Author Topic: Caffiene Detox  (Read 41425 times)

Offline 9999hp

Caffiene Detox
« on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 04:54:32 »
The only other related thread on search was 7 years old...

So anyway, has any one done a caffeine detox before? Anyone do it regularly?

I decided to attempt it when I tested my blood and some of it was out of whack among other issues. I had trouble staying up for any length of time aside from early morning, by noon I'd want to go to bed had I not had any coffee. Seeing if a tolerance reset and real sleep would sort it out in about 7-10 days. I'm on day 3.

Pre-day one, had a small coffee (It was actually leftovers from the previous day) because I anticipated the migraines.

Day 1 was painful Migraine day and my Monday, so double **** storm. That was not a fun day. I had trouble at work staying both awake and focused. Chugged a lot of water, > 1 gallon. Slept as soon as I got off work for 11ish hours.

Day 2 Mild migraine, no where near the levels of bad day 1 was. Continued with the water to help me stay awake. Stayed up for a bit after work, slept for 8-9ish hours.

Day 3 Started well, felt a little bit of a headache, but it has since subsided. I had a bunch of food and I'm not tired yet from that either. Not as much water today though, I should get on that.

I should add that I've only been drinking water these last few days, and it feels like my appetite is increased. Maybe just for some type of sugar-dopamine rush. Overall, I have been feeling much better "mentally", I was pretty dependent on that caffeine it seems.

Have any of you attempted it? I honestly thought I'd "relapse" after the 2nd day. I was already bargaining on the first, but the second I kind of forgot about it.

I'm actually really excited to have that cup of coffee at the end of the week or whatever. It'll be like the first time allll over again.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Caffiene Detox
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 06:31:47 »
I did this about 15 years ago, and was an occasional coffee drinker since, until about a year ago when I started drinking one cup daily again.

When I realized that I needed to do it, I immediately dropped to one cup (strong) per day. After a week or so, I started making it weaker by perhaps 25% for a week at a time for a few weeks, then dropped it altogether.

Afterwards, I still drank coffee occasionally, but tried to make it a point to not drink it for more than 2-3 days in a row to ensure that I did not become addicted again.

In the near future I plan to break my habit again.
State Freedom Caucus News 2024
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 10:40:06 »
It's a Drug...

So it's a source of dopamine in one's lifestyle.

If you remove this,  for most people,  they'll put something else in there in its place..

If that replacement is xercise, then hurray,    but if its chocolate pudding,  or more western-greasy-foods in general,   then TECHNICALLY, quitting the coffee would only accelerate the common affluence diseases.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 01:33:14 »
Oh absolutely, I agree. Another good reason for me to stop for a moment. As far as its usefulness, I love coffee but the end of the day like you said it's a drug. I have a pseudo-masochistic urge to break myself of these dopamine pleasures often.

Working out can get like that also, you eventually rely on that testosterone (In men, can't speak about women.) and endorphins to keep your mood level.

Fohat, how much coffee do you drink when you do? And TP do you partake in caffeine?

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 01:40:47 »
I'm an incredibly heavy Coke drinker with milk nearly being the only other fluid I drink. Occasionally I switch it up, but like, I hate the taste of water so I have a real problem drinking it. "More water" is always on my list of changes to make, but I can never stick with it for more than a couple days at best.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 03:40:11 »
I'm an incredibly heavy Coke drinker with milk nearly being the only other fluid I drink. Occasionally I switch it up, but like, I hate the taste of water so I have a real problem drinking it. "More water" is always on my list of changes to make, but I can never stick with it for more than a couple days at best.

I know people like that, some of them have been amazing athletes too to my surprise. I initially read that as "I drink coke with milk.".. And thought... "I wonder if that's good? I should try it" hahaha

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 04:08:42 »

I know people like that, some of them have been amazing athletes too to my surprise. I initially read that as "I drink coke with milk.".. And thought... "I wonder if that's good? I should try it" hahaha

When I was 8,   i did twizzler, milk, coke, orange soda, sugar, hotdog, m&ms..

It made sense at the time.. first experience with blender..

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 05:28:20 »
An older guy I worked with used to take a couple drinks of a bottled Coke to make some room and then pour in a bunch of peanuts. Apparently, it was some old school farmers "hack" so they could eat and drink at the same time, while still being able to keep one hand on the wheel of their tractor. Back in the day, I guess breaks were very minimal if you owned a farm, so you came up with these types of LPTs.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 05:38:44 »
It's a Drug...

So it's a source of dopamine in one's lifestyle.

If you remove this,  for most people,  they'll put something else in there in its place..

If that replacement is xercise, then hurray,    but if its chocolate pudding,  or more western-greasy-foods in general,   then TECHNICALLY, quitting the coffee would only accelerate the common affluence diseases.

Definitely chocolate pudding and greasy foods with my coffee.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 06:48:59 »

Fohat, how much coffee do you drink when you do?

One cup, but I make it strong. I always use real cream and no sugar. Years ago I read an article, in Scientific American as I remember, where a study showed that milk fat had a coating effect on the stomach that was beneficial in cutting the acidity of the coffee as well slowing and smoothing the effect. It only takes a tiny amount, but only real milk fat will do it.

An older guy I worked with used to take a couple drinks of a bottled Coke to make some room and then pour in a bunch of peanuts. Apparently, it was some old school farmers "hack" so they could eat and drink at the same time, while still being able to keep one hand on the wheel of their tractor.

I am an older guy and this was not uncommon before cans replaced bottles. I never heard a rationale like what you described, but it makes sense. We did it where vending machines dispensed bottled Cokes and small plastic envelopes of peanuts in the same area.
Missouri state Senator Nick Schroer sponsors a bill that would allow senators to duel one another — in the Senate chambers! – legally.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 06:53:10 »
I am an older guy and this was not uncommon before cans replaced bottles. I never heard a rationale like what you described, but it makes sense. We did it where vending machines dispensed bottled Cokes and small plastic envelopes of peanuts in the same area.

That was the story he told us when everyone saw him do it for the first time in the break room. That's waaaay before my time, so I can't confirm the start being a farming tradition, but at least you're another person to verify it was actually done. No one else had seen anyone do it before.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 07:45:52 »

Definitely chocolate pudding and greasy foods with my coffee.

You gotta be double careful if you're Dual-wielding coffee ontop of Dericious-foods.

Because the -high- they generate depletes you mentally such that you're always hungry for more.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 10:30:02 »

hahaha that explains everything!

A fellow I knew used to put salty prunes in his Mickey's, but I don't think that was whatsoever work related

When I was 8,   i did twizzler, milk, coke, orange soda, sugar, hotdog, m&ms..

It made sense at the time.. first experience with blender..

Offline Kavik

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 11:51:55 »
I've had some trouble sleeping recently, so tried to do this for three days or so with some success.

I'd been using even more caffeine to stay up since I'd been sleeping poorly, which, in turn, made me sleep even worse, causing me to need more caffeine. Bad cycle. So I just decided to tough it out and be tired for a few days. I accidentally had a Dr. Pepper and maybe an iced tea during the three days, but soda/pop and tea almost never give me any energy anyway (except for Mountain Dew sometimes). It helped; although, now I'm back to one to three cups of coffee per day. In very extreme cases, I'll take a pre-workout pill called Cellucor Super HD, but this has the potential to *really* jack up my sleep schedule; I've taken it at 2 PM before and not been able to sleep until 2 AM. I only take that if the consequence of falling asleep is death or unemployment though.

I usually have one cup at home immediately after waking up, and, if I'm still dragging a bit, I'll have another one at work. On days that I go to the gym, I'll have a cup before my workout.

I agree with fohat.digs's comment about the milk fat. I generally prefer black coffee unless I'm at the office, in which case the coffee is so bad that I have to cover the taste with cream and sugar, but more than one cup of black will hurt my tummy. Either a splash of milk or a bite of cheese with my coffee prevents that.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline tristinDLC

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 12:18:02 »
I'm fairly positive that with as much Coke as I've continuously drunk, I'm mostly immune to caffeine's effect on my body. I've given it up before as I use to be a Navy submariner and would run out of whatever I brought with me at some point in the deployment and I saw no change. I think I've just permanently damaged that part of my receptors.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 15:53:43 »

Have you tried combining the two in one glass?

