Author Topic: [IC] RetroBlight - Classic, now with more yellow! (On Hold -_- )  (Read 176078 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: [IC] RetroBlight - Classic, now with more yellow! (Full Contour SA)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:57:16 »
Error, the server does not like 01111000's name.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 13:57:31 »
Please include normal mods for those who want a more minimalistic look (like me).  This set would work well for my work PC.
Agreed, pls do

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:02:02 »
I also need to know if you guys want the color mods in a separate pack, or with the base kit for this very reason.

I think the color mods should be part of the base kit. It seems like they are fundamental to the design you were going for when creating this. Just my opinion!
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 14:20:14 »
Show Image

The left side is BEY, YAV, RDD
The right side is BFT, VAG, RDD

I like the left side quite a bit more. The YAV and BEY have more yellow in them and flow better with the off-grey and off-white alphanumeric keys.

That's just my 2 cents, of course :)

+1
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 15:33:38 »
I also need to know if you guys want the color mods in a separate pack, or with the base kit for this very reason.

I think the color mods should be part of the base kit. It seems like they are fundamental to the design you were going for when creating this. Just my opinion!

The one thing to note is that the colours are an additional 12 keys to the base kit which raises the price slightly.
If I was to separate the colour mods then I should not that ROB and CMYK will be in one single pack to ensure tipping.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 15:40:44 »
The one thing to note is that the colours are an additional 12 keys to the base kit which raises the price slightly.
If I was to separate the colour mods then I should not that ROB and CMYK will be in one single pack to ensure tipping.

My thinking was that the colored mods would be the 'base' (realizing that there would be both RGB and CMYK mods, so there would be additional keys, of course) and the beige mods would be the extra pack. Kind of like a 'Boring Joe' kit. For me, I'm much more interested in the set with the mods. I might be the minority there though. Either way, I'm getting the colored mods. :)
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #56 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:03:25 »

My thinking was that the colored mods would be the 'base' (realizing that there would be both RGB and CMYK mods, so there would be additional keys, of course) and the beige mods would be the extra pack. Kind of like a 'Boring Joe' kit. For me, I'm much more interested in the set with the mods. I might be the minority there though. Either way, I'm getting the colored mods. :)

The "Boring Joe" kit has been added.  :thumb:

Offline renne

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:19:24 »
are you doing a 3-1-2-3-4-3 profile? or all row 3?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 09 January 2015, 22:44:05 »
are you doing a 3-1-2-3-4-3 profile? or all row 3?

Like the title states, this is the full sculpt.
Since 3-1-2-3-4-3 is the mainstream thing, it will be what is used.

P.S. I have revamped the OP to be more concise.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 04:26:31 »

I totally LOVE your colour selections, particularly SP's - WAR and VAG which essentially highlights our ONLY true conflicts in the world today  8) .

Brilliant choices as always Frosty, keeping it real with the essentials in life........

Offline honoka

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:39:51 »
Cheers Frosty, things are looking good so far!

I'd love me some international kits but I think that would raise price and not everyone would be interested in that.
Instead, might I propose an all blank kit? At least for alphas and number row where legends actually differ. Modifiers and F-rows are fine as they are.
But maybe it would look better if actually every singel key were blank? Honestly, I'm here for the color choice and the profile ^^

Offline bowji

• Came for the Keycaps, stayed for the community.
« Reply #61 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 11:55:51 »
Great work! I personally find this more attractive than the other SA set thats currently getting a lot of attention.. I wish there were more options for the modifiers/colors.
Hope this IC works out!  :thumb:
               FREE GIRLDC!!     코리안 스레드

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 17:05:41 »
Cheers Frosty, things are looking good so far!

I'd love me some international kits but I think that would raise price and not everyone would be interested in that.
Instead, might I propose an all blank kit? At least for alphas and number row where legends actually differ. Modifiers and F-rows are fine as they are.
But maybe it would look better if actually every singel key were blank? Honestly, I'm here for the color choice and the profile ^^

Since this is the full sculpt instead of row 3, it would raise the price to add full international kits with complete legends.
However, if there is enough interest, I can add a kit that includes 1x1 blanks for every row.
This would allow you to replace all of your alphas which I expect to be good enough.

