Author Topic: Steelseries Sensei...worth it?  (Read 87221 times)

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
Steelseries Sensei...worth it?
« on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 18:11:58 »
So although it's like 90$ I need some feedback from people that have them since I know it's supposedly just like a xai with allot of lights.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #1 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:17:39 »
Depends on what you're looking for in a mouse.  But in all scenarios that price is never worth it.  If you have the money/budget for it, and you really have your heart set on it, then it's "worth it".

You'd want to find out about your hand style, swipe style, what you want in a sensor, your pad preference, button locations, and also dpi requirements, then you can narrow it down.  If you want a sensei like mouse but less money, there are tones of avg 9500 based mouse out there.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:39:44 »
Mostly due to gaming I have this on my wrist.

I also use a modified claw grip and with 500-800 dpi.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:43:11 by Lmnr »
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:41:46 »
If you're unsure of what mouse you want I'd recommend the Razer Deathadder, It's got like one of the best rep's and it's only 2/3 the price of the sensei.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 21:47:12 »
Imho I always thought of razer products as the Alienware of computers.
Peripherals:

Offline RenoFox

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 22:06:38 »
Look around for reviews on the Deathadder, sure you might not think the most of their company but that 1 mice in particular is awesome.

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 22:17:34 »
Quote from: Lmnr;447760
Mostly due to gaming I have this on my wrist.
Show Image

I also use a modified claw grip and with 500-800 dpi.

Yup.  I have that too, on hard pad.  Thus Sensei and other 9500 based mouse aren't for you.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 November 2011, 22:23:13 »
Im using a sidewinder x3
http://www.tweaknews.net/reviews/microsoft_sidewinder_x3_gaming_mouse/img/1.JPG
But mostly I got it from using no mat but now I do and its wearing out a little bit.
Peripherals:

Offline zareliman

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 20:00:06 »
Sensei is a highly overpriced mouse with useless utilities. It also has tracking problems on white surface, aside from the well known avago 9500 negative acceleration on cloth pads.

If you like that sensor (or high dpi) I'd suggest the G500, by far one of the best mice I've ever tried.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 20:17:38 »
What about the xai cause the g500 is pretty much the same price.
Peripherals:

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 08 November 2011, 23:20:30 »
Sensei is the xai, 1.5 with lights.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 00:13:04 »
If your going to use the extra features that the xai offers get it. If your not going to use the features its just a pretty Xai. I switched to track balls for a long time after my Ikari Laser died but The G700 has brought me back to mice as it is everything that I ever wanted in a mouse.

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 00:32:21 »
I suggest a Razer Deathadder or the new Zowie AM that is about to be released. Both of these mice run very similar sensors. The Razer runs a modified version of the Avago 3090 and the AM uses the 3090 if I am correct.

The Razer has had proven results as one of the best sensors in the market, but suffers from a high LOD (Lift-Off Distance) and some complain about the build quality.

The Zowie has yet to be released, but theoretically, it should turn out to be one of the best, if not the best mouse on the market.

The Sensei is a gimmick. I once thought that the shell, lights, features, etc would justify the cost, but it also had sensor issues like acceleration. Then I thought to myself, "Why makes compromises with the mouse if I have to pay more?"

In my opinion grab yourself a Razer Deathadder Black Edition with an Artisan Hayate, and you'll be set.

Offline zareliman

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 17:15:18 »
Quote from: Greenbean;448394
I suggest a Razer Deathadder or the new Zowie AM that is about to be released. Both of these mice run very similar sensors. The Razer runs a modified version of the Avago 3090 and the AM uses the 3090 if I am correct.

The Razer has had proven results as one of the best sensors in the market, but suffers from a high LOD (Lift-Off Distance) and some complain about the build quality.

The Zowie has yet to be released, but theoretically, it should turn out to be one of the best, if not the best mouse on the market.

The Sensei is a gimmick. I once thought that the shell, lights, features, etc would justify the cost, but it also had sensor issues like acceleration. Then I thought to myself, "Why makes compromises with the mouse if I have to pay more?"

In my opinion grab yourself a Razer Deathadder Black Edition with an Artisan Hayate, and you'll be set.

