Author Topic: What is the best OS?  (Read 73091 times)

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #150 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 07:40:29 »
that's the main problem, and also the fact that mainstream distros like ubuntu don't bother much to handle bugs on cli packages. i've made some bug reports that have finished into a black hole

Offline ironcoder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #151 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 14:45:47 »
Debian also made me wanna throw my boxes out the window. That wouldn't work though, because my office is on the 1st floor. No matter which Linux I try, Slackware always kicks its butt. So easy to set up and get it *exactly* like I want. No flab.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
What is the best OS?
« Reply #152 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 16:49:28 »
I like Windows better than Linux. Linux doesn't run Microsoft Bob!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #153 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 16:53:28 »
but linux runs vigor

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #154 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 17:21:43 »
And Windows runs Office '97.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
What is the best OS?
« Reply #155 on: Thu, 31 December 2009, 17:42:04 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;146881
I like Windows better than Linux. Linux doesn't run Microsoft Bob!

It does with VMware. And stop calling me Bob. :bolt:
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #156 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 06:19:46 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;146888
And Windows runs Office '97.

Even OpenOffice would be a better choice than those really old MS Office versions.

It does with VMware.

Or even WINE. But contrary to what some people think, Linux's inability to run crappy 20 year old software is probably a good thing, as it makes you realize that 95% of the software you use can be replaced with much better open source equivalents.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2010, 06:28:36 by ch_123 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #157 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 08:38:44 »
Office '97 is much faster than Open Office and does everything I need any Office software to do.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
What is the best OS?
« Reply #158 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 14:42:22 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;147023
Office '97 is much faster than Open Office and does everything I need any Office software to do.

That's the key factor: does it do what you want it to do? I'm going retro with fervor, reviewing my decade-old hardware, and finding it surprisingly usable. Seems Bloatware keeps the user experience constant despite increasing hardware capability.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #159 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 14:54:36 »
Quote from: ricercar;147115
That's the key factor: does it do what you want it to do?

The big problem here is that people don't know what they want their computer to do. They get cosy with some piece of software and ignore newer programs that would make their lives much easier on the basis of "Well sure, I'm grand with what I have"

Moral of the story: People are idiots.

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
What is the best OS?
« Reply #160 on: Fri, 01 January 2010, 23:32:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;147122
The big problem here is that people don't know what they want their computer to do. They get cosy with some piece of software and ignore newer programs that would make their lives much easier on the basis of "Well sure, I'm grand with what I have"

Moral of the story: People are idiots.

In general I agree with you...except something called Windows ME.
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 00:49:51 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;147023

OpenOffice is written in Java. Some sort of mistake or something...

Besides, you shouldn't make claims like 'this is faster than that' if you don't have actual numbers to back it up. Especially since older version of OpenOffice are known to have performance issues because of Java. For example, OpenOffice runs very fast for me. This is how fast it starts up on my laptop (Ubuntu 9.10 (2.6.31), Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2GB DDR2 ram, SATA II 7200rpm with 16mb cache, OpenOffice.org 3.1).

Code: [Select]
$ time ooffice

real 0m0.444s
user 0m0.044s
sys 0m0.032s

The `time` function measures how much time it takes for a program to execute. 'real' is the amount of time it took ooffice to start if I was measuring it with a stop watch from start to finish. 'user' is the amount of cpu time (in seconds, not ticks) that ooffice used to execute user code (things that execute in user land). 'sys' is the same as 'user' except for system calls (things that execute in kernel land). Notice that above I listed my harddrive specs. I did this because by examining the output of `time` one can conclude that ooffice spends most of it's time waiting for disk IO.

If Office '97 does everything that you need it to do, then that's great. I believe you too, but don't make vague claims about it being faster. Any reasonable and logical person would immediately dismiss the validity of such claims.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2010, 02:45:07 by jsharp768 »

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 08:29:50 »
Office '97 runs faster simply because there's less stuff to load. I used Open Office on my machines before and it took over a minute to load sometimes. Office '97 loads in just a few seconds.