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:25:23 »
P.s. this replaced my love for penumbra :D

Offline honoka

[IC] RetroBlight - Classic, now with more yellow! (Full Contour SA)
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:41:05 »
However, if there is enough interest, I can add a kit that includes 1x1 blanks for every row.
Fair! People, voice your interest in this if you would like to have this option!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #65 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:45:35 »
How about a Mod Kit in Penumbra Blue? If it doesn't tip, it doesn't tip. I don't think it would detract orders from your primary Mod Kit. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 18:54:49 »
How about a Mod Kit in Penumbra Blue? If it doesn't tip, it doesn't tip. I don't think it would detract orders from your primary Mod Kit. :)

Do you mean just the ctrl, alt, and shift keys? I might be able to do that. Although would have to ask Bunny if he is fine with that, of course.
If you want all of the mods in Penumbra blue, I would personally be against that as I think it would be wrong to run a Penumbra R2 as someone who is not associated with [CTRL]ALT.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 19:00:05 »

Do you mean just the ctrl, alt, and shift keys? I might be able to do that. Although would have to ask Bunny if he is fine with that, of course.
If you want all of the mods in Penumbra blue, I would personally be against that as I think it would be wrong to run a Penumbra R2 as someone who is not associated with [CTRL]ALT.

Yeah, sorry, just to replace the colored mods. I know you already have the Boring Joes kit, and I like the muted colors jacobulus suggested, but I was just thinking it would look good with the Penumbra blue for those who want a bit of color, but don't always want RGB.

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #68 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 19:10:41 »

Yeah, sorry, just to replace the colored mods. I know you already have the Boring Joes kit, and I like the muted colors jacobulus suggested, but I was just thinking it would look good with the Penumbra blue for those who want a bit of color, but don't always want RGB.

I will keep that suggestion in mind.
Once I get my color ring from SP, I will begin finalizing all of the different choices and run an interest form to see what is viable.

Every set listed in the OP will likely be exactly what appears in the actual group buy.
The only thing that could change in the set listed would be colors.

Speaking of colors, I had an oversight with the numpad set.
The 0 keys are in the mod color, however sets usually have them in alpha color. I can have one, or the other, or both.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 15:50:58 »
Apparently 7-Bit is going to fund 1.5 unit hat keycaps for SA in round 6...
Does anyone want to wait long enough for these things to be available?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 15:59:59 »

i don't know what 7bit intends to do with those...do people really want 1.5-unit mods with a 1-unit typing surface? Who is the demand for these very specific keycaps? Are they just for his Hyper keyboard projects?

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 16:14:04 »

i don't know what 7bit intends to do with those...do people really want 1.5-unit mods with a 1-unit typing surface? Who is the demand for these very specific keycaps? Are they just for his Hyper keyboard projects?

No idea. I am on your side in that the R4 shifts would be so much better and much more functional rather than novel.
I guess he just wants them for the pure novelty as it fits with SA.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 17:58:20 »
i don't know what 7bit intends to do with [1.5 unit hat keycaps]...do people really want 1.5-unit mods with a 1-unit typing surface? Who is the demand for these very specific keycaps?
No idea. I guess he just wants them for the pure novelty [...]
The only purpose of hat-shaped keys is filling in space in keyboards larger than 1u while avoiding the need for stabilizers. As far as I can tell IBM pretty much invented them for the first Model F boards (like the XT), since at the beginning they hadn’t figured out / didn’t want to use wire stabilizers or double-barrels. (Did anyone use a stepped key left of the A before that?) It was a dumb idea in the 80s, and it’s still a dumb idea today IMO. But hey, I think all keys bigger than 1.5u (except possibly spacebars designed to fit a wide range of hand sizes; for those Matias’s new 2.5x1.5 keys are great) are stupidly large. So what do I know.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #73 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 18:00:44 »
i don't know what 7bit intends to do with [1.5 unit hat keycaps]...do people really want 1.5-unit mods with a 1-unit typing surface? Who is the demand for these very specific keycaps?
The only purpose of hat-shaped keys is filling in space in keyboards larger than 1u while avoiding the need for stabilizers. As far as I can tell IBM pretty much invented them for the first Model F boards (like the XT), since at the beginning they hadn’t figured out / didn’t want to use wire stabilizers or double-barrels. (Did anyone use a stepped key left of the A before that?) It was a dumb idea in the 80s, and it’s still a dumb idea today IMO. But hey, I think all keys bigger than 1.5u (except possibly spacebars designed to fit a wide range of hand sizes; for those Matias’s new 2.5x1.5 keys are great) are stupidly large. So what do I know.

Interesting. Although I don't get why 1.5 unit key would need to be hats as they don't use stabilizers anyway.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #74 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 18:24:29 »
The only purpose of hat-shaped keys is filling in space in keyboards larger than 1u while avoiding the need for stabilizers. As far as I can tell IBM pretty much invented them for the first Model F boards (like the XT), since at the beginning they hadn�t figured out / didn�t want to use wire stabilizers or double-barrels. (Did anyone use a stepped key left of the A before that?) It was a dumb idea in the 80s, and it�s still a dumb idea today IMO. But hey, I think all keys bigger than 1.5u (except possibly spacebars designed to fit a wide range of hand sizes; for those Matias�s new 2.5x1.5 keys are great) are stupidly large. So what do I know.

