Author Topic: Is this a real Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0?  (Read 19806 times)

Offline bckai

Is this a real Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0?
« on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:19:58 »
I'm thinking about getting a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer from Ebay. I need a new mouse with a soft click as I've developed repetitive strain injury in my fingers from clicking my Logitech G9x too much (I hate you Diablo II).

As everyone knows, the IME 3.0 has been discontinued and after sniffing around ebay I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mouse-Grey-OF-Genuine-Microsoft-IntelliMouse-Explorer-3-0-Optical-EXCELLENT-/170915768917?pt=Mice&hash=item27cb5faa55

But I'm wary of it being fake.  There are posts around the internet talking about how the Chinese have made knockoffs, but no one has said anything about being able to tell the difference.

Does anyone know if there's a foolproof way of distinguishing, and/or if that particular one is a fake?

Offline Tym

• [CTRL]ALT
  • * Maker
Re: Is this a real Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 12:22:41 »
I don't know how to tell, but if you can tell from holding it then buy it, because if it has "Genuine" in the title and it is a fake then you can always get a refund! Good Luck man!
unless they have some unforeseeable downside (like they're actually made of cream cheese cunningly disguised as ABS)

Offline link_tree

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 22:15:24 »
even if it isn't real it looks to be pretty solid from the image and good knockoff so I don't think it should have a problem but for a similar price you could get the logitech g400. I recently purchased one and I am really loving it so far so I have no problem recommending it.

Offline bckai

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 18 January 2013, 22:45:35 »
Yeah, from what I can tell, it seems to be real. I actually did just go out and buy the Logitech g400. I really love it, but I like the IME 3.0's grip just a big better.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 04:38:21 »
I have an intellimouse 2.0 here.  I noticed it has a hologram sticker with, I think, "Microsoft" printed many times across it.  The sticker is located above the optical sensor, in fact almost between the two rubber feet at the cable end of the underneath of the mouse.

I would imagine this would be about as close as you could get to determining authenticity, but the auction pictures do not show that part of the underneath.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:47:39 »
I'm thinking about getting a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer from Ebay. I need a new mouse with a soft click as I've developed repetitive strain injury in my fingers from clicking my Logitech G9x too much (I hate you Diablo II).

As everyone knows, the IME 3.0 has been discontinued and after sniffing around ebay I found this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Mouse-Grey-OF-Genuine-Microsoft-IntelliMouse-Explorer-3-0-Optical-EXCELLENT-/170915768917?pt=Mice&hash=item27cb5faa55

But I'm wary of it being fake.  There are posts around the internet talking about how the Chinese have made knockoffs, but no one has said anything about being able to tell the difference.

Does anyone know if there's a foolproof way of distinguishing, and/or if that particular one is a fake?

ahhh the good old days of Diablo II, sorry to hear about your hand =/ But to answer your question see if you can get into contact with the seller to see a picture of the bottom side of the mouse, the microsoft sticker should give it away
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline nullstring

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 16:50:52 »
have these been faked?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 18:10:41 »
If you want that type of click, you could replace switch yourself in your G9x or whatever with omron d2f-01f-t (what is in the IME) if you wanted should only cost like $3-5 for a couple switch.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 19:16:10 »
I'm pretty sure these haven't been faked. It looks legit, as the re-issues came in that kind of dark gray color, not the original silver IE 3.0 finish.

The re-issues also came in a limited white finish run, too.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 21:35:30 »
What about those IM1.0? I see a lot of those new.
SmallFry! <3

Offline zulios

« Reply #10 on: Sun, 20 January 2013, 12:11:54 »
The listing says :
"100% manufacturer compatible. Equivalent Replacement Part
Compatible model: Microsoft IntelliMouse Explorer 3.0 Optical Mouse Grey As photo",
so I guess that's a fake presented as equivalent to an intellimouse. They show the photo of a true intellimouse but not of the actual product you are going to get.

Tipro matrix - mx black

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 01:16:34 »
I hate it when they do that!
SmallFry! <3

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 21 January 2013, 15:52:53 »
Fancy. I think the steelseries one looks pretty cool. If youve seen that.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 23 January 2013, 15:21:52 »
just (your?) risk 4us? neat name he has

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:27:50 »
Sorry, just noticed. First one listed? It's absolutely fake. Counterfeit without a question.

I have an IM3.0 in the other room. The IM3.0's serial number band has an embedded holograph which photographs as glare. Think Windows COA and you've got it. There's no holo band on the auction one.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.