Author Topic: Wanted: Ideas for color or color scheme  (Read 2048 times)

Offline Sojik

Wanted: Ideas for color or color scheme
« on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 06:13:13 »
I got my Noppoo Choc Mini Blues in the mail a few days ago. I'm looking into a way to mod it to change the layout of the keys. I wish I could reprogram it on a firmware level to get access to that Fn key but if I can't I'll just go the AutoHotkey route (I use AHK for a ton of things already).

Anyway, the point is my keycaps aren't going to be that accurate after I make my layout and hotkey changes so I figure I might as well paint my keycaps hiding the labels. I paint cars for a living so I have the equipment, chemicals, paint and the know-how. I use PPG's top of the line paint which I believe Ferrari uses in their factories (I'd have to ask my dad which companies use it to be sure).

I need some ideas. I can literally paint them any car color (besides those specialty iridescent colors). If you were in my position what would you do? They don't all have to be the same color, remember. I'll probably paint the base too. I might do a matte finish to avoid fingerprints if I do a dark color.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 08:52:25 »
I'd make them all British racing green if I were you :p

Still, what control do you have over the exact value? It might be effective to do all varying shades of one colour. It'd still look cohesive, and I think it'd turn out well.

Offline Sojik

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 09:41:33 »
Jaguar color right? :) I have a color lookup system (proprietary stuff - haha). I could mix up a batch of a color and then add some black to the formulae a few times to change the shade. That could be really cool. Another thing is doing a light color and then put a pearl coat on some of the keys. Or I could put a matte additive on some of the keys and keep the others shiny. Or a mixture of all of the above!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 20:44:37 »
Quote from: Sojik;448527
Jaguar color right? :) I have a color lookup system (proprietary stuff - haha). I could mix up a batch of a color and then add some black to the formulae a few times to change the shade. That could be really cool. Another thing is doing a light color and then put a pearl coat on some of the keys. Or I could put a matte additive on some of the keys and keep the others shiny. Or a mixture of all of the above!
My family once owned a 1997 mazda MX5 ("miata"). It was the first body style, with the flip-up headlights. It was dark green, with some sort of blue overlay, so if you looked at it on another angle, parts would be darkblue instead. I recommend that. It's super tasteful, and would set off the three-dimensionality of the keycaps quite well.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 November 2011, 20:48:44 »
I may have some caps painted with auto paint at some point, still debating it. I'd do a pretty red, preferably of the firetruck/crimson variety. Red+Black or White or Beige=AWESOME