Author Topic: graphics card upgrade  (Read 24250 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: graphics card upgrade
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 20 January 2019, 21:12:10 »
If you're okay with purchasing used graphics card, it would be worthwhile to check out reddit.com/r/hardwareswap. If you want to know the usage/history of the graphics card, serious sellers will give you that information and let you know if the card is still under warranty (most should be).

I recently purchased a GTX 1060 for almost half its original price and put it in my fiance's setup (he was using a gtx660ti). He's been getting a lot more fps  :cool: and has had no issues with it

I'd probably end up getting a used one anyway.  Not sure about reddit though.

At the moment this project is on hold due to an urgent house move.

Nah.. Get one of them Used 1070 for ~ $250 ish...  Get the one with the Big coolers,  Skip the small ones.

Offline Maxyol

• “A small rock holds back a great wave”. Homer
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 17:50:43 »
I live in Brisbane and it just got a 2gb 750 ti gigabyte great card but you gotta upgrade the psu

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 20:05:13 »
I live in Brisbane and it just got a 2gb 750 ti gigabyte great card but you gotta upgrade the psu

Yeah, I know.  I guessed that originally.  Still lacking funds at the moment.

And space to setup this second PC too - there is barely enough space for my main PC.

And my big desk was a casualty of the moving process - they stacked too many boxes on it and broke the top.  So I am on my smaller desk.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #103 on: Sat, 18 May 2019, 14:32:55 »
1070 is great for the value. Btw im sending this from a fire tv stick.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 18:26:17 »
My 970's(or one of them anyway) are starting to go bad, got a few BSOD's recently and they are getting super hot lately. I've no money so I'll be completely screwed when they go :(

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 19 May 2019, 22:00:20 »
This project is still on hold, unfortunately.

I'm even trying to save up $20 a month or something, but that plan is not working 100% either.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #106 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 08:03:29 »
My 970's(or one of them anyway) are starting to go bad, got a few BSOD's recently and they are getting super hot lately. I've no money so I'll be completely screwed when they go :(

Have you given them a service?  Shoo the dust bunnies, oil the fans and fresh tim?
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 31 May 2019, 15:06:51 »

I'm even trying to save up $20 a month or something, but that plan is not working 100% either.

Yep, i see it. We all have that problem.

AMD announced their budget graphics cards (I think 5500x or something) and they perform similar to a 2070. Once you save up the money, i suggest checking it out Rowdy.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 21:57:18 »

Yep, i see it. We all have that problem.

AMD announced their budget graphics cards (I think 5500x or something) and they perform similar to a 2070. Once you save up the money, i suggest checking it out Rowdy.

The way things are going, by the time I've saved up enough money I will have to start another thread :))

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 04 June 2019, 22:22:05 »

The way things are going, by the time I've saved up enough money I will have to start another thread :))

m0ar ramen eaten = m0ar GPU p0wr.   Start your Ramen savings plan today

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 21:50:50 »

m0ar ramen eaten = m0ar GPU p0wr.   Start your Ramen savings plan today

Rowdy has a family to feed too.  Ramen is not the most practical choice for everyone.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 22:12:47 »

Rowdy has a family to feed too.  Ramen is not the most practical choice for everyone.

Show them the origin of Grit

Without reference, modern humans live insulated from any true-hardship. They never have any opportunity to experience the despair their wasteful choices exert on the aching backs of the proletariat-class.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 22:38:01 »

Show them the origin of Grit

Without reference, modern humans live insulated from any true-hardship. They never have any opportunity to experience the despair their wasteful choices exert on the aching backs of the proletariat-class.

Fact: flash fried dried noodles have been around since flat bread.  As far as hardship, one only needs to go to school or enter the 'work force' to see and taste grit.

Besides, TRUE grit can make due without a GTX XXXX because TRUE grit could give two f's about what GPU they've got  No one wants to be TRUE grit.. that's just boring.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 23:01:39 »

Fact: flash fried dried noodles have been around since flat bread.  As far as hardship, one only needs to go to school or enter the 'work force' to see and taste grit.

Besides, TRUE grit can make due without a GTX XXXX because TRUE grit could give two f's about what GPU they've got  No one wants to be TRUE grit.. that's just boring.

There's a difference between  a 1st world  kid taking a break from cafeteria lunch plan by making ramen,   and a Proletariat where Ramen is the ONLY affordable meal.

Tp4 does not have all the answers, merely attempting to portray the larger contrast at play.

1080ti is not a must have,  but it's among the most useful devices.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 05 June 2019, 23:26:47 »

There's a difference between  a 1st world  kid taking a break from cafeteria lunch plan by making ramen,   and a Proletariat where Ramen is the ONLY affordable meal.

Tp4 does not have all the answers, merely attempting to portray the larger contrast at play.

1080ti is not a must have,  but it's among the most useful devices.

The only reason I said anything was because I was raised by survivor's guilt.  btw, how does one heat up and de-hydrate ramen in a cafeteria?  My 7-18 yr old bag lunch self wants to know.

Heck, want to see ruthless?  Want to see a persistent unrelenting 24/7 work ethic?  Watch the nature channel.  One can do that in 1080p 60fps even with a 1050ti.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 06 June 2019, 21:48:35 »
... all I wanted to do was play a few old games ...