Author Topic: Is it possible to swap an IBM Bigfoot cable with a coiled F XT one?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Wazrach

• Buckling Spring Fanatic
I'm just wondering if this would be possible, as I am considering buying an IBM Model F 5291 "Bigfoot", but I don't want to disassemble the plates and risk ruining the key feel. Could I simply swap the cables and use the XT cable in the Bigfoot case? Thanks in advance.

Offline SilenceGoo

Re: Is it possible to swap an IBM Bigfoot cable with a coiled F XT one?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 20:06:33 »
seems good idea.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 23 October 2018, 07:40:06 »
I have never had a bigfoot, but I thought that they used a different protocol.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline JP

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 26 October 2018, 12:39:42 »
You would need a pcb from an XT or even better just convert it to USB using a Teensy. Once converted to USB you could likely find a coiled USB cable to get a similar look as an XT cable.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline orihalcon

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 22:47:14 »
My thought has always been just to put the complete XT guts inside the bigfoot case. I've not actually done this myself, but guessing its possible.  Just putting an XT PCB in should certainly be possible, but also haven't done that myself either.  Problem is that I don't have a bigfoot readily available to mess around with lol.