Author Topic: I think Mac keyboard also did a great job  (Read 3750 times)

Offline sandy1995

I think Mac keyboard also did a great job
« on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 08:44:01 »
I知 just sharing my joy from making the switch from windows to Mac a year ago. With 2 screens and learning the shortcuts with a lovely keyboard, I can save up much more time and be way more efficient than ever.

Offline AMongoose

• happy workman user
Re: I think Mac keyboard also did a great job
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 08:47:34 »
I知 just sharing my joy from making the switch from windows to Mac a year ago. With 2 screens and learning the shortcuts with a lovely keyboard, I can save up much more time and be way more efficient than ever.

Your keyboard is but ugly tho.

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 09:14:36 »
@AMongoose but all my friends are jealous of my new keyboard ;D

Offline Coreda

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 09:35:11 »
What's the keyboard at the bottom? Novel style, I like it.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 10:02:58 »
I see what you mean, and know quite a few people in the same boat, but you're further sucking yourself into the apple ecosystem. First macbook, then iphone, followed by all of your data in their 'cloud', and then your keyboard and shortcuts ALL geared to Apple.

Part of me sees the appeal, part of me fears it.

Cool keyboard though. Novel as all hell.  :)
ai03 Meridian Mech 27E8.5Brutal60SSK White LabelHHKB Pro JPvAEK68 Alps BluesRF87u

Offline Coreda

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 10:07:50 »
The positioning of the Command key (essentially the equivalent of Ctrl on Windows) will always be superior. Placing Ctrl on the very bottom-left side of PC boards was a mistake.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 10:51:18 »
The positioning of the Command key (essentially the equivalent of Ctrl on Windows) will always be superior. Placing Ctrl on the very bottom-left side of PC boards was a mistake.

Swap left control and caps lock. Problem solved.
ai03 Meridian Mech 27E8.5Brutal60SSK White LabelHHKB Pro JPvAEK68 Alps BluesRF87u

Offline Coreda

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 11:55:24 »

Not a fan of that either tbh. On my systems I simply remapped it to the Mac-style position via software. Thumb position ftw.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 13:26:40 »

Not a fan of that either tbh. On my systems I simply remapped it to the Mac-style position via software. Thumb position ftw.

I'd be curious to hear you're reasoning. I mean, home row is prime real estate on a keyboard. Why would you not want your most used mod right on the home row?

I'll keep in mind that I'm running i3 on Debian so EVERYTHING I do is tied to a mod binding, but still... caps lock is probably among the least used key and yet it's sitting right next to your most used keys. Throw up over by num lock and forget about it.

Offline jackalopephoto

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:08:49 »
I've heard about this keyboard and a major problem is it has even MORE stagger than the standard typewriter layout. Look at the paths your left hand fingers take

Offline Coreda

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 14:38:20 »

I'd be curious to hear you're reasoning. I mean, home row is prime real estate on a keyboard. Why would you not want your most used mod right on the home row?

Two main reasons. It stretches my fingers almost as much as Ctrl's original position when reaching from my little finger on the Caps Lock and the index finger on the C and V keys, particularly the latter. Maybe some use their thumb instead though it would be tricky to avoid hitting the spacebar.

Whereas using the key directly left of the spacebar as Ctrl (or Cmd on the Mac) means I only have to slightly shift my left thumb inward (to the left) from its position over the spacebar which for me is more comfortable for such operations.

The other reason is I already have Caps Lock mapped to Fn on my Poker for arrow key use with WASD ;)

Edit: 'my right thumb' -> 'my left thumb'

« Last Edit: Wed, 13 December 2017, 02:05:18 by Coreda »

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 15:03:55 »
The answer is ErgoDox, obviously.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 15:36:46 »
SWITCHING TO MAC IS THE STUPIDEST THING YOU COULD HAVE DONE. APPLE IS THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD, AND ITS COMPUTERS AND OPERATING SYSTEMS ARE ABSOLUTE PIECES OF GARBAGE MADE BY SLAVES IN ASIA. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR SWITCHING TO SUCH A DISGUSTING OPERATING SYSTEM. GO BACK TO WINDOWS OR LINUX NOW! WINDOWS 98 IS YOUR BEST CHOICE, BUT THERE ARE MANY MORE OUT THERE. THERE IS NO NEED IN THE WORLD TO EVER PAY MONEY FOR CRAPPLE PRODUCTS. APPLE IS AN EMBARRASSMENT NOT ONLY TO AMERICA, BUT TO THE REST OF THE WORLD AND THE SOLAR SYSTEM AS WELL.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline jerue

• (Whenever that happens :P)
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 12 December 2017, 21:36:47 »
SWITCHING TO MAC IS THE STUPIDEST THING YOU COULD HAVE DONE. APPLE IS THE WORST COMPANY IN THE WORLD, AND ITS COMPUTERS AND OPERATING SYSTEMS ARE ABSOLUTE PIECES OF GARBAGE MADE BY SLAVES IN ASIA. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF YOURSELF FOR SWITCHING TO SUCH A DISGUSTING OPERATING SYSTEM. GO BACK TO WINDOWS OR LINUX NOW! WINDOWS 98 IS YOUR BEST CHOICE, BUT THERE ARE MANY MORE OUT THERE. THERE IS NO NEED IN THE WORLD TO EVER PAY MONEY FOR CRAPPLE PRODUCTS. APPLE IS AN EMBARRASSMENT NOT ONLY TO AMERICA, BUT TO THE REST OF THE WORLD AND THE SOLAR SYSTEM AS WELL.

I am so glad you are back

ctr+alt+del = best decision on world

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 01:38:03 »

Two main reasons. It stretches my fingers almost as much as Ctrl's original position when reaching from my little finger on the Caps Lock and the index finger on the C and V keys, particularly the latter. Maybe some use their thumb instead though it would be tricky to avoid hitting the spacebar.

Whereas using the key directly left of the spacebar as Ctrl (or Cmd on the Mac) means I only have to slightly shift my right thumb inward (to the left) from its position over the spacebar which for me is more comfortable for such operations.

The other reason is I already have Caps Lock mapped to Fn on my Poker for arrow key use with WASD ;)

@Coreda The keyboard is from lofree, I found them on crowdfunding platform b4, and this is a keyboard they池e crowdfunding now.

My fingers are not that big, thats why I prefer to press the cmd key next to spacebar which means i don稚 need to move my finger too far away.

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 01:40:57 »
I've heard about this keyboard and a major problem is it has even MORE stagger than the standard typewriter layout. Look at the paths your left hand fingers take

I know, I also take a while to get used of it, but you know, the appearance is too amazing  :p

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 01:43:05 »

I am so glad you are back

ctr+alt+del = best decision on world

Actually, I also like this function from Windows

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 02:17:30 »
Wait, APPLE is an embarrassment to America, but TRUMP isn't?! :p
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline sandy1995

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 03:02:50 »
I see what you mean, and know quite a few people in the same boat, but you're further sucking yourself into the apple ecosystem. First macbook, then iphone, followed by all of your data in their 'cloud', and then your keyboard and shortcuts ALL geared to Apple.

Part of me sees the appeal, part of me fears it.

Cool keyboard though. Novel as all hell.  :)

I think we also living in Google world currently, and I am afraid of the Boston dynamic dog :)

I like a sentence from lofree which is nostalgic en vogue, so cool :cool: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/four-seasons-a-colorful-retro-mechanical-keyboard/

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 04:53:20 »

TRUMP ISN'T NEARLY THE EMBARRASSMENT THAT OBAMA WAS. AND PLUS, APPLE PRODUCTS ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID. JUST USE WINDOWS AND GET OVER IT!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 07:53:44 »

TRUMP ISN'T NEARLY THE EMBARRASSMENT THAT OBAMA WAS. AND PLUS, APPLE PRODUCTS ARE JUST PLAIN STUPID. JUST USE WINDOWS AND GET OVER IT!
I agree with you about the whole Apple and Windows thing, but in what way was Obama embarrassing?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 13:50:17 »

I agree with you about the whole Apple and Windows thing, but in what way was Obama embarrassing?

HE DIDN'T USE WINDOWS 98.

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 13:54:29 »
HE DIDN'T USE WINDOWS 98.

:)) :))