Author Topic: Soldering Service Review  (Read 3834 times)

Offline TeeBaginDragon

Soldering Service Review
« on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 15:47:50 »
So I was between posting this here and in the keyboards section so hopefully I posted in the right area...anyways this is a review for some keyboard assembly services I had done by merlin64.

To preface this review, this was the first custom keyboard I have bought and the first keyboard that I have ever had assembled for me so I had to ask a lot of questions to make sure I was buying the right stuff.  The review will be broken down into the following sections:
  • Components bought
  • Pre-service interactions
  • During service interactions
  • Post-service interactions
  • Final thoughts
Components:
  • 60% carbon fiber/fiber glass board + clear stabilizers + clear acrylic center from lunarisdream GB on r/mechmarket
  • Winkeyless b.face x2 PCB with SMT
  • Zealios R3 78g switches
Pre-service interactions
I had initially posted to the keyboard forum and reached out to various members for help.  It was at that time that merlin64 pm'd me and we started talking.  After checking with all the people who replied, merlin64 was tied for the best price for the work but the deal breaker for me was he is in the US and the other member was in Canada; plus he was really nice in all of our conversations.  The thing I appreciated the most out of our conversations was that I had no experience building a board and therefore had no idea what I needed to make one.  Merlin64 walked me through the process and told me what would work and what wouldn't as well as providing alternative options for the PCB and alternatives to the standard 60% layout.

During service interactions
I shipped out all the components via usps flat rate and merlin64 confirmed when he received the package.  From there I received frequent and honest status updates from him.  By honest I mean he included when things didn't go as planned and he said how he would be fixing the issue.  The total build time was 12 days, which for me was not an issue as I was in no rush, also I am not sure if that is a good time frame of not as this was the first board I had assembled for me, but regardless I am happy with the time it took.  During assembly merlin64 again went above and beyond, this time with stabilizer lube.  The GB I joined for the keyboard kit was supposed to have lube but it was left out on my kit.  I didn't realize it would be needed to I just let it go and shipped everything with out it.  Once I told merlin64 that, he was kind enough to offer to lube up my stabilizers free of cost!  Also he tested out the board to make sure everything was in a working condition before he shipped it back to me.  Great customer service!  :thumb:

Post-service interactions
The keyboard was shipped back to me well packaged and with no damage to it.  After playing around with it for a while I had some questions about switching switches and programming the PCB and merlin64 was nice enough to answer all the questions I had as well as clear up a few concepts that I had confused in my head.  Again all interactions were quick and pleasant.

Final thoughts
I would highly recommend merlin64 for any keyboard assembly you may have.  He is always pleasant and prompt in his responses, the work he does is good (can provide pictures if some one wants them, just say so in the comments) and he is very helpful in all stages of assembling the keyboard, plus he goes above and beyond what is necessary!  He will definitely be my go to person whenever I need keyboard assembly or keyboard work done!

I hope this review was able to help some people who may need keyboard assembly services 
CODE Clears 87

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
Re: Soldering Service Review
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 18:28:31 »
damn I wish I had a review like that.

always nice to hear about reliable modders.. :x
I love Elzy

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 24 October 2016, 23:04:43 »
Final thoughts
I would highly recommend merlin64 for any keyboard assembly you may have.  He is always pleasant and prompt in his responses, the work he does is good (can provide pictures if some one wants them, just say so in the comments) and he is very helpful in all stages of assembling the keyboard, plus he goes above and beyond what is necessary!  He will definitely be my go to person whenever I need keyboard assembly or keyboard work done!

I hope this review was able to help some people who may need keyboard assembly services

Nice review of a decent person going beyond the call of duty when it came to building your future keyboard.

Hope Melin64 still retains his manner when 200+ orders start flooding in for his services.  Usually the kindness disappears when trying to fulfill everyone's orders and trust me it will happen naturally because of the pressure that is applied upon him to deliver.

Glad at least you have a decent keyboard you always wanted, through this experience  :thumb: .

Offline TeeBaginDragon

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 17:01:24 »
damn I wish I had a review like that.

always nice to hear about reliable modders.. :x

how much you charge for keyboard assembly? maybe you get one next LOL :p

Final thoughts

Nice review of a decent person going beyond the call of duty when it came to building your future keyboard.

Hope Melin64 still retains his manner when 200+ orders start flooding in for his services.  Usually the kindness disappears when trying to fulfill everyone's orders and trust me it will happen naturally because of the pressure that is applied upon him to deliver.

Glad at least you have a decent keyboard you always wanted, through this experience  :thumb: .

I believe he would?  I know that he was doing a group buy for some plates while we were discussing and assembling my keyboard and I'm sure plenty of ppl were pm'ing him for that (or maybe not? lol) but yeah, it kinda makes me think he would only take on as much as he could handle
CODE Clears 87

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 October 2016, 18:07:36 »
I'm retired now sorry ^_^
I love Elzy