Remember, though, my machines aren't the same as yours. The computer I'm using right now is about 10 years old (1.4Ghz PIII, 512MB PC133 RAM, 10GB hard disk).

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 09:12:10 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;147276
Office '97 runs faster simply because there's less stuff to load. I used Open Office on my machines before and it took over a minute to load sometimes. Office '97 loads in just a few seconds.

Remember, though, my machines aren't the same as yours. The computer I'm using right now is about 10 years old (1.4Ghz PIII, 512MB PC133 RAM, 10GB hard disk).

That makes an enormous difference then. If you were trying to run a recent version of OpenOffice (or even an old version), of course it would take longer to load than software that is over ten years old. OpenOffice wasn't even around in 1997 and it has many more features than Office '97. The comparison would be fair if the two software had comparable features, but there is simply no way that they do. The comparison would be fair if you compared the performance of OpenOffice 3.1 to Office 2007 running on your hardware.

Your claim that Office '97 is faster still does not mean anything. It's as ridiculous as if I made the claim that OpenOffice loads faster than Windows 7. It's true, but the comparison has no meaning and makes me look silly.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 09:21:06 »
It's all irrelevant anyway - True men use LaTeX.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
What is the best OS?
« Reply #165 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 10:11:18 »
Quote from: ch_123;147283

It's been a while since we had that discussion, hasn't it?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline HaaTa

• Master Kiibohd Hunter
  • Kiibohds!
    • http://kiibohd.com
What is the best OS?
« Reply #166 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 12:52:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;147283

Agreed
Kiibohd

ALWAYS looking for cool and interesting switches
I take requests for making keyboard converters (i.e. *old keyboard* to USB).

Offline Xuan

What is the best OS?
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 17:10:25 »
Do you know some lightweight app to do basic spreadsheets?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 17:28:15 »
There's Gnumeric, but I don't know how good it is.

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:09:19 »
i find office softwares to be extremly complex and hell about ergonomy.
hopefully, editors like vim or emacs suffice my needs

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:15:52 »
Quote from: pikapika;147391
i find office softwares to be extremly complex and hell about ergonomy.
hopefully, editors like vim or emacs suffice my needs

+1 for VIM

But your statement makes no sense. By "office softwares" it sounds like you mean something like Microsoft Word. But OpenOffice and Microsoft Word are word processors; VIM and Emacs are text editors.

Besides, if you're looking for something that isn't complex then you want to look somewhere else besides VIM and Emacs. They both have very steep learning curves:

Offline timw4mail

What is the best OS?
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:19:57 »
I've always wondered why Vi and Emacs are so recommended... it seems like they are both rather counter-productive to me.

Then again, I've never understood the point of having text-mode editors when you have GUIs available.
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:24:09 »
Quote from: timw4mail;147394
I've always wondered why Vi and Emacs are so recommended... it seems like they are both rather counter-productive to me.

Then again, I've never understood the point of having text-mode editors when you have GUIs available.

Woah! Hold on there buddy. You're stepping on holy ground!
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:29:15 by jsharp768 »

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #173 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:27:08 »
My communication skills don't offer me the ability to rightfully explain to you the advantages of VIM. I wouldn't be able to do it justice. I can say to you this: if you can master VIM, you're productivity can increase greatly.

I would suggest googling or searching stackoverflow.com. Here is a nice article, but it literally only scratches the surface: http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html

Offline timw4mail

What is the best OS?
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:34:57 »
Quote from: jsharp768;147396
My communication skills don't offer me the ability to rightfully explain to you the advantages of VIM. I wouldn't be able to do it justice. I can say to you this: if you can master VIM, you're productivity can increase greatly.

I would suggest googling or searching stackoverflow.com. Here is a nice article, but it literally only scratches the surface: http://www.viemu.com/a-why-vi-vim.html

It seems kind of silly to have a text-mode editor in the OS characterized by the lack of command-line.

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 18:42:00 »
Quote from: timw4mail;147400
It seems kind of silly to have a text-mode editor in the OS characterized by the lack of command-line.

Which OS doesn't have a command line? Surely you don't mean Windows?

You don't need to be using a UNIX-like system to enjoy the great benevolence of VIM. The first, wondrous feature of VIM that is mastered can be used in any OS. That feature being the great use of macros to edit text in ways you haven't even imagined. VIM is a much more natural way to edit plain text files than any other text editor or IDE that I know of. There is no other text editor or IDE that I have ever encountered that gives the user the ability to edit text as quickly, accurately, or efficiently as VIM unless it was running VIM internally (there are Visual Studio and Eclipse plugins to do that).

By the way, VIM is one of THE most portable pieces of software out there.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 19:21:29 »
Quote from: Xuan;147378
Do you know some lightweight app to do basic spreadsheets?

Microsoft Excel for Windows 2.0. You can find it on vetusware or if you're lucky, you'll have it on floppies!

Offline timw4mail

What is the best OS?
« Reply #177 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 19:21:31 »
Quote from: jsharp768;147403
Which OS doesn't have a command line? Surely you don't mean Windows?

You don't need to be using a UNIX-like system to enjoy the great benevolence of VIM. The first, wondrous feature of VIM that is mastered can be used in any OS. That feature being the great use of macros to edit text in ways you haven't even imagined. VIM is a much more natural way to edit plain text files than any other text editor or IDE that I know of. There is no other text editor or IDE that I have ever encountered that gives the user the ability to edit text as quickly, accurately, or efficiently as VIM unless it was running VIM internally (there are Visual Studio and Eclipse plugins to do that).

By the way, VIM is one of THE most portable pieces of software out there.

Well, I was referring to OS X, not that it doesn't have a command line, but it's definitely not known for it's command line.

Personally, I don't see the learning of a whole different philosophy of editing worth the time. Considering how little time is actually spent editing in programming I don't personally see what the point is.

If I have to use a text-mode editor, I'd rather just use Nano. Slower yes, but I don't use it enough for it to matter.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 19:33:10 »
Quote from: jsharp768;147393
+1 for VIM

But your statement makes no sense. By "office softwares" it sounds like you mean something like Microsoft Word. But OpenOffice and Microsoft Word are word processors; VIM and Emacs are text editors.

Besides, if you're looking for something that isn't complex then you want to look somewhere else besides VIM and Emacs. They both have very steep learning curves:

A guy I know told me that he was once working for a company that outsourced part of a software package they were developing to Indian subcontractors. When they got the completed code, they tried to compile it, but it just spat out a load of errors at them. They went through the code and found loads of superfluous characters thrown around the place. Then they realized, much to their horror, that the subcontractors had written the code in Microsoft Word...

Whenever I feel stressed out by college work, it always relieves me to remember that there are a lot of people out there in the software industry who know absolutely jack ****, and yet still get paid for their effort.

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 20:02:05 »
Quote from: timw4mail;147408
Well, I was referring to OS X, not that it doesn't have a command line, but it's definitely not known for it's command line.

OS X has pieces of FreeBSD in the kernel. It actually satisfies the SUS standard which is what an OS needs to implement in order to be called UNIX (though, to actually put the UNIX name on the product Apple needs to pay a license that I doubt they'll ever do). So technically, OS X is in the UNIX family of operating systems. I know a lot of programmers and sys admins who work in OS X and use the terminal daily. The terminal isn't common amongst regular OS X users, but that's just like how Command Prompt (or Power Shell) isn't common amongst Windows users. Also, whether or not it's known for the command line, VIM integrates into the OS X terminal a lot better than it does in Command Prompt or Cygwin. But this isn't very important; I just wanted to point that out.

Personally, I don't see the learning of a whole different philosophy of editing worth the time. Considering how little time is actually spent editing in programming I don't personally see what the point is.

If I have to use a text-mode editor, I'd rather just use Nano. Slower yes, but I don't use it enough for it to matter.

