Author Topic: Ducky Keyboard, MX Red, unresponsive key. Questions.  (Read 3125 times)

Offline janus408

Ducky Keyboard, MX Red, unresponsive key. Questions.
« on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 05:03:15 »
So I ordered and recieved my first mechanical keyboard on June 20th of this year: A Ducky DK9087G2 PRO TKL Keyboard (Red Cherry MX switches). Today I was playing an FPS (99% of the gaming on it is of the FPS genre) and my W key went out.

At first it was unresponsive. I tapped it a few times, and it came back. Then 1-2 minutes later it was out for good. Ive tried another cord, to no avail. I took all the keys off and am going to try cleaning it.

If that doesn't work, how hard is it to swap the W switch with something I dont use? I can solder, but it is amateur, so if that is required for a fix it will be hit or miss...

Should everything fail, and I get a new keyboard, I obviously dont want to go with a Ducky. I bought this keyboard to replace my trusted Logitech G10 when it finally went out after 5-6 years of use, and the Ducky only made it 7 months. I had been recommended a mechanical keyboard with MX switches, and specifically the Ducky brand, which while it worked it was fantastic.

I am a huge fan of the Cherry MX switches, and would like to go with them again (despite the failure). Is there a brand you would recommend for a longer durability? I like the smaller keyboards that lack the Numpad (which I don't use), dont require backlighting, but I am not staunchly against it, and like I said I want to stay with Cherry MX Reds. I would like to keep it sub $200, but if I am getting something amazing for a bit more (like a lifetime warranty?.. lol) I can stretch it.

Thanks in advance for any and all help and suggestions.
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 December 2013, 05:05:31 by janus408 »

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
Re: Ducky Keyboard, MX Red, unresponsive key. Questions.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 06:00:55 »
Sounds like a soldering issue. Is it still under warranty?

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 06:08:23 »
Sounds like a soldering issue. Is it still under warranty?
Well its been 7 months so it should be. I'd say RMA it but if you don't like waiting just buy extra switch and solder it instead of the faulty one, it looks like a soldering issue to me too.
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 09:23:55 »
Try taking the cap off and wiggling the switch to see if will work.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 17:27:31 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sorry that your first post is to report a problem.

Could be a bad joint - I have two Ducky Shines and both are going strong after more than a year (one has heavy daily use at work).

Could be a faulty switch.

In either case it should be covered under warranty.

If not, it is not too difficult to replace a switch - just a few minutes with a soldering iron.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline janus408

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 December 2013, 22:20:48 »
Thank you for the help guys. I ordered a replacement board and suuitch (lol?) I am going to try soldering the neuu sitch in and if fixed i uuill pass the ducky on to my brother.