Author Topic: [IC] Calm Depths SA (Updated 8-2)  (Read 63255 times)

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
Re: [IC] Calm Depths SA
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 04:04:09 »
I'd rather support a company that has been nothing but nice to its customers than a company using recycled broken molds to undercut the competition. This whole anti-SP nonsense is childish and entitled.

It's not really anti-SP so much as pro competition and availability of product.  To call it entitled seems a poor choice of words.  You simply have what's essentially been a monopoly in SP SA caps and now another maker comes along that can provide a similar product.  That has people curious to see what's going to come of it.  Personally, I hope MaxKeys does well.  Competition is always good and, perhaps, that will help encourage SP to invest in some additional tooling/molds to handle the SA load.

This, yeah SP has been around monopolizing this profile for awhile, we only see new color combinations and novelty design from the community. But what about triple shot? :D

Offline Ouhei

« Reply #51 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 08:33:29 »
I'd rather support a company that has been nothing but nice to its customers than a company using recycled broken molds to undercut the competition. This whole anti-SP nonsense is childish and entitled.

It's not really anti-SP so much as pro competition and availability of product.  To call it entitled seems a poor choice of words.  You simply have what's essentially been a monopoly in SP SA caps and now another maker comes along that can provide a similar product.  That has people curious to see what's going to come of it.  Personally, I hope MaxKeys does well.  Competition is always good and, perhaps, that will help encourage SP to invest in some additional tooling/molds to handle the SA load.
Yeah, I have nothing against SP, but the more options we have the better off we all are. With the wait time that SP currently has on SA Profile caps, Maxkey has a great opportunity to fulfill demand for that profile. As of now they seem more limited in what they can do (no changing legends or doing novelties) but it's a great alternative to get some cool colorways out there.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 00:43:35 »
I will say that SP has been rather reluctant to increase SA production capabilities which has led to this problem.  I know they're tried to alleviate the problem with things like PBT R3 dyesub SA but it hasn't helped enough.  At what point do they consider increasing production capabilities on SA?  I realize they're reluctant due to the costs involved but given the situation, I hope that there's some behind the scenes discussions going on at SP.

Offline zoomwalt

« Reply #53 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 01:39:21 »
I am interested.

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:15:13 »
Any thoughts on GMK Calm Depths?  Would be a shorter wait time for sure.

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:42:50 »

It would not have the large centered legends, and IMHO that's sorta what makes the set work. It would look good in GMK I'm sure, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline MaNiFeX

• Wu Tang Killa Keebs
    • MaNiFeX.net
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 17:50:37 »

It would not have the large centered legends, and IMHO that's sorta what makes the set work. It would look good in GMK I'm sure, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

True...  MaxKeys might be the solution, then.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 18:45:06 »

Not sure how much that matters, truthfully.  What would need to be considered are the colors, though.  The current GMK cyan is not nearly as bright in person as some of the pictures make it out to be so a custom color for the cyan/turquoise might be in order.

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 10:53:47 »

Not sure how much that matters, truthfully.  What would need to be considered are the colors, though.  The current GMK cyan is not nearly as bright in person as some of the pictures make it out to be so a custom color for the cyan/turquoise might be in order.

Yeah but then it would no longer be the legendary SA Calm Depths! :)

TBH, I'm not sure if an interest check for a GMK version would fare as well, since there's more competition in terms of navy-colored sets..

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 16:38:00 »

Yeah but then it would no longer be the legendary SA Calm Depths! :)

TBH, I'm not sure if an interest check for a GMK version would fare as well, since there's more competition in terms of navy-colored sets..

I think GMK Nautilus has the Calm Depths alpha colors covered pretty well and there's been good interest in that set.  We might look toward DSA instead for those that want spherical caps with centered legends.

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 05:21:54 »
After lots of lurking, finally made an account specifically for this. Interested!

Offline Vloshko

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 05:42:37 »
Love it, want it, I voted on MD you all should to who see this thread.
Keycap Compendium

Discord: Vloshko#1327

Key Cap Wishlist

2019: Configure Optimal Audio Settings

HHKB Pro 2, Model M, Unicorn X Legend, ESPECTRO 96, SaiB CP, E8-V1.