Are you a programmer? If you're a programmer then you spend a lot of time at least viewing source code. So you need a quick and efficient way to browse, search, and link individual and multiple source files; but that's just viewing the source. While editing is only part of what a programmer does, the programmer does spend a good amount of time editing source files; though, the amount depends on what kind of programming you are doing. It's very unlikely that a programmer couldn't benefit from learning VIM -- even if they need to use a lot of third party software. The only real way a programmer couldn't benefit from using VIM is if they really don't spend much time even looking at source.

The only people who would see the benefit in learning VIM are those that actually spend a good amount of time in text files. But even sys admins can benefit in learning VIM even if it's just for config files and shell scripts. VIM completely removes ALL repetitive tasks in editing text files, especially when it comes to just moving the cursor or viewing a specific section of the file.

So for you personally there might not be much benefit in learning VIM -- I don't know your situation. But for someone who edits text files for a living, it makes a world of difference. Even though, as a programmer, I need to do many tasks outside of programming, I still spend a lot of time inside text files. Once I had masted even the basic usage of VIM, it absolutely baffled me how slow everyone else edits text in any other editor.

But VIM isn't for everyone. It takes time to learn it's many features and to be comfortable with them enough for them to become intuitive. I initially learned VIM because I thought it was fun, but I would still use other text editors and IDE's. It wasn't until I spent more time playing around with it that I realized just how powerful it was, how much easier it made my life, and how much frustration it removed because in any other text editor, the cursor keys and the mouse just slows you down.

Today when I program, I don't think about editing the text or how to get the cursor to where I want it to be. VIM give me the power to view and edit text so quickly that I can spend my time thinking about what I want to do instead of how to make my editor do it. Step one is learning how to use VIM. Step two is learning the VIM philosophy. Once a programmer accomplished those two steps, he'll experience an incredible increase in productivity.
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 January 2010, 20:04:06 by jsharp768 »

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 20:10:13 »
Quote from: ch_123;147414
A guy I know told me that he was once working for a company that outsourced part of a software package they were developing to Indian subcontractors. When they got the completed code, they tried to compile it, but it just spat out a load of errors at them. They went through the code and found loads of superfluous characters thrown around the place. Then they realized, much to their horror, that the subcontractors had written the code in Microsoft Word...

Whenever I feel stressed out by college work, it always relieves me to remember that there are a lot of people out there in the software industry who know absolutely jack ****, and yet still get paid for their effort.

That story doesn't surprise me at all. I am amazed at how stupid people can be.

If you are a skilled programmer, know how to communicate your ideas, and have common sense, you'll always have a job. If you are motivated to learn and improve, willing to accept your mistakes and fix them, and can take the initiative, then you'll always be able to demand the best positions.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 20:20:48 »
Quote from: timw4mail;147400

All well and good until your laptop's charger dies and the replacement gets lost in the post for three weeks. In the meantime, the only way you can get work done is by ssh'ing into a server from a Windows machine. Then the wonders of command line text editing start to become apparent as you are forced to use it.

Also, the odds are that when you are using Gedit, or whatever GUI text editor, you're either using so many key shortcuts that you might as well being using Vim or Emacs, or you're using the mouse alot and therefore doing it wrong.

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 02 January 2010, 20:51:23 »
Quote from: ch_123;147427
All well and good until your laptop's charger dies and the replacement gets lost in the post for three weeks. In the meantime, the only way you can get work done is by ssh'ing into a server from a Windows machine. Then the wonders of command line text editing start to become apparent as you are forced to use it.

I don't think timw4mail was ever questioning the merits of the command line.

Also, the odds are that when you are using Gedit, or whatever GUI text editor, you're either using so many key shortcuts that you might as well being using Vim or Emacs, or you're using the mouse alot and therefore doing it wrong.

I don't agree with this comparison. You're implying that Gedit (or whatever) has features comparable to VIM, and they simply don't. Gedit (or anything else for the mater) does have features to improve the actual text editing, but not to the level that VIM has (not even imaginably close). For some people that's a good thing because the vast majority of editors and IDEs you can just pick up and start using -- can't do that with VIM. But VIM and GVIM both have their own limitation since they are inherently text based.