Apparently that's a thing, and some say it's really nice, but I've never bother to try mixing them.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:09:10 »

Apparently that's a thing, and some say it's really nice, but I've never bother to try mixing them.

Diluted Coke ?

I have heard of cooking Rice with cocacola..  but not drinking diluted coke.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:33:19 »

Diluted Coke ?

Rice with coke, for what reason?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 16:48:55 »

Diluted Coke ?

Rice with coke, for what reason?

Some people like the flavor..

Same reason why they make coke (cola) flavored hard candy..

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:13:18 »
I tried doing a similar detox this past summer. I wasn't nearly as hooked as some in this thread, but I still started on a Friday because I knew migranes would be better at home over the weekend than at work. Friday I had a nasty migraine and went home on the earlier side. Slept. Saturday I had another terrible migraine. Chugged a Redbull and a black coffee. Felt so much better. It was then that I decided to switch to tea and taper the amount of caffeine I take in. The latter approach was worlds more successful than the cold turkey.
ai03 Meridian Mech 27E8.5Brutal60SSK White LabelHHKB Pro JPvAEK68 Alps BluesRF87u

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 17:34:29 »

It was then that I decided to switch to tea and taper the amount of caffeine I take in. The latter approach was worlds more successful than the cold turkey.

Cold turkey is harsh. Unless there is some compelling external reason, tapering is so much better. You could crash it and do it in a week, but a month is probably much more pleasant.

Some medical professionals think that post-operative hospital patients suffer greatly from caffeine withdrawal on top of other trauma such as accidents and operations, and may not even realize it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 09 November 2017, 19:59:14 »

Diluted Coke ?

Dilution usually refers to mixing with water.  This is mixing Coke with milk.  Technically either could be said to have been diluted, but really it's just a Code/milk mixture.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 05:51:15 »
I've reset my caffeine tolerance, and since have only wanted coffee every 3-4 days so far and its usually to augment an activity, like gaming or something creative.

I have been sleeping more which is definitely a plus, as well as the hydration from not having a diarrhetic at all hours.

My mood is certainly more stable? Less highs, less lows. More mild hum.

So net positive, however I'm curious how I'll manage the tolerance when I get back into lifting/exercising regularly. Does this mean migraines every so many weeks? hmm

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 05:57:26 »
I've reset my caffeine tolerance, and since have only wanted coffee every 3-4 days so far and its usually to augment an activity, like gaming or something creative.

I have been sleeping more which is definitely a plus, as well as the hydration from not having a diarrhetic at all hours.

My mood is certainly more stable? Less highs, less lows. More mild hum.

So net positive, however I'm curious how I'll manage the tolerance when I get back into lifting/exercising regularly. Does this mean migraines every so many weeks? hmm

Drugs: You use, you lose

Shoot for the Stars not your arms

Hugs not drugs

Drug free is the way to be

Too smart to start

There is no excuse for drug abuse

Do a good deed and kill the weed

Do dope, Lose Hope

Crack is Whack

It is easier to stay off drugs than to get off drugs

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 07:30:21 »
Haha, too true. The DARE program failed me.

Consciousness/dopamine manipulation is entertaining at the very least and in numerous ways beneficial.

Isn't coffee vegan? Or are you straightedge too?xxx

Is there a TP4 f.a.q? Call me nosy, but I'm very interested in the specifics of your lifestyle/beliefs. But right now, it's kind of mystifying and magical.

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 07:49:38 »
Been on black coffee and one soda a day since I came off of Keto. Never really got headaches, like you were reporting in the OP, when I stopped drinking them all together, and I was drinking about a 2 liter a day of cola + very very sweet coffee every morning and after dinner.

Guess I was lucky  :D

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 09:18:08 »

Consciousness/dopamine manipulation is entertaining at the very least and in numerous ways beneficial.

The use of our dopa-response system for _Entertainment Purposes_ , is a case of clever hijacking.

The natural routine of that subsystem is meant to move biological life forward in General terms.

But, at some point, prefrontal cortex development lead to revelations of the systems operational shortcomings.

That knowledge properly utilized leads to asceticism and focus.

Used improperly, we end up with hedonism and listlessness.

But because this system is in the mid-brain, it has priority and can powerfully de-tune the prefrontal.

When a person feels a dopa-high,  he doesn't want to think further, everything feels all right, and that whatever needs to be done can be done TOMORROW.

This feedback loop can be mild, in the case of tobacco/coffee/candy/chocolate/sex,   or Severe  Ritalin/marajuana/cocaine/heroin/meth/fentanyl

Addicts aren't fundamentally bad people, they are however notoriously unreliable for all collaborations outside of doing more drugs.

In the end..  everyone has to decide for themselves..  it's at least important to recognize ones actions for what they are.. instead of succumbing to retro-justifications by consequence..

George didn't leave his wife, because she became a b*tch,  she was always a b*tch,  but now she's also become phat and unattractive.  George decided he wants a hotter partner, regardless of actual degrees of b*tchiness.  George only utilized her bad-attitude as justification, because it would be socially-unbecoming to end relationships for more superficial reasons..

Offline yuppie

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 09:33:19 »

The use of our dopa-response system for _Entertainment Purposes_ , is a case of clever hijacking.

The natural routine of that subsystem is meant to move biological life forward in General terms.

But, at some point, prefrontal cortex development lead to revelations of the systems operational shortcomings.

That knowledge properly utilized leads to asceticism and focus.

Used improperly, we end up with hedonism and listlessness.

But because this system is in the mid-brain, it has priority and can powerfully de-tune the prefrontal.

When a person feels a dopa-high,  he doesn't want to think further, everything feels all right, and that whatever needs to be done can be done TOMORROW.

This feedback loop can be mild, in the case of tobacco/coffee/candy/chocolate/sex,   or Severe  Ritalin/marajuana/cocaine/heroin/meth/fentanyl

Addicts aren't fundamentally bad people, they are however notoriously unreliable for all collaborations outside of doing more drugs.

In the end..  everyone has to decide for themselves..  it's at least important to recognize ones actions for what they are.. instead of succumbing to retro-justifications by consequence..

George didn't leave his wife, because she became a b*tch,  she was always a b*tch,  but now she's also become phat and unattractive.  George decided he wants a hotter partner, regardless of actual degrees of b*tchiness.  George only utilized her bad-attitude as justification, because it would be socially-unbecoming to end relationships for more superficial reasons..

"Overall, it's a good community..  wish you well on your Pokemon Journey.." - TP4
Current Trades -- Wishlist

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 11:03:25 »
Caffeine makes me sleepy sometimes.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 16:35:31 »

You've crossed the threshold.

It's the same with heroin,  a little makes you feel great,  alot makes you node off,  too much stops your heart and breathing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 21 November 2017, 19:54:56 »

I thought I was the only one.

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #31 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 02:34:19 »

It's the same with heroin,  a little makes you feel great,  alot makes you node off,  too much stops your heart and breathing.

That escalated quickly

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 07:58:28 »

That escalated quickly

People make these elaborate lists of things that are different.

But with respect to WHY we DO ANYTHING at all,  it's a very simple metric in the brain..

You did X, at one point, it released this much dopamine, this generated a memory this strong.

Tomorrow, weigh this memory (dopa potential) against other possibilities.

If other Possibilities > X,  do other, otherwise, do X..

That's not oversimplified, That's literally it..

That's why it's important to look at END Game human behavior..

The normal course of dopa release, is a slow rise in core fundamentals, then a peak on hedonistic tendencies, by that time, it would've been approximately age 45, and you would've only lived 5 more years if not for human society and technology.  (wild humans died around age 50)

Now that people live longer , with even more capacity and tech,  we peak on hedonism as early as age 10-14.

From there, we attempt to exceed our natural designs in pleasure reception, and throw ever growing resource at maximizing the "feels"

There is Slow corruption of our core metric (greasy food),  and there's rapid (heroin)..

They both lead to the SAME PLACE..

If anything, slow corruption consumes significantly more resources.

The solution is obvious, but because we've dampened public education for so many years to maintain the bottom service level occupations,  we have an entire society of idiots and rabid-addicts..

Even though now we know, continuing this course is dangerous and may lead to serious extinction threats, how are we suppose to undo all the years of amassing a dangerously large non-thinking population, who have never been trained to adhere to any level of temperance

We can't just tell people to do something, and they do it.

The majority of behaviors are built early from the grounds up. Some things like (cohesive family structures) take generations to take root and inherit..