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 08:33:50 »
Calm Depths SA looks amazing, but I hear few reports of people who like typing on SA keycaps, while many people say that they don't like typing on SA.

A dream set would be GMK Calm Depths.

I don't doubt SA will be a monetary and aesthetic success, but GMK would be more welcome by people looking for a keyset to type on.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 13:31:05 by nsmechkb »

Offline nsmechkb

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 02 April 2017, 08:36:32 »
I think GMK Nautilus has the Calm Depths alpha colors covered pretty well and there's been good interest in that set.  We might look toward DSA instead for those that want spherical caps with centered legends.

I agree about the GMK Nautilus alphas.  Nautilus is super nice.  But it suits its own theme.  The yellow legends in the modifiers give a totally different impression from Calm Depths.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 April 2017, 13:31:27 by nsmechkb »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 03 April 2017, 00:58:33 »
Calm Depths SA looks amazing, but I hear few reports of people who like typing on SA keycaps, while many people say that they don't like typing on SA.

A dream set would be GMK Calm Depths.

I don't doubt SA will be a monetary and aesthetic success, but GMK would be more welcome by people looking for a keyset to type on.

I agree that GMK would be a fine choice.  I'm currently typing on GMK Skeletor.  I was more originally commenting on centered legends.  DSA might work well there.

Offline doom2

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:21:17 »
What is the status on this? Crapiface basically made the IC and left. I'm suspecting a bamboozle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:23:57 »
What is the status on this? Crapiface basically made the IC and left. I'm suspecting a bamboozle.

The IC was shut down, IIRC, as the original designer / GB runner did not want for this particular GB to be run. The IC organizer did not properly contact the past runner for advice/permission to re-run.

Offline Weiss

• Impulse buying at its finest
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 16:46:35 »

The IC was shut down, IIRC, as the original designer / GB runner did not want for this particular GB to be run. The IC organizer did not properly contact the past runner for advice/permission to re-run.

Wow really? From what I read on Reddit, the IC organizer said he ran it by the initial designer and got his permission. Really big bamboozle.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:09:13 »
Unfortunately, that was not the case, as some community members decided to look into it a little more deeply and figured it was indeed a bamboozle. Anyone may correct me if I am mistaken. I don't want to misinform anyone, but this is what I read/heard.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:13:50 »
Unfortunately, that was not the case, as some community members decided to look into it a little more deeply and figured it was indeed a bamboozle. Anyone may correct me if I am mistaken. I don't want to misinform anyone, but this is what I read/heard.

Do you remember where it was discussed?

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 17 April 2017, 17:34:04 »
AFAIK it was discussed on a private chat channel, and one of my friends relayed me the info casually when we met. I'm so sorry for not providing a solid, reliable source.

r/mk had its IC posted by OP, but there haven't been updates since, so it appears as though it won't be going anywhere for now, or it is waiting for the SP queue to clear up (which won't happen given the increasing influx of ICs for SA sets):

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5y2whb/buyingcalm_depths_poll_up_on_massdrop_more_info/

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #72 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 02:15:31 »
So... then someone else start a new thread and run it?  It's going to be a while if it remains SP SA.  Otherwise, there's MaxKeys SA, GMK, DSA, and DCS as considerations.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 12:54:18 »
So... then someone else start a new thread and run it?  It's going to be a while if it remains SP SA.  Otherwise, there's MaxKeys SA, GMK, DSA, and DCS as considerations.

As confusing as these things are, I think SP recently said something about not wanting to re-run sets without the original person's permission (or something) after that Penumbra thing went down. Since it seems like permission was not given by the original GB runner, starting another IC thread doesn't seem to be the issue. Getting the OK to run the set seems to be the issue. As it always is.

So, I don't think it's going to be happening if this is the case. Kind of silly if you ask me.