Also, Emacs is closer to an operating system than a text editor (I'm not joking). A lot of Emacs power users use Emacs mostly to do other things besides text editing anyway. But that's a different subject.

Offline ironcoder

What is the best OS?
« Reply #183 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 12:11:48 »

Complicated? Without question. Counter-productive? Absolutely not.

Because they were both developed in an era where there was no GUI and they were maintained and taken forward until now. They are still great options for general purpose editing and also offer specialized tools for development. And in the situation that you have to SSH into a server somewhere that doesn't have a GUI installed Vi is always available. It's like saying now that we have computer controlled cars what's the point of owning a wrench?

I haven't found any GUI editor that's a pleasant and powerful to use in NIX as Emacs. I've been using it for many years and prefer it to anything else. Emacs especially has so many nice facilities, I don't believe there is any GUI editor that can approach it functionally.
In the office: Filco 87 Cherry Browns x 2 (one with coffee damage, recovered) ● Lexmark IBM Model M 52G9658 1993 & 1996

Offline exia

What is the best OS?
« Reply #184 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 13:32:55 »
Another vote for Ubuntu.

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #185 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 14:26:51 »
as i'm a fan of text mode interfaces, i prefer to use text utils whenever i can.
though emacs has a gui, and is quite easy to use as is. but it takes time to truly get use to the full use of the software. vim is not so difficult when you get some few shortcuts.
i have to say i'm totally lost with word processors, and worst on spreadsheets

Offline jsharp768

What is the best OS?
« Reply #186 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 15:18:29 »
Something that most people don't realize is that GUIs and mouses are not a natural way to communicate with the computer. They are natural to humans, but not computers. If you force the computer to work like a human, it'll never be as efficient as if the human worked like the computer. So when you work, you need to make trade offs between what is most efficient (the computer way) and what is easiest (the human way).

I believe that it is more natural for a computer to write programs than humans. Just like it is more natural for a computer to play chess than a human (due to its mathematical nature) and it is more natural for a human to play Go than a computer (because of its intuitive nature). That's why it will always be easy to make a computer that can beat the best humans in chess, yet even the very best computers have a hard time beating high level amateurs and low Dan Go professionals.

Of course there is a lot more here that can be discussed and it's not just that cut and dry (humans are a lot better at making GUIs, computers aren't powerful enough to write not-trivial programs themselves, etc.), but I'm trying to keep this short.

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 16:37:26 »
well gui's are not so much intuitive, specially when i see how my mother is lost with them :-)
i think that interactive text mode, and vocal commands can be more easy for computer newcomers

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #188 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 16:58:37 »
she's 70 and doesn't like much technical things

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
What is the best OS?
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 17:02:55 »
My father had a subscription to a monthly magazine called Computer Beginner. I was confounded. How can anyone remain a n00b for more than a month?

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #190 on: Sun, 03 January 2010, 17:15:33 »
Quote from: webwit;147626
Computer newcomer? Was your mother in prison for the last 30 years?

Some GUIs have lost the whole point of being simple and intuitive, and just make things an awful lot more difficult for people to use properly and efficiently.

But hey, as long as there is no initial learning cave, people will think that it's 'easy'
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 January 2010, 17:18:33 by ch_123 »

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
What is the best OS?
« Reply #191 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 19:41:14 »
There is no best in my book.  Out of the three most commonly used platforms, each has it's own strengths and weaknesses.  Windows has a huge amount of support, both in hardware and software.  But Windows is also the most commonly attacked OS.  Mac OS is extremely stable and the user never really has to worry about drivers.  But Mac OS also gets software that is on the PC about a year after the PC release.  Linux does not get viruses and thus is very suitable for looking at porn, but Linux is also community supported and needs additional software just to run programs that a Windows machine can run without any additional software.
Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #192 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 19:44:02 »
Quote from: datamonger128;148679
Linux is also community supported and needs additional software just to run programs that a Windows machine can run without any additional software.

Examples?