Interesting. Although I don't get why 1.5 unit key would need to be hats as they don't use stabilizers anyway.

I can't imagine there would be a huge demand for them. Maybe all the people who love the IBM XT Model F are clamoring for them. :))

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #75 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 18:31:02 »
The only purpose of hat-shaped keys is filling in space in keyboards larger than 1u while avoiding the need for stabilizers. As far as I can tell IBM pretty much invented them for the first Model F boards (like the XT), since at the beginning they hadn�t figured out / didn�t want to use wire stabilizers or double-barrels. (Did anyone use a stepped key left of the A before that?) It was a dumb idea in the 80s, and it�s still a dumb idea today IMO. But hey, I think all keys bigger than 1.5u (except possibly spacebars designed to fit a wide range of hand sizes; for those Matias�s new 2.5x1.5 keys are great) are stupidly large. So what do I know.

I can't imagine there would be a huge demand for them. Maybe all the people who love the IBM XT Model F are clamoring for them. :))

Thanks for the input.
I guess it would be best to shelf the idea of these keys and not make unnecessary delays.

That being said, I plan to only start the interest check after 1976, Hack'd by Geeks, and possibly Symbiosis end.
This would hopefully soften the blow on people's wallets and not give them headaches over having to decide what to get.

Offline Data

« Reply #76 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:45:25 »
Boring Joe Kit:
Shouldn't the 2nd row WIN keys be Ctrl + Alt (2x each)?  WIN keys are already "boring" in the standard mods kit.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:48:03 »
Boring Joe Kit:
Shouldn't the 2nd row WIN keys be Ctrl + Alt (2x each)?  WIN keys are already "boring" in the standard mods kit.

I might have been really tired and ****ed up all the legends...
I copied the WIN keys and then didn't bother to change the text...  :-[

Offline Data

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:48:52 »
Boring Joe Kit:

No worries dude.  Your mock-ups look great.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:57:09 »
Boring Joe Kit:

No worries dude.  Your mock-ups look great.

Everything has been fixed, sir.  :thumb:
Thanks for the heads-up as well as the compliments!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 19:58:07 »
That being said, I plan to only start the interest check after 1976, Hack'd by Geeks, and possibly Symbiosis end.
This would hopefully soften the blow on people's wallets and not give them headaches over having to decide what to get.

I just wanted to say that I fully support what you are doing here. While I wouldn't run a GB through PMK for personal reasons, you are doing everything right, and have a great attitude. Which is all we ask of GB organizers. I know I kind of "cheat the system" by running mine through [CTRL]ALT, and going without an interest check, but I have a good feeling for what people are looking for, so I know the interest is there. Kudos to you for thinking of a good timeline to work within, so that people can order these without too much wallet shock. :thumb:

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 20:08:42 »

I just wanted to say that I fully support what you are doing here. While I wouldn't run a GB through PMK for personal reasons, you are doing everything right, and have a great attitude. Which is all we ask of GB organizers. I know I kind of "cheat the system" by running mine through [CTRL]ALT, and going without an interest check, but I have a good feeling for what people are looking for, so I know the interest is there. Kudos to you for thinking of a good timeline to work within, so that people can order these without too much wallet shock. :thumb:

I absolutely love your kind words.
The dedication that I have put into this is purely as a labor of love.
Every time someone comments saying that they love my design choices, it fills my heart with joy that I can do something people appreciate.
If it seems like I am obsessed with this project and account for half of the posts in this thread, it's because I have a burning obsession with this project that will hopefully never die out. Or at least will only die out once everything is shipped.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 04:09:46 »
Every time someone comments saying that they love my design choices, it fills my heart with joy that I can do something people appreciate.
If it seems like I am obsessed with this project and account for half of the posts in this thread, it's because I have a burning obsession with this project that will hopefully never die out. Or at least will only die out once everything is shipped.

The effort you put into something will always show in the end.

We here underestimate that vital emotion termed as "LOVE" because it has been overused for nearly everything in all our lives.  When you apply that 'term' with key-caps, it has a glowing acceptance here on this site more so than anywhere else on the web.  Have courage because you will certainly need it when time approaches to having it made at SP but remain confident that a lot of us here will be there with you because we saw fit to front up with the moolah for your key-set.

Just hope Melissa gets back in the office because it will go through so easily with her in charge.  Pity SP doesn't see fit to pay for a baby sitter whilst she handles our key-sets (my selfishness is beyond all here on this forum  8) ).

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 08:05:08 »

We here underestimate that vital emotion termed as "LOVE" because it has been overused for nearly everything in all our lives.  When you apply that 'term' with key-caps, it has a glowing acceptance here on this site more so than anywhere else on the web.  Have courage because you will certainly need it when time approaches to having it made at SP but remain confident that a lot of us here will be there with you because we saw fit to front up with the moolah for your key-set.