Offline Frailty

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 01:33:53 »
I don’t know about the last guy but I’ve been thinking about easing off of the coffee as of late but I also work really weird hours. Has anyone ever used the adrenal gland supplements that you can take while also scaling back coffee? I did once and it really helped. There were still headaches but a lot of the non-stop fatigue was reeled back.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 06:39:49 »
I don’t know about the last guy but I’ve been thinking about easing off of the coffee as of late but I also work really weird hours. Has anyone ever used the adrenal gland supplements that you can take while also scaling back coffee? I did once and it really helped. There were still headaches but a lot of the non-stop fatigue was reeled back.

It's unpleasant, but relative to goin' to wurk earyday, it's a small battle..

Caffeine addiction rides out.. Unlike heroin, which is ~permanent damage..

Offline Frailty

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 06:43:41 »

It's unpleasant, but relative to goin' to wurk earyday, it's a small battle..

Caffeine addiction rides out.. Unlike heroin, which is ~permanent damage..

Yeah. You’re just frazzling your adrenal glands to the point that they’re not really able to do anything for you.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 07:03:12 »

Yeah. You’re just frazzling your adrenal glands to the point that they’re not really able to do anything for you.

You're on the path brother,  Remain Firm. !!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 07:28:12 »
Can't stop drinking.....

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 24 April 2018, 08:05:52 »
Can't stop drinking.....

Show Image

//Temptations !

Offline widdlekitty

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 09:36:10 »
I give up caffeine for a couple weeks about twice a year. Generally never cold turkey, but a gradual taper over the course of a week or two. I'm a bit less on edge and sleep great when I'm off. That first week drinking coffee after a break is pretty wonderful, though.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 10:46:59 »
I bought a "weight-loss drink" at the gym this morning because I couldn't stay awake and ****ing hell that woke me up. I looked it up later and that tiny 12oz can had over 200mg of caffeine.  :-X
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 13:58:33 »
I bought a "weight-loss drink" at the gym this morning because I couldn't stay awake and ****ing hell that woke me up. I looked it up later and that tiny 12oz can had over 200mg of caffeine.  :-X

That is how addict minds work.

You knew there was going to be "Probably a large quantity" of caffeine in there.

In fact your subconscious deeply desired it.

And you come back here to report post-relapse ignorance to ease the guilt. hahahaha

It's exactly like how alcoholics will just bargain with themselves and have a TINY drink, or a LIGHT -Beer..    Then somehow end up wasted...  and then complain to the counselor how there was more alcohol in those beers than advertised..

But the actual mistake is in picking up the drug again in the first place.

Understanding this cycle of mental gymnastics is the only way one has a shot at jumping out of the loop..

It's not about fault,  Events are themselves blameless,  but do note, your brain is in a learned addiction cycle..

Stress->Drugs->Stress->Drugs

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 14:09:21 »
I knew it had a lot of caffeine but I was expecting it to have much less - 60-80mg like most other energy drinks. I have no guilt because I'm not addicted to the caffeine, I only drink it when I really need it now instead of drinking 3-4 sodas daily for no reason.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 16:56:34 »
I knew it had a lot of caffeine but I was expecting it to have much less - 60-80mg like most other energy drinks. I have no guilt because I'm not addicted to the caffeine, I only drink it when I really need it now instead of drinking 3-4 sodas daily for no reason.

Hey man.. Don't need to convince anyone else.. How long you stay in the well is up to you.

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 27 April 2018, 19:20:43 »

Diluted Coke ?

Dilution usually refers to mixing with water.  This is mixing Coke with milk.  Technically either could be said to have been diluted, but really it's just a Code/milk mixture.
What's the big deal? It sound delicious, like a melted ice-cream Coke float! Also, you should try sodapop with condensed milk--almost as good as a float.
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline floatingskull

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:21:40 »
I started drinking matcha instead. It's a bit more expensive but definitely does not give the headaches that coffee does if you stop drinking it.

Offline anatworkaccount

« Reply #46 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 13:34:44 »
This has inspired me. I think I need to do something similar for myself.