Simply not true.
Razer doesn't produce any mice with the Avago 3090, their led sensors are modifications of the 3050. The 3090 seems to be newer than their latest led based mice (I say led instead of what most people call "optical" since both laser and led are optical). All the available mice using that sensor have serious issues:
- Puretrak Valor: Poor construction, multiple firmware issues, etc...
- CMstorm Spawn: Firmware issues (jittering at some CPI settings, etc)
The Avago 3090 was promising on theory, but on the practice is a pain in the arse, mainly because it has incredibly high Lift-off-distance and to correct that you have to mess with lenses and firmware. Lets see how does the Zowie AM or the TTesports Saphire behave.

Besides that, both the Abyssus and DeathAdder have 0 accel. sensors, no prediction and pretty flawless tracking (better than laser mice on cloth). Shame that LED based sensors cap at 3500 CPI.

Offline iindigo

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:03:02 »
Having used a Razer Deathadder in the past, I appreciate its quality of tracking but their its quality really does suck. It feels cheap, light, and poorly built - even a cheap $15 Logitech mouse provides a better feel. It's really underwhelming considering how much the Deathadder costs and for the same price range, I greatly prefer the solid, hefty feel of Logitech's G500.
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:07:13 by iindigo »

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:26:54 »
So does anyone know if the steelseries laser mouses still have acceleration? if so then I was thinking of the razer imperator, the g500 right now is a little too much.
Peripherals:

Offline sinis

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:30:43 »
From what I read the upcoming Zowie AM is very promising. The sensai was discussed as not worth it but people should buy a Zowie EC1 or EC2. I am not a mouse scientist though.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 18:39:08 »
Hmm but I just don't want to waste money on a mouse that has unturnable acceleration that makes gaming a pain. I've had the Ikari and it sucked due to the fact that when I twiched certain ways it would accelerate way too much but ill look into it. I've never heard of Zowie due to it being a mostly european company. It looks very simple....(thats a good thing :])

This is what I mean:
[video=youtube;P9O4h2OP1DI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9O4h2OP1DI[/video]
Peripherals:

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 19:16:40 »
Quote from: zareliman;448808
Simply not true.
Razer doesn't produce any mice with the Avago 3090, their led sensors are modifications of the 3050.

I apologize for my mistake, as I don't quite remember the model numbers of mouse sensors. It was something amongst those lines...

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 22:26:20 »
So are they gonna create the Zowie Am with the ADNS-3090 sensor or even better?
Peripherals:

Offline DoctorSnoopy

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 23:00:15 »
Weight of the mouse should also be considered and to the OP, Steelseries occasionally/often has 30-40% discounts on all products which drops the Sensei's price down a lot; mice and keyboards usually go OOS when this happens.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 23:19:17 »
I saw the recent blizz2k11 code and I was close to getting a 7g but I backed out idk why and when i saw that only the crappy mouses were left over I let it go.
Peripherals:

Offline Lethal Squirrel

• I <3 60%
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 23:40:22 »
I have a Steelseries Ikari laser, and I freakin love it. Is the perfect mouse for me. I say get the Sensei! you could even consider the Ikari Laser.
I agree with what you said about razer too btw.

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 02:20:38 »
Quote from: zareliman;448808
Simply not true.
Razer doesn't produce any mice with the Avago 3090, their led sensors are modifications of the 3050. The 3090 seems to be newer than their latest led based mice (I say led instead of what most people call "optical" since both laser and led are optical).

Simply not not true. :D

The S3888 in the DA 3500DPI and Abyssus is based on the A3090 (you could also say it's the other way around because the S3888 was used first), the A3090 is basically the publicaly available version.
The A3050 is a totally different sensor.

Quote from: Lmnr;448848
So does anyone know if the steelseries laser mouses still have acceleration? if so then I was thinking of the razer imperator, the g500 right now is a little too much.

The accel. problem is a general issue of the A9500, the Sensei isn't different in that way, same goes for the G500.
Maybe it will be at least lowered in the upcoming ADNS-9800.

I got a Sensei yesterday, haven't had time to compare it to the Xai yet (as a Xai User I wouldn't have spent money on the Sensei).

Personally the small pos. accel. of the Xai never bothered me.
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline shogrran

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 03:11:30 »
Hi, I just got mine today. And I agree with one other poster in this thread. If you really want it, the looks, features, lights then it is worth it.

