Author Topic: Topre Realforce and HHKB Pro2 keycap interchangeability?  (Read 7223 times)

Offline vurt

• achiever
    • j-beck.net
Topre Realforce and HHKB Pro2 keycap interchangeability?
« on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 00:06:48 »
Hello. I am considering selling all of my worldly possessions to purchase a Happy Hacking Pro 2. I'm not a huge fan of the black on black keycaps, and I'm wondering if the yellow keycaps offered on EliteKeyboards.com are interchangeable with the caps on the HHKB. The site claims they are ONLY for the Topre 87/104U, but if the switches are the same, shouldn't the cap fit properly? Perhaps the key spacing itself is different? I am also considering a KCB Poker as I simply want as compact a board as possible. The HH is quite expensive, but I have yet to experience Topre switches and I hear many great things...

Here are the caps I would like to put on the black model: http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=access,toprekeys&pid=xf0100kt4

Thanks in advance to any replies!
Filco MJ2 Ninja | IBM Model M 1391401

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 February 2012, 00:14:09 »
Yes, but with a few exceptions.

Actually, you should have enough correct keys for the whole board except for the smaller right shift.
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 February 2012, 00:18:20 by hcry4 »

Offline furry_angina

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 01:01:30 »
A friend of mine bought the Realforce orange keycap set from EK and he was able to outfit all the keys of his HHKB2.  Not sure what he swapped for the right shift bar, but which ever key it was, the profile seemed to fit as well.  I think he said it was one of the Capslock keys, he had no idea because it's non-printed.

The KBC poker has a more 'ideal' layout for non-programmers.  I'd get Pokers if I didn't like Topre switches so much lol, but the HHKB is just too cute. And I code, trying to learn VIM more--where HHKB really shines.
HHKB2 w/ M705 Realforce 87UB w/ G9

fossala

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 01:04:59 »
How is the poker better for programmers? Esc is either on a second level (crap for vim) or you loose tilda.

Offline lorem3k

• http://twitter.com/#!/lorem3k
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 05 March 2012, 19:16:46 »
He said for non-programmers
Leopold FC200RT/AWN | Logitech G400 | Sennheiser HD25-1 II | Pounds in the fridge, hundred stacks in the armoire

Offline laikaislost

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 00:05:16 »
So I was looking at Topre Key Reference Wiki and there is no mention of the right shift for the HHKB.

I found this on the 'dressing your keyboard up with keycaps' thread:
Quote from: jil_jil32;553794
(Attachment Link) 45286[/ATTACH]

and everyone is mentioning flipping the faux right shift upside down.  Are topre keys flippable like that?  My guess is that there is both a backlit capslock key and a non backlit capslock key in the 87U kit, and the HHKB flips the non backlit key.  But with no picture proof or authorative answer, the question remains:  Can you rotate the topre keys 180 degrees?

fossala

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 April 2012, 02:37:23 »
Quote from: laikaislost;571174
So I was looking at Topre Key Reference Wiki and there is no mention of the right shift for the HHKB.

I found this on the 'dressing your keyboard up with keycaps' thread:

and everyone is mentioning flipping the faux right shift upside down.  Are topre keys flippable like that?  My guess is that there is both a backlit capslock key and a non backlit capslock key in the 87U kit, and the HHKB flips the non backlit key.  But with no picture proof or authorative answer, the question remains:  Can you rotate the topre keys 180 degrees?

Yes.