Offline doom2

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 13:41:57 »
Then it'd be nice to know that and hear it from OP rather than abandoning this IC thread.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:06:33 »
AFAIK it was discussed on a private chat channel, and one of my friends relayed me the info casually when we met. I'm so sorry for not providing a solid, reliable source.

r/mk had its IC posted by OP, but there haven't been updates since, so it appears as though it won't be going anywhere for now, or it is waiting for the SP queue to clear up (which won't happen given the increasing influx of ICs for SA sets):

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/5y2whb/buyingcalm_depths_poll_up_on_massdrop_more_info/

This was never discussed. I will update the IC.

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:12:20 »

Has the "permission" been obtained from the original runner and Melissa from SP? Can we get proof?

I wish this does become a GB.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:13:41 »

Wow really? From what I read on Reddit, the IC organizer said he ran it by the initial designer and got his permission. Really big bamboozle.

This never happened. Check the original post, I updated it.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #78 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:16:16 »

Has the "permission" been obtained from the original runner and Melissa from SP? Can we get proof?

Done and done!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:19:51 »
Fingers crossed this works out!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #80 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:20:28 »

Done and done!

You might want to edit out email addresses in the images you posted but congrats on trying to do things the right way and good luck moving forward.

Offline Crapiface

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:29:31 »

Done and done!

You might want to edit out email addresses in the images you posted but congrats on trying to do things the right way and good luck moving forward.

On the other hand, nobody would believe me if I edited them out :P I don't really care about my email address.

Offline pikafunky

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 15:54:57 »
If this does run, please keep it SA profile.  I think part of the appeal of the set is with the profile and, at least personally, I would be sad to see it changed.

Offline breusch91

• * Maker
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 20:47:42 »
If this does run, please keep it SA profile.  I think part of the appeal of the set is with the profile and, at least personally, I would be sad to see it changed.

I'd like SA Profile to but not how it was run. Would love a fully sculpted set. This was something like R1,R2,R3,R3,R3 correct?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 21:11:25 »
If this does happen, I think it's really important that it be SA profile (at least this GB). Since the original creator seems to be on board, other profiles can be run but what this set is famous for is Signature Plastics SA profile. Will there be a wait? Yes. Will be people be happy after the wait? Yes. If you don't get in now, will it shorten the wait for an SA profile SP keyset? No, so might as well get in line at some point.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:32:08 »

Treat it like any other "classic" set that's been run many times over and just run it. 

As for Melissa, we've got it in another thread from a while back in the Keycaps forum from Melissa that no explicit permission was needed for the colorways themselves. 
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 April 2017, 23:33:45 by Niomosy »

Offline SeedyOne

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 23:36:09 »

Agreed. Interested at same profile.

Offline RyuDragoon

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 08:53:31 »
Sign me up. SA is love.

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 09:01:06 »
Need that set!

Offline doom2

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:03:41 »
Also agree it should be kept SA and fully sculpted SA at that. I know there was an "unofficial" run of Penumbra a while back but it was uniform R3. For me, full sculpt the way to go.

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 10:05:13 »

Agreed. Interested at same profile.

+3 for SA. Not sure I would be interested otherwise, tbh. It would be a travesty to run this set in any other profile. I would gladly wait.

Offline waldorf120

• My keyboard never leaves me bored
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 21 April 2017, 16:36:28 »
Interested, and I would love to have XD60 support (2u Shift)

Offline atypikal

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 22 April 2017, 00:35:52 »
Definitely. Have already ordered a case, PCB, switches and stabs, this is the last piece of the puzzle that I'm waiting for.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 13:39:42 »
Super interested!

Offline rustywok

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 16:31:55 »
Count me in. SA please.

Offline online

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 17:21:22 »
+1 SA is the way to go!

Offline diqkiq

« Reply #96 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:49:27 »
Im in

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Filco Majestouch TKL, Noppoo Choc Mini, Realforce 87 55g, Model M TKL, Ducky Shine 3 TKL, KC60, Planck.

Offline kevinzavier

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 18:29:31 »
Bump, any news on this?

Offline doom2

« Reply #98 on: Thu, 11 May 2017, 10:40:55 »
Bump, any news on this?

I would PM the guy on reddit. His username is somewhere in this thread.