I have a few comments on it and I hope I get to write a full review. Coming from a relatively simple mouse - the Razer Salmosa with relatively simple customization options and half the price I was kinda surprised.

1. The looks are definitely better. The smooth chrome finish is comfortable and easy to grip. The lights are fantastic the best looking bling lights I have ever seen on any computer peripheral to date. Its simplicity is a plus factor actually. But one thing they could have improved on is the chrome finish itself. Black or white is still the best colors imho. Its quite rare if you can find a build that fits well aesthetically with a sudden touch of chrome finish. My build is all black and though it doesn't look out of place, its the only chrome colored device I have connected to the pc. It looks good on its own that I can say.

2. Sidebuttons suck bigtime for me though. Maybe its because the mouse I previously used for almost four years doesn't have side buttons.  (im referring to the first version of the salmosa, not the new release which is a cheapo and smaller re-release) I'd say it was better if they had placed the side buttons a little offcentered from where you relax your thumb and ring finger because you can't help but accidentally press them! And they are so responsive that a minor movement of my thumb just accidentally presses them. Specially when you're using the on board menu, accidental press here and there.

3. I beg to disagree with their slogan saying its the most customizable mouse. I thought of a few things in my old razer that I can't seem to find yet in the s.s. engine. Like dynamically changing DPIwithout having to lift your mouse. You can only set it to two preset DPI per profile which you can switch with a button and if you wanted to adjust you have to lift the mouse up or use the engine. Considering the Sensei goes by its slogan - the world's most customizable mouse, you would expect that if it doesn't have close enough if not the same kind of feature, it has a substitute feature that works in the same way. The Razer has the on the fly sensitivity with on screen display even which I really like.

4. I wonder if its just because my mouse is new that the buttons are harder to press. Its crisp and tactile but I would definitely say it needs a bit more force to press than my salmosa or any other mouse I've used. Also in relation to this... the "pressing area" is quite small. I was expecting due to the shape of the mouse that it is going to be suited to my finger tip grip but I was wrong. Personally it would be best for palm grips. Because the area where you can actually press the two main buttons are just near the tip and gets harder as you move towards the middle of the mouse. Razer mice seem to have solved that and made a bigger responsive area.

5. Lastly, I have always wondered if looking at the underside of the mouse to use the onboard menu can ruin your eyes since the invisible laser might be shining straight into your eyes. I would have preferred on screen on the fly displays - the mouse has a processor and memory right? I hope a brilliant programmer can put this in a future update.

I have mentioned several comparisons with a Razer mouse but I am not saying that the Razer Salmosa is better overall. I am just pointing out a few good features of my old mouse that I really like and haven't found (or have not yet found the substitute) on the sensei.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2011, 03:40:08 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 04:32:20 »
Newer mouse don't mean they're better.  Many people are still had a hard time finding the right mouse to replace their 518 and DA before the 400 came out.

Quote from: Bullveyr;449137

The S3888 in the DA 3500DPI and Abyssus is based on the A3090 (you could also say it's the other way around because the S3888 was used first), the A3090 is basically the publicaly available version.

The accel. problem is a general issue of the A9500, the Sensei isn't different in that way, same goes for the G500.

I got a Sensei yesterday, haven't had time to compare it to the Xai yet (as a Xai User I wouldn't have spent money on the Sensei).

Yup.

Also, I've previous had the xai.  I've only recently bought the sensei.

If you want to get rid of that rug burn on your wrist, do not get a lazer mouse based on the 9500.  You'd be much more comfortable with a talent and a g400.  Better performance at low dpi as well.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 06:05:15 »
Quote from: flaming_june;449149
Newer mouse don't mean they're better.  Many people are still had a hard time finding the right mouse to replace their 518 and DA before the 400 came out.

Yup.

Also, I've previous had the xai.  I've only recently bought the sensei.

If you want to get rid of that rug burn on your wrist, do not get a lazer mouse based on the 9500.  You'd be much more comfortable with a talent and a g400.  Better performance at low dpi as well.

I never said it was a bad thing :]
But from what ive heard I recently tried a optical mouse and the accuracy on them is terrible for fast accurate moves. I know for a fact that the kinzu and the xai have acceleration but ive never seen it on a sensei.
Peripherals:

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 06:10:43 »
Not all optical mice are created equal...