Offline quazikun

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 07 June 2018, 19:46:15 »
I like to slowly wean off until I'm drinking maybe just a cup of coffee each day. I know it's bad when I get headaches on days I don't drink any caffeine, time to start weaning then

Offline smarmar

• My other Dell Quiet Keys is a Model M
    • Short Stories to Read in the Dark
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 15:15:13 »
I like to slowly wean off until I'm drinking maybe just a cup of coffee each day. I know it's bad when I get headaches on days I don't drink any caffeine, time to start weaning then
I've never gotten caffeine headaches (those must suck) but my motivation drops and I get cranky when I'm jonezin' for a cup. I'm a 2-3 caffeine drink per day kinda guy...usually a mix of coffee and tea, depending on what's available. I can go a few days without caffeine as long as I stay physically and mentally active. otherwise, bombs away!
1992 IBM Model M | Tesoro Durandal[Browns] | Hi-Tek Series 725[Space Invaders] | Tandy Enhanced[Sliders] | Dell Quiet Keys | Mitsumi[AT]

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 12:20:37 »
Finally went through with the caffiene detox, I'm on week 3 of non-dependence. First week was no caffeine input at all, second I introduced kombucha/tea, and this week I've reversed the habit in that I drink caffeine on weekends for fun.

First couple days were hell, but after that it was just willpower to overcome the physical habit. Really enjoying it so far and how I feel. Although I miss how good coffee tastes. I think the exercise in willpower made it easier to fast for me as well.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 12:41:54 »
Finally went through with the caffiene detox, I'm on week 3 of non-dependence. First week was no caffeine input at all, second I introduced kombucha/tea, and this week I've reversed the habit in that I drink caffeine on weekends for fun.

First couple days were hell, but after that it was just willpower to overcome the physical habit. Really enjoying it so far and how I feel. Although I miss how good coffee tastes. I think the exercise in willpower made it easier to fast for me as well.

It's a drug..  as addicting as cigarettes..

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #51 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 12:54:49 »

no argument there.

Offline jacethesaltsculptor

• IBM = I Buy Model-M's
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 01 January 2020, 20:56:03 »
I realized that a lot of my anxiety was being exacerbated by Caffeine, but that I had to go to bed late, so I needed something to keep going.

I did a few weeks without, which let me get off, and then decided to change up what I drink.

I've always been a tea guy, but now I'm drinking much less Caffeine in general, and am just doing a good half and half of Tisanes (teas that aren't the tea plant) and Tea. Which has done me a lot of good.

My current love is Honeybush with honey in it. It's amazing, almost like drinking a warm earthy comfortable honeycomb.

What I really need is a tea Post, I'm making one.

Unicomp M122 - Unicomp Classic Trackball - IBM Model M13 - IBM Model F122 - IBM Model F Bigfoot - IBM Model F AT - Ducky Shine 3 Yellow

Offline el_murdoque

« Reply #53 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 09:10:25 »
I lived on Coffee and Beer as my only beverages for months at times.
Nowadays it's simple. I have one cup of freshly ground hipster brand coffee,
hand pressed, in the morning. I started with 18 grams but I am down to 10.
I will have a third of a liter of water before that cup and one after it, to make up for the loss.

The funny thing is, after I started doing some of the things that are commonly known and recommended as healthy,
such as getting up not too late, drinking lots of water, exercise regularly, a small daily yoga routine, seeing the sun once in a while and participating in sports, I can stay up longer and be more productive without coffee or other enhancers than before, using the whole arsenal.
Maybe, if I did it now, I could raise the bar even further, but only for a little while. The body will come collect its debts. And running on coffee is running on a tab that's increasing with each cup.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #54 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 11:24:12 »
I go off and on caffiene for months at a time. The first few days after quitting aren't fun, but I honestly feel better without it in my life long term. I only started it recently because I'm doing a keto diet for the 3rd time now, and I don't know how to do keto effectively without "bulletproof coffee." After I loose 60lbs I'll quit caffiene again.

Offline bliss

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 14:57:33 »
Had trouble with caffeine, too. Here's what worked for me:
  • switched brand - the coffee from a major brand left me with major withdrawal symptoms
  • limit intake to 10am thru 2pm so the sleep cycle remains untouched
  • two cups a day
And keep in mind that coffee/caffeine just mobilizes energy, but does not actually provide it.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2020, 15:36:47 by bliss »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 15:44:33 »

that is a retarded statement

HURR DURR CHOCOLATE IS JUST LIKE HEROIN DUHHHH

that's you right now

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 16:06:11 »

that's you right now

Please do your research ,

Caffeine , Cigarettes , Alcohol, all raise dopamine to ~200% baseline level.

They are equivalent in terms of -the High- and addictive potential.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 16:38:52 »

that's you right now

Please do your research ,

Caffeine , Cigarettes , Alcohol, all raise dopamine to ~200% baseline level.

They are equivalent in terms of -the High- and addictive potential.

Increased dopamine is a good thing. Eating food, vitamins, human contact, music, and being in the sun all raise dopamine levels as well. Should we all sit in dark rooms with the shades drawn and ear muffs on humming loudly? The same could be said for any of those things. You get a massage, your dopamine levels increase, you feel good. So now you are addicted to massages? Is that how it works?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 17:19:05 »
Increased dopamine is a good thing. Eating food, vitamins, human contact, music, and being in the sun all raise dopamine levels as well. Should we all sit in dark rooms with the shades drawn and ear muffs on humming loudly? The same could be said for any of those things. You get a massage, your dopamine levels increase, you feel good. So now you are addicted to massages? Is that how it works?

The system has natural thresholds, adjustable within a small range.

You go beyond 150% consistently enough,  and you end up with a personality , well, Like Noisy-Turtles.

hahahahahaha

Again , turtle, there's no argument to win here, just do a look up. The hedonic loop is well understood.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #60 on: Mon, 12 December 2022, 08:07:05 »
I tried to get rid of caffeine addiction myself

I have done it a couple of times over the years, and gone back after half a year or so. There is considerable research that finds little negative consequence from reasonable use. An informative and amusing personal account is found in this interesting book :

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/56015023-this-is-your-mind-on-plants

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 12 December 2022, 11:22:34 »

I have done it a couple of times over the years, and gone back after half a year or so. There is considerable research that finds little negative consequence from reasonable use. An informative and amusing personal account is found in this interesting book :

Caffeine has significant impact on sleep quality.  it reduces critical cycles of various sleep stages.

essentially, a long term coffee drinker is aging their brains approximately 10-15 years.

Matt Walker, a sleep scientist who researches this has a great book on sleep, "Why we sleep"

Offline RitzyKraken

• Ritzy Kraken
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 11 January 2023, 12:09:25 »

Caffeine has significant impact on sleep quality.  it reduces critical cycles of various sleep stages.

essentially, a long term coffee drinker is aging their brains approximately 10-15 years.

Matt Walker, a sleep scientist who researches this has a great book on sleep, "Why we sleep"

That’s really interesting
Artisan wrist rest maker in the USA
https://www.instagram.com/ritzykraken/

Offline CaesarAZealad

• Racc
« Reply #63 on: Sun, 19 February 2023, 21:01:05 »

that's you right now
I had a caffeine addiction. It most certainly is just like any other drug. You build a dependency on it, build tolerance and need more and more of it. I've drank at least 1 can of Dr Pepper a day every single day of my life since I started highschool, and it's only now in my sophomore year of college that I'm kicking the habit. I was going through a 12 pack of Dr Pepper in half a week, which used to be just a 12 pack in a week, which used to be a can or two per day.
When I quit I got legitimate cravings to the point where if it wasn't for the fact I didn't have my car I probably would've hauled my ass to the store just to sate it.
It may seem like a stupid thing to be addicted to, but caffeine, like TP said, is a drug like anything else. Just because the government allows it in products doesn't make it any less dangerous.
One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, Eighteen, Nineteen, Twenty... Yeah that seems about right.
"Ask your mother how good I can use more than two fingers." - Caesar, 2023

Offline TWX

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 04 February 2024, 10:34:10 »
Hitting Panera for breakfast in the morning on my way into work I've managed switch from coffee to lemonade, surprisingly no caffeine headaches at all.
TWX
C:\>echo y|format C: /q

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 06 February 2024, 10:07:36 »
Just this week I am tapering myself off. I love coffee but I have an upcoming surgery and I don't want to go through it and its recovery while addicted.

I have been amazed at how well I have slept the last few nights!