Author Topic: [IC] Custom Pigment To Match Keycap Sets  (Read 1983 times)

Offline KeLorean

[IC] Custom Pigment To Match Keycap Sets
« on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 12:06:40 »
If you are in the artisan maker community, either making sculpted caps or blanks, then you have probably spent a considerable amount of time trying to match keycap colors. I know I have, and that is why I have been talking with a very reputable urethane resin manufacturer about the possibility that they could match pigment for a urethane resin based on samples that I provide them. They actually didn't hesitate to say they would be willing, depending on the volume of my order. So, please consider this interest check.
The Benefits:
-save time trying to match colors
-get professional color matching results
-possibly save money on pigment
-bring the community of makers together so all of our artisans look more coherent
...therefore, please answer the questions on this form with these benefits in mind.
The assumption is that they would make pigments to match our samples for Smooth-On's Smooth Cast 325, 326, and 327 urethane resins based on the directions described in their documentation. Thank you for your time. -KeLorean
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdWVdpS1xKo_GNiGsDKRCFo09KyOTcKvrIp-JkCCcaTvEM2Hg/viewform?usp=sf_link
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline TheGlyph

Re: [IC] Custom Pigment To Match Keycap Sets
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 November 2018, 12:23:53 »
Definitely interested, though I'm somewhat picky about pigment quality and would want to chat about some specifics before purchasing!
Instagram @GlennTheBlack
Discord TheGlyph#8458

Offline keylabskeycaps

• KeyLabs Artisans
    • keyLabsKeycaps
Re: [IC] Custom Pigment To Match Keycap Sets
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 23:51:04 »
Although this is a really great idea, investing in a few colors of 2 oz bottles is tough for me. My process involves typically making a colorway that I think looks really great and then only running a single batch of caps in that colorway over several sculpts that I don't really revisit at latter dates. As nice as it would be to have an exact match for carbon orange or something like that premade, I don't know how much I would actually use that single color. But again, this is just my process here.

I don't know whether or not this is even viable, but a dream kit for me would be a set of like 20 or more colors in really small amounts, like half ounces that I could mix further but have a solid range of colors to just run with already. 2 ounces on my end would last forever.

Hopefully that was at least a bit helpful, I'll for sure check back and see how this unfolds.