Offline iindigo

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 08:46:39 »
Quote from: flaming_june;449149

Would just like to warn that while the G400 might still be an alright buy, don't expect it to have the longevity of the MX518. MX518s already had problems with their cords breaking/cracking/shorting after a year or two of use, and that is likely to be worse with the G400 - Logitech cheaped out when building the entire device, and its cord is no exception, being thinner than that of its predecessors. I've also read that the G400 has lost a significant amount of weight compared to the MX518, so if weight matters to you, that's also worth taking into consideration before purchasing this mouse.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 November 2011, 12:27:18 by iindigo »

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 09:31:32 »
So mx400 vs mx 518.. I mainly use my mouse on a Saitek Cyborg mousepad it's a hard surface yet my sidewinder x3 glides on it. Well im looking for smoothness of the mouse while use since I got a combo of 30$ for a sidewinder x6 and a sidewinder x8. Liked the keyboard but the mouse was terrible. I ended up going to a nearby microcenter and started to look for mouses.. ended up getting a steelseries ikari for a week then returned it due to its size and its acceleration. Then when I went back I got the x3 and its proved itself quite well since it's a basic mouse with decent gliding.
Peripherals:

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 12:12:47 »
mx400 is lazer.  the g400 is the replacement for mx518.  You've already said that you game at low dpi.  No need to look at 9500 based lazer mouses.

Offline zareliman

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 16:27:27 »

I thought the S3888 was based on the A3050 since it appeared a long time before the A3090 and the DA and the Abyssus don't have firmware issues as the new 3090 based mice... Is the 3090 also an infrared led sensor ?
It's weird that the rest of the companies can't get that sensor working while razer has pretty nice working mice based on an older version.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 18:11:06 »
So what sensor did zowie say that the am was going to have?
Peripherals:

Offline Greenbean

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 19:49:17 »

Ah, thank you Bullveyr. I knew my years lurking on OCN couldn't have failed me. :D

To OP: I believe thr Zowie AM uses the Avago 3090. The sensor is theoretically almost perfect, let's see if Zowie screws up something on their part.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 10 November 2011, 19:50:56 »
Hmm ok estimated price would be like 60-90$?
Peripherals:

Offline Bullveyr

« Reply #35 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 01:58:24 »
Quote from: zareliman;449544
I thought the S3888 was based on the A3050 since it appeared a long time before the A3090 and the DA and the Abyssus don't have firmware issues as the new 3090 based mice... Is the 3090 also an infrared led sensor ?
It's weird that the rest of the companies can't get that sensor working while razer has pretty nice working mice based on an older version.

It's not unusual that a sensor is exclusive to some manufacturer for some time and/or that there is a special version (special srom).
DA and Abyssus also so had some problems, jitter is solved (at least for the DA) but they still suffer from high LOD.
S3888 and A3090 most likely share the exact same hardware, it's just a different srom ("sensor software").

You can use the A3090 with an IR LED but it Relative Responsivity is highest with a red one

Quote from: Lmnr;449606
So what sensor did zowie say that the am was going to have?

A3090 with a custom lens. We'll have to see how that turns out, in general using a different lens is a tricky business.

Quote from: Lmnr;449666
Hmm ok estimated price would be like 60-90$?

MSRP is 60$
Quote from: ripster;185750
Mechanical switches are mechanical.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 10:03:21 »
So since its coming out in the middle of december for people in the us. Anyone wanna make a review of it for the people that get it in the beginning of the month?
Peripherals:

Offline pruik6

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 16:03:31 »
Just get the razer salmosa EU edition best mouse ever without useless prick and its 15 dollar very cheap in my opinion

Offline shogrran

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 18:31:54 »
@pruik6 the razer salmosa EU edition - is that the newer version of the salmosa that's extremely small with the thin and overly long cable? The old salmosa is good but I doubt that one.
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 11 November 2011, 19:29:16 »
So is the eu version just smaller and longer cable?
Peripherals:

Offline Skylit

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 01:16:14 »
Quote from: zareliman;449544

The 3090 was out almost an entire year prior to the 3050. If anything the S3888/S3668's architecture is more similar to the 3060/3080 than the 3050 which has a completely different and smaller pixel array. Both sensors are LED based, but Razer uses an IR light source instead of the traditional red LED.

