Author Topic: What is the best OS?  (Read 73084 times)

Offline pitashen

What is the best OS?
« Reply #450 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 04:23:30 »
Quote from: fossala;454619
Because they are not the programs you are used to does not mean linux or bsd doesn't have any programs. Just look and Debian's and FreeBSD's repo size. I have used Linux or BSD on the desktop for my whole family and we all get on fine. As far as hardware goes I have yet to have a piece that doesn't work on Linux (I did have a hard drive caddy that didn't like FreeBSD).

Looks like you are using OS X, how does it feel to be ****** in the *** by a company that cares more about taking things from you than providing you with a secure service?

No harsh feelings there. I am just analyzing some difficulties linux have in practice that have been preventing it from going more wide spread than Linus and the community had hoped for.

I have a friend who was a ubuntu fan. Since he isn't a linux guru, he eventually got too lazy to deal with it when he was setting up a new rig and figured he wants to play SC2 and decided to stick with Win7 for the time being. Lunix is good or even better than others as an OS itself, but there are some cruel realities preventing it from being more popular.

I personally wouldn't mind using it given that I will have enough time to learn it, which I don't anymore. I kinda hope to maybe set one up at some point for doing online banking and financing purpose.

I use OSX but I spent a lot of time doing hacking and tweaking to get it work perfectly on non-apple hardware (not quite a smart move). I use illegal copy of Win7 mainly because I still game fair amount and Win7 is quite good if you don't consider which company it came from.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 November 2011, 04:43:07 by pitashen »
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

fossala

What is the best OS?
« Reply #451 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 04:27:16 »
I used to use a hackintosh, it was what got me into unix-like operating systems.

Offline iindigo

What is the best OS?
« Reply #452 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 10:54:23 »
I agree regarding Linux... Lack of Photoshop, Illustrator, etc keeps Linux distributions from being a real possibility when it comes to being my main OS. Yeah I know, Linux has GIMP, Inkscape, etc, etc, blah blah blah. However, they aren't real alternatives to their commercial counterparts yet... not only are they missing features, but their interfaces were quite obviously designed by programmers and not UI designers, which means less-than-ideal usability.

Which leads me to my next point and my next major beef about Linux: nobody seems to agree on a single good set of standards for designing Linux software UIs. EVERYBODY does their own thing which leads to inconsistencies from one application to another (for instance, Ctrl-C is highly standardized to perform the action "Copy", right? NOPE! In some programs, it's Alt-C!). This is worsened by the plethora of different UI libraries used. The result is a horribly amateur looking patchwork of programs that would drive UI designers and less technically-inclined users absolutely insane. Hell, it's frustrating to me and I've been using computers of several different platforms for 15 years now.

And while I personally don't mind commandline use (I use the terminal all the time on OS X), it's something that scares normal users. To them, it's something they've seen in all those terrible computer movies, usually used by "hackers". It's an strange and arcane being that they're now being told to use if they want to install a driver or fix some problem and it's intimidating.

All of these factors handicap Linux's growth in the desktop market. The day that its software gains commercial-grade capabilities, its software gets consistent as possible with clean, sensible, usable UIs,  and commandline use becomes entirely unnecessary (but still present if called for) for any and all common tasks is the day it will start gaining major traction with everyday normal users.

fossala

What is the best OS?
« Reply #453 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 10:58:12 »
Quote from: iindigo;454822
nobody seems to agree on a single good set of standards for designing Linux software UIs. EVERYBODY does their own thing which leads to inconsistencies from one application to another

Have you seen windows? At least all gtk applications look the same and most qt applications look the same.

fossala

What is the best OS?
« Reply #454 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:03:25 »
I have used linux and *BSD on the desktop for years. I wouldn't use anything else (maybe openindiana).
EDIT: Oh also Haiku.

Offline iindigo

What is the best OS?
« Reply #455 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:04:24 »
Quote from: fossala;454827
Have you seen windows? At least all gtk applications look the same and most qt applications look the same.

Yeah, Windows is pretty bad in this regard too. It's one of the reasons I don't use it. At the very least, however, most Windows applications use the same native UI libraries and certain things (like Cut, Copy, Paste, etc) just don't change and are the same across all applications.

Quote from: ripster;454828
Linux is still around?

I knew it was on servers but desktops?

Reminds me.  I wonder if a Chromebook will be worth it as a rarity type Antiques Roadshow investment?
Show Image

Yep, it's still alive and kicking, struggling to become popular with desktop users. The main distribution aimed at desktop users is Ubuntu, but others including SuSe, Fedora, ElementaryOS, Linux Mint, and many others are also marketed for desktop use.

fossala

What is the best OS?
« Reply #456 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:05:26 »
Elementary OS and Linux mint are just customized Ubuntu.

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
What is the best OS?
« Reply #457 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:08:50 »
I use Funtoo Linux for home and work. I wouldn't say it's the best, but it's the best for me.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline iindigo

What is the best OS?
« Reply #458 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:08:54 »
Quote from: fossala;454834
Elementary OS and Linux mint are just customized Ubuntu.

ElementaryOS's next release is coming with a custom-developed desktop environment and Linux Mint also has a Debian-based build, so they're a little more than Ubuntu customizations.

fossala

What is the best OS?
« Reply #459 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 11:10:52 »
Linux mints main os is still ubuntu based. And elementary os has slingshot and plank (I think that is what it is called) not a whole desktop and they still start with an ubuntu base.

Offline flyball

What is the best OS?
« Reply #460 on: Fri, 18 November 2011, 12:59:07 »
Quote from: iindigo;454839
ElementaryOS's next release is coming with a custom-developed desktop environment
until it gets backported to ubuntu, and then it's just another kubuntu/xubuntu
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
Re: What is the best OS?
« Reply #461 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 14:11:07 »
N-N-N-NEEEEEECRO!

I've been using Ubuntu with ratpoison a bit as of late, and it;s pretty awesome. Much faster than windows, tiling, ect,.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #462 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 16:59:00 »
Why such a necrobump?  And how did you find such an old thread?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #463 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 17:04:03 »

I was hoping to start a flamewar.

I don't even remember lol.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #464 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:39:10 »

I was hoping to start a flamewar.

I don't even remember lol.

Fail.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #465 on: Wed, 14 August 2013, 19:48:17 »
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #466 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:02:33 »
BeOS :D

no longer :(
KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #467 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:08:52 »

Offline tipo33

• "Ski"
« Reply #468 on: Thu, 15 August 2013, 01:12:36 »
BeOS :D

no longer :(

Haiku!

The closest we will get I guess.
Zeta was a failure....

KM4COL    R.I.P.  SmallFry

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #469 on: Wed, 13 December 2017, 18:21:56 »
WINDOWS
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS