Author Topic: Wireless options these days?  (Read 3793 times)

Offline fliz

Wireless options these days?
« on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 15:14:26 »
It's been a while since I got my first wireless mechanical keyboard and I was wondering if there are any new entrants into the market. I know that a Bluetooth HHKB is finally a thing, but are there any other choices out there?

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
Re: Wireless options these days?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 17:36:52 »
Keychron, ikbc

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 19:42:48 »
If you do anything more than office work I'd pass won a wireless keyboard.
Bluetooth is not up to gaming (lag) and other wireless (other than Logitech) tends to be sub par (connection issues).

Even Bluetooth is problematic.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 April 2020, 19:48:30 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline fliz

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:00:37 »
Keychron, ikbc

The K2 looks slick! Thanks!!

Bluetooth is not up to gaming (lag) and other wireless (other than Logitech) tends to be sub par (connection issues).

I'll mostly use it for websurfing when I'm in my travel trailer tbh. It's so the lady and I can sit in bed and have the computer hooked up to the tv. I'm currently using a POS microsoft bluetooth keyboard for that purpose while a HHKB sits collecting dust at home. :(

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:10:41 »
Keychron, ikbc

I'll mostly use it for websurfing when I'm in my travel trailer tbh. It's so the lady and I can sit in bed and have the computer hooked up to the tv. I'm currently using a POS microsoft bluetooth keyboard for that purpose while a HHKB sits collecting dust at home. :(

You got it dude  :thumb: I've thought about getting one my self for the same reason  :D

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 15:21:00 »
Keychron, ikbc

Considering this is for an HTPC:

Tex Shinobi

You can get a kit and then buy your own switches separate too. I wish there were more HTPC-oriented mechanicals, with trackpads, or better yet, trackballs. If one doesn't materialize, I'm going to have to try to add wireless functionality to a TG3 cop keyboard, or one of those old Cherry boards with a trackball.

Offline fliz

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 19:50:23 »
I would LOVE a wireless mechanical with an integrated trackball

Offline cheesy_jones

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 14:53:39 »
Just got this in today. I think I may be in love.
241825-0
It's expensive, but Azio threw in their $100 mouse, so what the heck. It's going on my coffee table, where a keyboard like this belongs, so I can type on my iPad in the evenings.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:04:38 »

It's expensive, but Azio threw in their $100 mouse, so what the heck. It's going on my coffee table, where a keyboard like this belongs, so I can type on my iPad in the evenings.

What do you think of the switches? I have the full size, got it for a song on an auction website. I did not like the clickies in it, worse than Cherry MX in my opinion. I have been thinking of pulling the switches and putting in Kailh box switches, if it would even be feasible. I know I would need different caps.

Offline cheesy_jones

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:21:37 »

What do you think of the switches? I have the full size, got it for a song on an auction website. I did not like the clickies in it, worse than Cherry MX in my opinion. I have been thinking of pulling the switches and putting in Kailh box switches, if it would even be feasible. I know I would need different caps.

In very limited use, the switches have a pretty interesting key feel. Azio says they're "AZIO Typelit Mechanical Switch (by Kailh), Tactile & Clicky Feedback," and I'm still pretty new at this game, so when I pulled a keycap and looked at the switch I was unfamiliar with the switch type. Photo below:
241828-0

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 15:39:55 »

In very limited use, the switches have a pretty interesting key feel. Azio says they're "AZIO Typelit Mechanical Switch (by Kailh), Tactile & Clicky Feedback," and I'm still pretty new at this game, so when I pulled a keycap and looked at the switch I was unfamiliar with the switch type. Photo below:

Oh, I'm aware. I went through all of that already myself. Azio says that they're Kailh, but also that they're custom. I really should tear the board apart and look at the bottom of the PCB.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 19:00:17 »
In very limited use, the switches have a pretty interesting key feel. Azio says they're "AZIO Typelit Mechanical Switch (by Kailh), Tactile & Clicky Feedback," and I'm still pretty new at this game, so when I pulled a keycap and looked at the switch I was unfamiliar with the switch type.
Looks like a variation of Kailh PG1593.
Curious that the sliders are black. Painted to avoid light bleed, I wonder.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 22:50:44 »
In very limited use, the switches have a pretty interesting key feel. Azio says they're "AZIO Typelit Mechanical Switch (by Kailh), Tactile & Clicky Feedback," and I'm still pretty new at this game, so when I pulled a keycap and looked at the switch I was unfamiliar with the switch type.
Looks like a variation of Kailh PG1593.
Curious that the sliders are black. Painted to avoid light bleed, I wonder.

They based it on box switches, yet left in the crappy MX tactile leaf instead of using a clickbar. Did they predate the clickbar mechanism? Opportunity lost.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 23:20:19 »
(Attachment Link)

I've seen that thing around. Is it actually any good to type on? Obviously it looks kind of cool, but I've been worried it's just cool looking and awful to type on. No sculpting of the keys, and so on. What's it sound like?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 00:26:37 »
Title should read, 

WIRELESS IS NOT AN OPTION,  EVER,  NEVER HAS BEEN,  NEVER WILL BE

/getoff mah lawn.. !!

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 01:02:19 »
(Attachment Link)

I've seen that thing around. Is it actually any good to type on? Obviously it looks kind of cool, but I've been worried it's just cool looking and awful to type on. No sculpting of the keys, and so on. What's it sound like?

I should try to force myself to use it a while and see for myself. Completely flat profile, and weirdly-shaped caps, so I do miss a lot when I play with it. I have read/heard that this can be adjusted to with time/practice. Now that I think of it, this TG3 has no curve either, and I type on that just fine at least.

The sound is surprisingly muted. Even bottoming out is fairly deep and quiet, probably because of the wood. The tactile event itself has the typical tinny/rattly MX clicky sound, but the rattle is barely perceptible (I think this is because there is very little tactility as opposed to it being particularly crisp) and the tinny clicks are actually a little deeper than normal.

The switches are relatively smooth and light, though they don't seem as smooth as your typical box switch to me. Tactility and spring weight seem to me to be closest to Kailh box whites. Tactility is just barely noticeable, but with the expected MX-like lack of definition/crispness, as opposed to box whites. Total travel is somewhat less than what you would normally expect from MX and clones.

Title should read, 

/getoff mah lawn.. !!

I agree in principal. Wireless is nice for HTPC setups though.

Offline fliz

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 May 2020, 20:43:45 »
Title should read, 

/getoff mah lawn.. !!

having a cord from a wall mounted laptop to my bed, just so I can type a search string into Youtube, seems a little silly. Latency doesn't matter in this context.

Gaming, of course, is a whole different story.

In fairness, a nice tactile feedback for a keyboard with such a limited purpose is also a bit silly... but I am that silly.