Razer has their own proprietary firmware or SROM. Logitech/I-Rocks haven't had trouble squeezing performance out of the 3090(3095). Logitech has a custom lens tho.

Offline zareliman

« Reply #41 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 10:49:52 »
The Zowie AM advertises that the best way to reduce LOD and don't end up with messy firmwares is to use a custom lens (which is also a more difficult fix).

Quote from: Skylit;450426
The 3090 was out almost an entire year prior to the 3050. If anything the S3888/S3668's architecture is more similar to the 3060/3080 than the 3050 which has a completely different and smaller pixel array. Both sensors are LED based, but Razer uses an IR light source instead of the traditional red LED.

Razer has their own proprietary firmware or SROM. Logitech/I-Rocks haven't had trouble squeezing performance out of the 3090(3095). Logitech has a custom lens tho.

I was confusing the 3050 with the 3060, but that's what I actually tried to mean, the 3888 (DA 3.5G?) and the 3668 (Older DA 3G?) are not orthologues of the 3090.

I think you mean this I-rocks, http://www.i-rocks.com/Product_detail.aspx?CLASS_ID=1029&PRODUCT_ID=1246, How do you know they "squeezed out the performance" ? I haven't been able to find any opinions/reviews on the net (at least in a non-asian language).

What would be the Logitech mouse using the 3090 (or 3095 which I haven't heard of, but sounds like a custom SROM) ?

Offline shogrran

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 12:22:02 »
@All

I am still confused as to all these avago etcetc Axxx etc etc sensor stuff.

Can someone start explaining why an older sensor is better than a new sensor? Why would manufacturers of sensors make something that is less than the old sensors they are making. Why would mouse makers use a bad sensor for a new mouse?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline shogrran

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 12:48:55 »
@ripster

I am really getting confused and half pissed at some posts. I read some replies saying that some avago Axxx sensor on an old mouse is perfect and that its the best mouse blah blah. But then what made it different and better? I need answers to the same questions I asked earlier.

Why would manufacturers develop a newer sensor that sucks compared to the old one. I'm thinking it's like Intel creating i7 processors which perform less than a core2quad through and through. In my mind a manufacturer wont do that UNLESS they are developing off of a high end product and would like to market it to the non-enthusiast market like for example what they did to the Q6600, they developed several newer processors based on that but performed less so they can market it to mainstream. Even with that reasoning the architecture would still have an edge compared to the older version.

And it's not only on this thread. There are a lot of posts that I read from people who say bad things of a mouse BUT its obvious some of them haven't went out of their way to try a new mouse. e.g. someone saying the sensei is the same as the xai blah blah... (too obvious they havent even read the specs of the mouse).

When you say something sucks kindly explain why?
« Last Edit: Sat, 12 November 2011, 13:02:01 by shogrran »
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #44 on: Sat, 12 November 2011, 13:18:56 »
Quote from: shogrran;450583
@ripster

I am really getting confused and half pissed at some posts. I read some replies saying that some avago Axxx sensor on an old mouse is perfect and that its the best mouse blah blah. But then what made it different and better? I need answers to the same questions I asked earlier.

Why would manufacturers develop a newer sensor that sucks compared to the old one. I'm thinking it's like Intel creating i7 processors which perform less than a core2quad through and through. In my mind a manufacturer wont do that UNLESS they are developing off of a high end product and would like to market it to the non-enthusiast market like for example what they did to the Q6600, they developed several newer processors based on that but performed less so they can market it to mainstream. Even with that reasoning the architecture would still have an edge compared to the older version.

And it's not only on this thread. There are a lot of posts that I read from people who say bad things of a mouse BUT its obvious some of them haven't went out of their way to try a new mouse. e.g. someone saying the sensei is the same as the xai blah blah... (too obvious they havent even read the specs of the mouse).

I completely agree.
Peripherals:

Offline flaming_june

« Reply #45 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 03:30:45 »
Preferences I guess?

Why newer 9500 sucks compared to the old optical:
9500 isn't 1:1 tracking

So if you're okay with negative acceleration on cloth pad, and positive acceleration on hard pad, 9500 is for you.  Even if you decide to go for something like it, the sensei isn't "worth it" (other than the new lights and macro ability).