Offline D-EJ915

What is the best OS?
« Reply #193 on: Wed, 06 January 2010, 21:35:44 »
imagine that, an OS needs additional software to translate software compiled for another operating system to run on it lol

Offline datamonger128

• Forever alone.
What is the best OS?
« Reply #194 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 03:19:30 »
Quote from: ch_123;148683
Examples?

Perhaps I worded that wrong.  Linux needs emulation software to run certain Windows programs.  Mac software, I'm not sure about that getting used in Linux.  I just can't see myself using a software emulator to run a game or other program on hardware that it was designed for.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for open source software.  But when it comes down to an OS, I prefer a closed source OS.  I don't always pay for the OS though.  I got my copy of Leopard courtesy of mac-torrents.com.
Coffee is supposed to be bitter.  It symbolizes the bitterness of life.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
What is the best OS?
« Reply #195 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 06:50:26 »
Quote from: D-EJ915;148714
imagine that, an OS needs additional software to translate software compiled for another operating system to run on it lol

My thoughts exactly. What a cruel world you live in.

Quote from: datamonger128;148765
But when it comes down to an OS, I prefer a closed source OS.

I think what you really mean to say is that you prefer an OS that runs the software you need to run?

Offline didjamatic

What is the best OS?
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 07:37:49 »
Quote from: jsharp768;147592
Something that most people don't realize is that GUIs and mouses are not a natural way to communicate with the computer. They are natural to humans, but not computers. If you force the computer to work like a human, it'll never be as efficient as if the human worked like the computer. So when you work, you need to make trade offs between what is most efficient (the computer way) and what is easiest (the human way).

Computers have more than enough resources to provide a GUI and human interfaces, so it's not really a consideration.  Humans using non-gui interfaces for most of our activities is so inefficient that few bother with it.  Remember computers exist for us, we don't exist for each other.

Quote from: jsharp768;147592
I believe that it is more natural for a computer to write programs than humans. Just like it is more natural for a computer to play chess than a human (due to its mathematical nature) and it is more natural for a human to play Go than a computer (because of its intuitive nature). That's why it will always be easy to make a computer that can beat the best humans in chess...

But the reason we play chess to begin with is for human enjoyment, not for machine efficiency.  If humans didn't play it, a computer would have no reason to play.  It's not natural for a computer to play games, that would be illogical.  Joshua partially figured this out in War Games. :)

In most cases an OS's goal is to be efficient for a human, so the human interface is at the core of what makes a computer system good.  If it is merely serving data or doing transactions then you don't need a GUI (Database server, Web server, etc.) but for most things requiring humans, including posting on this forum, a GUI presented to the user is essential.

Quote from: pikapika;147625
well gui's are not so much intuitive, specially when i see how my mother is lost with them :-)
i think that interactive text mode, and vocal commands can be more easy for computer newcomers

From an interactive text mode you would be unable to view this video response to what you just said  :)
IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline pikapika

What is the best OS?
« Reply #197 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 07:58:19 »
didjamatic : i wouldn't have need much to see that video, and many things that took me plenty of time using a gui (renaming multiple files, and many operations on files) takes me a few seconds using a shell and command line.
of course it took me a bit of time to learn, though it's faster, more fun and far more usable.
i'm not specially against gui's but the one we have are badly done, extremely unintuitive, requires a lot of time to master and therefore extremely unefficient.
though people are so used to it, they don't consider anything else.
if everybody drove their car with their feet, it wouldn't mean it would be a good idea

Offline didjamatic

What is the best OS?
« Reply #198 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 08:20:11 »
Im in a gui right now, but using AHK I can win+c and I'm at a command prompt or win+p and I'm in putty.  So you can have the best of both worlds without having to choose one over the other.  ;)

When you consider what most people use their computers and the internet for, I don't think text based interaction is of much interest to them.

IBM F :: IBM M :: Northgate :: Cherry G80 :: Realforce :: DAS 4

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
What is the best OS?
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 07 January 2010, 13:21:26 »
In the computer graphics industry, we have two markets that push the envelope.

Porn and games.