Author Topic: Getting a set of dolch keycaps  (Read 1867 times)

Offline Zifle

• Nyaaa
Getting a set of dolch keycaps
« on: Sat, 31 March 2012, 15:54:48 »
So lately I've completely fallen in love with the color scheme of the dolch caps, and I figure I really need to get myself a set.
The problem is, I'm not completely sure how I should go about it. From researching, I've narrowed the opportunities for acquiring a set down to four:

- Get the whole kb from taobao
- Hope for a replica gb in the near future
- Get a R3 set from R4
- Get one from a fellow GH'er

Now, the first option seemed attractive at first, not only getting a full set of original keycaps, but also a functioning keyboard, where the switches could be used as donors, if anything.
However, due to being a full kb, the price is obviously higher, the weight factors in to increase the shipping. In the end, with all fees accounted for, the price would end up at  ~$150, which is more than I am initially willing to pay.

As for the second option, I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, even in the near future, but it's not exactly a certainty =/

The R3 set is definitely attractive, but I am a little pushed away from the lettering, being centralized and bigger. Don't take this statement as a "I hate that lettering, it's awful 3:", because I still think it's attractive, but I would prefer the smaller, non-centralized, lettering of the original dolch caps.

And lastly, getting one from a GH'er (or anyone else who feels like selling the set, I suppose). I can't say I've exactly searched around, trying to find anyone willing to sell theirs, but on the other hand, I haven't seen anyone directly wanting to get rid of them.

So, if you were to acquire a set of dolch keycaps (preferably including a small shift for choc mini, but not a requirement), within a relatively short time-frame (1-2 months, preferably), how would you go about it?

Oh and, if anyone has a set they're willing to sell, be it R3, originals, or look-a-likes, please, do send me a pm, with a price-figure. I'm not even sure how much a set of these are going for =/ It should probably be mentioned that I'm primarily looking for a TKL set (again, some choc mini compatibility is a plus, but not a must)
I like cats.

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 18:34:37 »
Ebay searching for Dolch is another option but be aware not all of the keycaps called Dolch are MX caps [I believe but I'm not an expert].

Prices for the packet sniffers the keyboards are attached to has been rising.  For an insanely priced [IMHO] on showing a working sniffer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOLCH-PAC-64-Mobile-SNIFFER-NETWORK-ANALYZER-COMPUTER-/310187327335?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item48389aff67#ht_512wt_1396

Also make sure someone hasn't swapped the keys or that its not a non Cherry version [I never knew there were IBM KB versions]
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Dolch-PAC-65-network-sniffer-400MHz-512MB-30GB-luggable-lunchbox-PC-/120888513684?pt=COMP_EN_Workstations&hash=item1c25845494#ht_2426wt_1396

I think I've escaped Dolch fever myself but good luck:)
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 April 2012, 18:38:46 by Game Theory »
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 01 April 2012, 18:41:36 »
Good luck finding some, The Dolch Replica buy won't happen until the Cherry font project comes to fruition.

The price of original sets has skyrocketed (one just went in the classifieds at auction for 155 which is ridiculous but the market decides the price I guess)

Maybe try local used electronic shops/ recyclers?