Just hope Melissa gets back in the office because it will go through so easily with her in charge.  Pity SP doesn't see fit to pay for a baby sitter whilst she handles our key-sets (my selfishness is beyond all here on this forum  8) ).

Speaking of which, I think Melissa is back..?
I sent some questions their way and a response came back signed with her name and from her email.

Offline Data

« Reply #84 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 08:29:53 »

Speaking of which, I think Melissa is back..?
I sent some questions their way and a response came back signed with her name and from her email.

Someone mentioned she has been working from home a bit.  Also, all of Bob's emails still come through Melissa's address and (I think) with her signature on them.  It's hard to tell who's responding unless Bob remembers to sign his name.

Offline raketno

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 17:32:22 »
A tiny gripe, but I'd like super/meta keys since I don't use Windows.

Great set!

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:08:24 »

Great set!

Frosty, what about just investing in a single ICON to symbolize the Windows, Various OS's and such?

That way, we all know that in that area we aren't morons wanting to see Windows Logo sitting there reminding us constantly that we are using a Windows setup.  Time to finally grow up and mature because we need a UNIVERSAL Logo that sits in that position and lets any user know that it's OS related only.

Sick of paying for extra Windows, Linux and Mac Logo Keys constantly in nearly every Group Buy held here on GH.  Time to finally release an all encompassing ICON that can be applied for every known OS that was ever made or will be made, plus for the poverty stricken give them a cheaper option.  Remember Henry Ford's famous quote back when you can have any colour you want for your brand new car, as long as it was BLACK (something to think about here).

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:17:06 »

Great set!

Frosty, what about just investing in a single ICON to symbolize the Windows, Various OS's and such?

That way, we all know that in that area we aren't morons wanting to see Windows Logo sitting there reminding us constantly that we are using a Windows setup.  Time to finally grow up and mature because we need a UNIVERSAL Logo that sits in that position and lets any user know that it's OS related only.

Sick of paying for extra Windows, Linux and Mac Logo Keys constantly in nearly every Group Buy held here on GH.  Time to finally release an all encompassing ICON that can be applied for every known OS that was ever made or will be made, plus for the poverty stricken give them a cheaper option.  Remember Henry Ford's famous quote back when you can have any colour you want for your brand new car, as long as it was BLACK (something to think about here).

A good idea whose time has come. I'd get behind this, if someone more talented than I could come up with a suitable.logo.

in memoriam

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:18:30 »
I really like the idea of having a universal logo. However, I have no idea what kind of image could represent this set as it didn't really come from anything special.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:21:24 »
I really like the idea of having a universal logo. However, I have no idea what kind of image could represent this set as it didn't really come from anything special.

Doesn't have to be specific to RetroBlight. It could be used by any and every GB going forward. Something really universal.

in memoriam

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:23:21 »

Doesn't have to be specific to RetroBlight. It could be used by any and every GB going forward. Something really universal.
A star?

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:23:48 »

I see what you mean. I like that idea too. I'll make a dedicated thread so that it can get attention and everyone can join in on the conversation.

Offline Hellcatz

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 12 January 2015, 20:58:48 »
IM IN

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 06:41:39 »

+1 to this. Nice to see some coordination and sensibility happening.

And I think Elrick's idea is excellent, OS-agnostic keycap legends are needed :) I think "META" works well for written legends. The logo should be a fairly neutral symbol without much prior association. Something like what Apple did when switching from the open and closed apple keys to the "command" symbol - actually it's used here in Finland to denote a place of interest on maps and roadsigns.

Here's an interesting one, which I feel matches the purpose well: http://www.symbols.com/symbol/603

87087-0

Fawohodie: Symbol of independence, freedom, emancipation.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 January 2015, 06:44:28 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 06:48:12 »
This one fits when using Windows: http://www.symbols.com/symbol/601
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 07:24:15 »
I have actually decided to start a thread to get ideas for an OS symbol that would hopefully appear throughout many sets.
I'll use that symbol for OS keys and hopefully hat will push the idea enough for others to catch on.

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 08:47:23 »
What about an owl. everyone likes owls.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #97 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:00:55 »
What about an owl. everyone likes owls.
Show Image

I don't.

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:07:32 »
Well...fine then :P

I'm sure I will be fine with whatever is chosen. Based off of what I am seeing, I fully intend to throw my money at whatever the final product is regardless...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #99 on: Tue, 13 January 2015, 09:09:12 »
Well...fine then :p

I'm sure I will be fine with whatever is chosen. Based off of what I am seeing, I fully intend to throw my money at whatever the final product is regardless...

That's the spirit bro.