But then you still have to figure in how you hold your mouse, how heavy you like your mouse.
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2011, 03:33:25 by flaming_june »

Offline shogrran

« Reply #46 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 04:27:10 »
Sorry not starting a flame war here but this is a serious question: kindly explain the negative acceleration on cloth pad and positive on hard pad. I doubt the effects of acceleration due to factors of a different sensor affects the tracking as much as the difference in friction on cloth v.s. hard pads.

Isn't the ratio a personal preference pretty much like setting your own sensitivity?
Razer Blackwidow Elite
CMStorm Quickfire Rapid
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline RamaBot

« Reply #47 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 08:31:12 »
I personally thing that the Sensei is worth it if it is what you want.
You are going to be using it all of the time so it is worth paying the extra for something that you are happy with.
And after all there are mice out there that are more expensive.
I do think that the lights are just a gimmick and that the extreme interpolated DPI is probably overkill.
But at the same time if you like that stuff then why not.
It's like buying the best car in the world and then paying to pimp it up.
I have the XAI and think it is the most fantastic mouse that I have ever owned.
If I had to replace my Xai the I would buy another Xai. Unless it was unavailable hen I would buy a Sensei.

Offline Skylit

« Reply #48 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 10:30:49 »
Quote from: shogrran;450583
@ripster

Look at AMD and Bulldozer :D

I'll try to explain the best I can. (I'm pretty bad at explaining tho ;p)

Back in early 2003-2004 the first "gaming grade" mice were equipped with High Performance optical sensors. While Agilent (now Avago) only rated these sensors for 40 IPS (Inches per sec= Max tracking speed), both Logitech and Razer brought out proprietary and open source versions that were able to track well above the 40 IPS rating and thus improved over time. Anyway, Logitech somehow created the first unofficial laser sensor out of a proprietary version of the Agilent ADNS-2020 (Optical sensor). The following year (2005), Agilent creates proprietary laser sensors for both Logitech and Razer to use. The problem was that these sensors weren't any better than the last generation opticals and pretty much failed at tracking anywhere close to the speed of previous sensors put forth. In fact, the laser technology was so undeveloped that it had trouble tracking on a fair range of cloth pads at the time. The only benefit? a Higher CPI range. (1600>2000) It certainty didn't stop marketing tho. 2000 CPI + Laser branding pretty much made bank for both companies.

Anyway fast forward a couple years (2007), and another laser shows up. This one while much better than the last, is still inferior to the max tracking rates of certain optical gaming mice. Only benefit was an increase of CPI. (2000>3200) The marketing continued.

Couple years past again> (2009) Avago 9500 is released. This time the sensor is boasting a whooping 5040 CPI upon release (5700 Through a custom firmware) Although unlike the previous sensors, this one went through an evolutionary change. The architecture and design was improved. It was able to run at frame rates twice that of their own opticals. It had a factory rating of "up to 150 IPS".  Everything about it pretty much looked amazing on paper. Sadly, it was not without problems as there were gamers that got annoyed by the sensors tracking inconsistency.

-Sensor produces around a 5%~ positive acceleration flaw based on the rate of speed in which you move your cursor. While a lot of people don't have a problem with it, it can be annoying to those that are used to 1:1 response on the lower sensitivities.
-The sensor would hit negative acceleration and would malfunction on most cloth pads fairly early.  (I'm happy to report that this isn't the case with the Sensei and it seems to be "fixed").

tl;dr The 9500 is indeed an improvement, just not for a gamer (yet.)

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #49 on: Sun, 13 November 2011, 13:21:04 »
Quote from: flaming_june;451034
Preferences I guess?

Why newer 9500 sucks compared to the old optical:
9500 isn't 1:1 tracking

So if you're okay with negative acceleration on cloth pad, and positive acceleration on hard pad, 9500 is for you.  Even if you decide to go for something like it, the sensei isn't "worth it" (other than the new lights and macro ability).

But then you still have to figure in how you hold your mouse, how heavy you like your mouse.
well its not the way I hold my mouse but its response to my movement. Currently im using the fingertip grip. Ive gone through all the hand grip styles and found the fingertip grip to be the most responsive but the most tiring. It creates a somewhat accurate response even for this sidewinder x3 but I was looking for something that was even more accurate cause even with this mouse it tends to get some acceleration due to my mousepad being a hard smooth surface.
Peripherals: