Author Topic: caps with control code mnemonics?  (Read 3361 times)

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
caps with control code mnemonics?
« on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 18:20:16 »
I just saw this keyboard over on ebay today: (also attached because ebay will purge the image at some point).

Has anyone ever done a keycap set with all the control code mnemonics on the A-Z keys?

The colors on this one are boring, but I do like the idea of the ASCII control code mnemonics on the keys.

Other things to think about:
Should @ (Ctrl+@) be marked NUL?
Should [ (Ctrl+[) be marked ESC?
Should \ (Ctrl+\) be marked FS?
Should ] (Ctrl+]) be marked GS?
Should ^ (Ctrl+^) be marked RS?
Should _ (Ctrl+_) be marked US?

Since those keys already have some sort of shifted marking, how would you mark both?

Offline WheresTheSNES

Re: caps with control code mnemonics?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 18:22:42 »

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 18:33:04 »
Looks like KBD Fans actually has them in stock right now, if you're interested.

https://kbdfans.cn/products/pbt-sa-control-code-keycaps-set

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:41:25 »
Oh sweet.  I would prefer control code markings on all the alphabetic keys, e.g. BS on H, but this isn't bad.  I'll prolly snatch one up.  Thanks for the links!

Offline legalize

• Terminals Wiki
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 10:42:34 »
So when it says dye-sub it means the keycap legends are printed and not double-shot molded, right?  I guess that explains the cheap price :)

Offline WheresTheSNES

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 13:04:39 »
Yeah that means it's not double shot.  I'm not super familiar with the process, but I gather it's better / longer lasting than laser etched.

Offline mounds

• Builder of things and stuff
    • The Mounds Abides
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 07:16:35 »
So when it says dye-sub it means the keycap legends are printed and not double-shot molded, right?  I guess that explains the cheap price :)

Not printed, but dyed in the PBT itself, making the legends nearly indestructible to wear. Dye-sub quality only suffers mainly due to clarity of the font, though on my dev/tty round one, I don't really notice shoddy font work that was reported all that much (r2 sharpened fonts a bit). 

Double-shot and dye-sub are on par in my book, but double shot does take two runs on the machine so they're usually more expensive. Dye-sub has manufacturing limitations which is why double shot has risen to it's fame.
Tada68 (Jailhouse Aristotles) / MiniVan (Jailhouse Aristotles) / Planck (Aristotles) / Teensy m0116 (Matias QC) / ALPS64 ('Pine' SKCM White) / Teensy NeXT Non-ADB (SKCM Cream) / ALPS HHKB (SKCM Orange)