Author Topic: Unicomp Keycaps vs Model M 1390131  (Read 2424 times)

Offline laikaislost

Unicomp Keycaps vs Model M 1390131
« on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 19:02:35 »
So I recently got my model m from a thrift store, but it was missing the F4 key, so to Unicomp I went and ordered a replacement (along with a new cord).  I was curious if anyone else had noticed the differences between the keycaps on the older IBM model Ms and the Unicomp keycaps?

Here is what I noticed:

1. The keycap is slightly a different shade, lighter than the old one.  Perhaps this is just how the plastic ages, and it is not noticeable except in the light, but I fixate on it.  
2. The printing is off.  I have read ripster and others gripe about the inconsistent printing on unicomp keys, but on my keyboard, the printing is 0.7mm higher than on the original.  Its small, but when close up, it is noticeable (OH THE HORROR!!!)
3. The texture is much less pronounced.  This actually bothers me unlike all the other differences. This model M has survived since April '86 and still has texture that feels much bigger than the new key from unicomp.  I like the old keys significantly better.  Rubbing the new key, I can barely feel the texture, but on the Old keys it feels fantastic.
4. The texture is less precise.  The Model M keys the texture stops exactly at the edge of the key face, but on the unicomp the texture bleeds down the side unevenly up to 1.87mm.
5. The key stems are different colors.  My red Esc came with a white stem, and the stem for the F4 was noticeably lighter than the others.
6. The sprue marks are not centered as they are on the old keys.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am very happy with my purchase form unicomp, and I can definitely get over these minor gripes.  But I just thought I would point out some differences and see if everyone sees this from them.

Sent from a computer with a Model M

Offline Autolyze

« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 March 2012, 21:20:44 »
That's disappointing. I'm probably still going to have to order a set of blanks from Unicomp at some point, but I love the texture on my stock SSK keys. I think they might my nicest feeling keycaps so far.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 20:15:40 »
I have owned perhaps as many as 20 Model M/Fs total and found that half of them had different styles/colors/textures, etc.

The 2 differences most visible to the eye are the size and weight of the lettering. Some are really heavy, others thin. Some high, some more centered.

The secondary markings on the numpad have showed up black, light and dark gray, and light and dark brown.

I have gotten stems in pure white, off-white, light, medium, and dark gray, and nearly black.

Mostly these were IBMs, a few Lexmarks, and a couple of Unicomps.

The "older is better" slogan may be more right than wrong.
"Cohen has been described as a “fixer,” a guy who gets things done, who cleans up messes and who calms the waters in a crisis. But mostly, it seems that Cohen was a lackey.
He wasn’t someone telling Trump hard truths to make sure that he was protected. Cohen was the guy who simply wanted to make sure that Trump was placated. He wanted the boss to be happy. Cohen wasn’t using his clout or connections to turn the tide in Trump’s favor.
He was just another person whose ambitions and self-worth had become intertwined with Trump, someone who as federal investigators closed in on him, as he lied and then lied some more, he had to be reminded by his wife, his daughter and his son that Trump was neither his salvation, nor was he someone worth saving." 2024-05-14 comment