Author Topic: Logitech MX Anwhere 2, the $79 travel mouse...  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Logitech MX Anwhere 2, the $79 travel mouse...
« on: Sun, 09 October 2016, 23:48:22 »
So I got this a couple weeks ago and figured people might be interested.
It’s a pretty basic mouse, but at almost $80 you have to wonder is it really worth it? That’s a lot of money for a small mouse, for any mouse really.

150199-0
Picture is from Logitech, my pictures stink, so if you want to see more, go to Logitech’s web site.

Design
The layout is pretty standard, it’s rather small (of course), but fits well, I tend to claw it and it works well for that, but I doubt other styles would have a problem. The front side button isn’t perfectly positioned (they rarely are), but it’s a better layout than the MX Master which absolutely doesn’t work for me as the buttons are too far back (this was done to make room for the side mounted scroll wheel which I dislike).

The most obvious thing that sets it apart from most notebook mice is having side buttons. Why is it that so few notebook mice, especially good ones, and even more-so with bluetooth never have side buttons! This was actually why I bought this mouse, I wanted buetooth and a side button and that is a rare combination. I was actually looking for what is now the older model, not knowing they had redesigned it. You can still find it, but it's not much cheaper, trust me, you want the newer one.

Lefties can use it,
the shape is neutral, however you lose the ability to use the two side buttons. The ability to use it on multi system switching  without a dongle may still make it worthwhile (bluetooth can be 5 times as efficient as most dongles, I tested it!)

Supposedly it comes in multi-colors, I have only ever seen one. The other colors look good, though I would avoid white, it can look dingy fast. Mice are grime factories, why help it.

The Wheel
When I tested it in the store, I swear I thought it had the old hyperscroll like the Revolution (and MX Master), I was sooo happy I almost danced out of the store. That didn’t last long. The wheel doesn’t act a middle button, pressing it switches the wheel modes. Don’t be fooled by people claiming it’s speed sensitive, it’s not. You press it for click to click, press it again to switch to freespin. When I tried it in the store I accidentally tripped this.  The actual middle button is the button behind the scroll wheel. As strange as it sounds, it's no worse a compromise than putting a button behind the wheel to switch modes and it does make for a nicer feel when pressing that middle button, not to mention you're less likely to accidentally scroll.

The button behind it can be reprogrammed in Windows and Mac (as can side buttons), however each does different things. On Mac it brings up the task switcher (Mission Control), and on windows (and Linux) it acts as a middle button.  It forced me to rethink my button layout a bit, I reprogrammed side scrolling to handle middle click (left) and refresh (right) when using Mac and it works so well I may switch my desktop to a similar layout.

Change isn't always a bad thing, but hyperscroll would have been nicer.

Tracking
It works on glass, cell phone screens, etc,  about the only thing I have seen it not track well is cloth, like a pant leg or a bed sheet (cloth mouse pads are fine). I suspect the way Darkfield focuses it doesn’t deal well with height changes so going over wrinkles in cloth causes it to cut out at times for a second as it traverses it.

I'm not going to go into precision, it's not a gaming mouse.

Multi System Switching
The MX Master has the same system and i have to say I LOVE IT. As an I.T. worker who travels, it’s so nice to be able to use one mouse for my laptop, plug in a receiver, press a button, and work on another system using my own mouse (many customers have GARBAGE mice). Since I dual boot my laptop it works on both systems without the receiver even. It’s fantastic! I can stop carrying one of my spare mice in my work bag now.

This alone would make me consider buying another. EVERY bluetooth accessory should have this. Seriously.

Battery Life
Logitech claims up to two months at 40 hours a week, I can’t verify those claims, however they do claim a one minute charge gives you over an hour of of charge. This I can somewhat verify, it charges very fast. The battery is impressive, yet relatively light.

Weight
It's actually right in between a single and a double AA battery equipped travel mouse. Not bad and if like me you have to carry multiple mice, the multi system thing may actually save you even more weight. I now use this instead of an MX Performance, and was able to drop a single battery travel mouse from my work bag by switching to this, saving space and weight.

