my hands. Yes, I know.

What I'm looking for is the biggest standalone trackpad I can buy. At 13cm x 11cm, Apple's Magic Trackpad is pretty big so it's a prime candidate, but: Do any of you know of any bigger trackpads?

Thanks,
Ram.

Offline SonOfSonOfSpock

Re: Biggest trackpad ever?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:38:07 »
I've never used them, but the Wacom Bamboo tablets are bigger.

I have both the Apple Magic Trackpad and the Logitech T650. They're both about the same size and are similar in use. I'd recommend either, but the Apple Trackpad has a slightly better feel.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:48:17 »
Thanks! It's indeed bigger.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:53:28 »
If money isn't an issue there are some Wacom Intuos Pen&Touch models. That's about the biggest you'll get I think.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 15:57:54 »
It looks like the Wacom ones are aimed at pens and drawing, while I want to use my toe and just move the mouse. I think I'll go for the Logitech.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:03:40 »
It looks like the Wacom ones are aimed at pens and drawing, while I want to use my toe and just move the mouse. I think I'll go for the Logitech.

The Pen&Touch models also function as normal trackpads if you just use your fingers. So the Intuos Pen&Touch models are the biggest trackpads you'll find that I am aware of.

Although they are a bit expensive if all you're going to use it for is a foot trackpad, so going for the Logitech is probably the better option.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:06:47 »
Hmm... I remember reading somewhere that they behave differently than normal trackpad, that if you press at a point without dragging to it it puts the cursor at the same point on the screen. (Hard to explain...)

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:22:04 »
Hmm... I remember reading somewhere that they behave differently than normal trackpad, that if you press at a point without dragging to it it puts the cursor at the same point on the screen. (Hard to explain...)

You can set the desired behaviour in the driver software I believe, I haven't tried the pen&touch models though, but on the regular pen tablet you can choose between trackpad behaviour or the "screen" behaviour and I would assume that it is still like that.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:28:26 »
Awesome, thanks!

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:33:02 »
Awesome, thanks!

If you're seriously thinking about getting an Intuos to use as a trackpad I would suggest sending Wacom an email asking them to confirm that you can actually use it as a normal trackpad and what the limitations are, because it's a lot of money for a trackpad, but afaik there are no others in that size.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:35:17 »
I actually found a person in my city selling a second-hand pen&touch for cheap. I'll call her tomorrow and possibly go try it out before buying  :)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:47:58 »
If you're into DIY, you could buy just a cheap digitizer and stuff at some Chinese website. I think you could go even bigger then, because they should have replacement part for those 10" tablets.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:49:05 »
I doubt I'll be able to pull off anything as responsive as a brand-name trackpad...

Offline longweight

• philanthropist
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:50:38 »
RSI here you come! That is going to hurt your toe!

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 20 September 2013, 16:53:41 »
Why?

Consider that a large part of RSI is because of the combination of clicking and moving (especially dragging) with the same hand. Since I'll be moving using the trackpad but using keyboard hotkeys to click, I think I'll suffer less RSI. Also, I use the mouse rarely, and this is for these rare occasions.

Offline zerone

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:07:49 »
Why not buy a micro mouse and just stick it to the side or bottom of your foot? That would be waaaay cheaper. And if you put it to the side of your foot, you can just leave it standing on its sole which should be much more enjoyable.

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:18:07 »
Interesting idea. But (a) it would mean I'd have to wear this special modified shoe, and it'll bug me on the 90% of the time when I don't need the mouse and (b) because it's attached to my foot, it'll move the cursor every time I move my foot on a surface, which most of the time is just my foot making out with the footrest and not trying to move the mouse.

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:20:11 »
I actually found a person in my city selling a second-hand pen&touch for cheap. I'll call her tomorrow and possibly go try it out before buying  :)

Hi, yes of course you can try the pad before you buy it.... why are you taking your shoes and socks off....?
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:23:08 »
It's Israel man :)

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 17:24:23 »
Oh, I got your joke 10 seconds late, I'm an idiot :)

Yeah, I won't really take my socks off when I check it out. I probably won't even tell her, don't want to look weird :)

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 September 2013, 18:01:54 »
Oh, I got your joke 10 seconds late, I'm an idiot :)

Yeah, I won't really take my socks off when I check it out. I probably won't even tell her, don't want to look weird :)

Yes, yes, don't want to give her the right impression. It says a lot that you don't worry about looking weird here. In this crowd, its on the low edge of weird, barely out of normal :)
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:03:56 »
Have you tried using a track ball with your foot?  I think that would be better since you are going to be clicking with your hands on the keyboard anyway.  I would tend to feel that the accuracy would be better at least.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:30:26 »
I don't even find trackballs comfortable when using them with my hands, I doubt I could control one comfortably using my feet.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:43:57 »
Fair enough.  Just thought I would ad my 2 cents.  Just thought that you might be willing to give it a shot if one could be had for cheap.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline cool-RR

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:49:00 »
I appreciate it :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 23 September 2013, 06:49:59 »
you could probably get a pretty close feel to it by rolling a golf ball under your foot while at your desk.