geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Best free blogging platform?

(1/3) > >>

Findecanor:
After many years, I have started to consider starting a blog. There have been many things throughout the years that I have thought about writing about, just to get it out there... but never got around to. But where to start?

I know a few people who have long-standing blogs on Blogspot and Livejournal .. and even Wordpress (...)
But there is a large number of blogging platforms out there.

I don't have a long list of requirements:
* A standard markup-format (like Markdown, MediaWiki or BBCode), so that 1) I don't have to use an atrocious Rich Text-editor, 2) to ease migration to another platform.
* Simple publishing of images: preferably on the site itself.
* Keyword-tagging by topic
* People could find my blog by googling keywords
...but most of all:
* A well designed user interface/theme that isn't annoying. Not "Web 2.0" or some kind of supposed-responsive-design-but-actually-mobile-only crap. No popups or GDPR messages whatsoever. No ads that are in your face.

If you have a blog, what do you use?

fohat.digs:
I am following this, too, I have just about reached the same place at this point in time.

62 views but no suggestions. Maybe there just isn't a good option?

SpAmRaY:
To do it right you want your own domain what you name it depends on your target audience or like many people who intend on eventually having name recognition just use some part or all of your actual name.

Also some thoughts from a few years ago

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=51482.msg1133373.0

And I get the thread title says free but if you're going to be serious about it maybe having a small investment will be motivation to keep going.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Sintpinty:

--- Quote from: Findecanor on Sat, 24 August 2019, 09:31:10 ---After many years, I have started to consider starting a blog. There have been many things throughout the years that I have thought about writing about, just to get it out there... but never got around to. But where to start?

I know a few people who have long-standing blogs on Blogspot and Livejournal .. and even Wordpress (...)
But there is a large number of blogging platforms out there.

I don't have a long list of requirements:
* A standard markup-format (like Markdown, MediaWiki or BBCode), so that 1) I don't have to use an atrocious Rich Text-editor, 2) to ease migration to another platform.
* Simple publishing of images: preferably on the site itself.
* Keyword-tagging by topic
* People could find my blog by googling keywords
...but most of all:
* A well designed user interface/theme that isn't annoying. Not "Web 2.0" or some kind of supposed-responsive-design-but-actually-mobile-only crap. No popups or GDPR messages whatsoever. No ads that are in your face.

If you have a blog, what do you use?

--- End quote ---

Wordpress… Quora. Those things.

If you are a famous or trusted Quoran in the community you can apply for something called a "Space".

rowdy:
Not used it, but I've heard good things about Ghost.

Not free, if you want them to host it, but you can download and run it for free if you have your own infrastructure.

As a radical alternative, what about gists on GitHub?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version