M325 ---------------------3.28 oz (93 g)  (single AA battery)
MX Anywhere 2 -------3.7 oz (107 g)  (built in battery)
MX Anywhere 1 ---- 4.41 oz (125 g) (dual AA battery)
MX Master ------------- 5oz (145 grams) (built in battery)

Wireless
The wireless is stable, regardless of bluetooth or on the receiver. If you want to use bluetooth however, I have a warning, some systems DO NOT support Smart Ready (low power) Bluetooth. Windows 7, some Linux distros and older Macs (prior to 10.10) will require a special receiver and/or drivers to be able to use the bluetooth on this.

This initially caused some problems on a Linux laptop I had, but later worked fine. I think the laptop was having a problem though, not the mouse as it worked just fine after a later OS reinstall.

Criticisms
Instructions, they were non existent. I got some documents about ergonomics and R.S.I. warnings, but there was no setup guide or anything to help set it up. I don't think I missed it, I don't think my box had been opened, but there was nothing. Here is the guide for connecting it, and yes, you can use any channel for the Unifying receiver or use all three for bluetooth, which is great, I just wish I had gotten documentation.

The second complaint may seem minor, but to me it’s a major inconvenience. There’s nowhere to store the receiver. Its TINY, smaller than the older models, and easily lost.  I don’t understand this, Logitech includes a pocket for it on other notebook mice, including the original MX Anywhere and even the G700, but they can’t be bothered on this, a travel mouse designed to be used on multiple computers? It’s a stupid detail that should not have been overlooked. This is probably the most infuriating thing about this mouse.

Lastly, and I will complain about this on every mouse, I want my hyperscroll back. This was one of the great features of the MX Revolution and while I think the Master has it, it needs to be on all high end Logitech mice as far as I'm concerned. It was magnificent.

So is it worth the $79?
Actually I got mine for $69 (yes, I paid for it myself). It's almost the perfect (see above) travel/notebook mouse, I like it more every time I use it and that is a rare quality. It's quickly become one of my all time favorite mice, and I've had A LOT of mice.

Would I buy it again?
"If I had the money and blah blah blah..." Nope, that isn't the truth at all. I hate that it costs so much, but if I lose it, I WILL be buying another, unless of course something better is out by then.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline benderkey

Re: Logitech MX Anwhere 2, the $79 travel mouse...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 11:11:12 »
Try the Microsoft Arc.

Smaller and Bluetooth ftw.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 October 2016, 17:03:29 »
Try the Microsoft Arc.

Smaller and Bluetooth ftw.
The Anywhere 2 can use Bluetooth or the nano receiver, the latter of which works in pretty much any system.  The Arc Touch has the same Bluetooth problems I mentioned as it uses the same Smart Ready protocol.

I really like the Arc Touch, it's a fantastic travel mouse, it's probably my second favorite travel mouse, and I had it in my hands at one point while in the store. It feels good, compacts well, and while priced better, it's still more than I normally like to pay for travel mice, which I normally see as disposable. It's biggest downfall though is no side buttons, if it had those, I probably would have gone with it.

Side buttons and Bluetooth were the reason I decided to finally treat myself to a nice travel mouse and giving up half my desires while spending that much was bothering me, so since it was a treat, I figured I may as well spend a bit more and get everything I wanted. In for a penny, in for a pound... Another concern though is that I worry I would break it, I don't know if it hurts it or not, but I love bending that spine while it's off, it has such a satisfying feel to it.  :))

Other benefits of the Anywhere, it works better on uneven surfaces due to the contact patch and then there is that multi system thing, as soon as I heard about that system I thought it was a good idea but I had no idea just how handy it was going to be for me.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline richard912

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 11 October 2016, 23:19:00 »
I have been using this soon after it was available and have only good things to say about it. Used with my work notebook, love it for its fantastic battery life. Alright, only quirk I have with it is the BT connectivity to my Dell notebook as it tends to frequently disconnect. To overcome this, I've had to sacrifice one of the USB port to accommodate the nano transceiver.

I have also owned and used the Performance MX (retired) which was replaced with an MX Master.

Offline YoshiCaps

• yes, oh god no.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 22 October 2016, 21:30:41 »
It's like an mx master..... but portable and not $100!
hi.