Author Topic: in search of  (Read 1914 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
in search of
« on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:22:44 »
So for my keyboard build I am going to have to build a custom piece for my computer just to plug my keyboard into it.  So what I think I am going to do is install the receptacle into a custom double width PCI slot cove and cut the strip between the two slots out of the case.  The problem is I can't find any dimensions for even a single width cover let alone a double.  So if anyone knows where I could get a set of good dimensions for a double width cover or where I could purchase a blank one that would be great.

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: in search of
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:31:56 »
ATX standard docs. it's all in there.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:42:07 »
ATX standard docs. it's all in there.

Is that in a wiki here or just a hint for a Google search?

OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:43:38 »
actually i have something even better for you: http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/7

BAM!

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:44:27 »
that, by the way, is a pretty major repository for the pc mod community. a lot of cool stuff in there. phinix is probably aware of any derivatives or cooler higher end versions of that.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:53:24 »
I'm guessing you considered switching to a standard db25 instead of a centronics connector. That seems like a lot of work to fabricated a custom double slot cover, but I guess making a custom keyboard is a lot of work so what's one more thing. :)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 23:31:26 »
I'm guessing you considered switching to a standard db25 instead of a centronics connector. That seems like a lot of work to fabricated a custom double slot cover, but I guess making a custom keyboard is a lot of work so what's one more thing. :)

I did briefly but that was after I had the centronics connector soldered to each end.  Besides how many people have to mod their PC (not bolt on parts) to accommodate their keyboard?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 04:54:52 »
Well scratch this thought.  I think I am just going to cut a hole in the case for the centronics connector.   Couple reasons for this change.

1.  I am hanging issues finding dimensions for a dual slot PCI cover and can't seem to find a blank one to buy.
2.  My case has 3 180mm fans in the bottom with a single 120 km fan on the top but the entire top of my case is vented so if I switch back to a USB keyboard in the future what is one more hole.
3.  I don't really want to cut the strip between 2 PCI slots out permanently.

So I guess this thread is now obsolete.