Author Topic: Mouse wheel for volume control with teensy.  (Read 1634 times)

Offline DonnyD

Mouse wheel for volume control with teensy.
« on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 01:34:36 »
I have seen people making DIY mouses with teensy and using mouse wheel. If they can program it for scrolling, i am sure i can program it for volume control. My idea is to put it near the Spacebar on the side, so it will be easily accessible with thumb.
Please share your ideas, opinions or experiences with mouse wheel encoders. Maybe you have suggestions where and what kind i should get ?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Mouse wheel for volume control with teensy.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 03:49:10 »
Mouse wheels use rotary encoders, no mouse manufacturer is going to say which one they use so you'll have to do a bit of reverse engineering to work out the signaling unless you're lucky and can read the writing on the encoder itself.  You could buy a separate encoder so you know what the signaling is but then you'd need to find a nice rubbery wheel so a dead mouse seems like the way to go...

There are keycodes for 'wheel up/down' in tmk/qmk so it will be a matter of writing something like this for your encoder.

Good luck :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline DonnyD

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 03:54:59 »
I was thinking of buying encider and makinh wheel myself from wood or smth, but encoders are too high. My keyboard will be no more than 13 mm high, and i want to scroll side to side, so mouse wheel encoders low profile would help. As my keyboard wouldnt be wider than keycaps, i am pretty restricted in terms of space, dimensions.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 June 2018, 04:28:52 »
The official naming for small ones is 'miniature', I would suggest some places to look but don't know any where you are.  In the UK I've found cheap ones made by Bourns and expensive ones by Grayhill, might help with your searching?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod