Author Topic: PBT caps for a 88 TKL  (Read 3296 times)

Offline perragnar

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 16:49:25 »
I have a tkl filco with swedish layout and I'm simply wondering if there are PBT keycaps to buy somewhere for said layout. Blank keys are fine I just want the correct layout of the keys.
Thanks.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 April 2012, 23:36:41 »
I'd say the hardest part would be to get that PBT ISO enter key. The other keys wouldn't be too difficult, I imagine. Maybe someone knows something I don't, but I haven't seen that many ISO PBT kits available thus far.

I think your best bet might be to order from WASDkeyboards, as they will soon have PBT options available. A full set shouldn't be that expensive, and you will likely be able to get them blank or etched/engraved.

Other than the ISO key, you can get a normal ANSI kit, and most of the keys will work, you'll just have to worry about that extra key, the pipe, shift, etc. But the most used keys would work. Blank PBT kits aren't that expensive, and it could tide you over until a clear best option (like WASDkeyboards kit, if it is complete) is available.

Offline Djuzuh

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 01:53:44 »
I also am on a 88*TKL, and*I never saw a pbt set anywhere :'(

Offline perragnar

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 03:07:48 »
Quote from: dorkvader;580547
I'd say the hardest part would be to get that PBT ISO enter key. The other keys wouldn't be too difficult, I imagine. Maybe someone knows something I don't, but I haven't seen that many ISO PBT kits available thus far.

I think your best bet might be to order from WASDkeyboards, as they will soon have PBT options available. A full set shouldn't be that expensive, and you will likely be able to get them blank or etched/engraved.

Other than the ISO key, you can get a normal ANSI kit, and most of the keys will work, you'll just have to worry about that extra key, the pipe, shift, etc. But the most used keys would work. Blank PBT kits aren't that expensive, and it could tide you over until a clear best option (like WASDkeyboards kit, if it is complete) is available.

Getting an ansi layout wouldn't work well for me, some kind of ocd thing that everything has to symmetrical and complete ;) Thanks for you answer, guess I'll wait for wasdkeyboards, even if it will feel like an eternity.

Offline Djuzuh

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 03:23:30 »
You know, AINSI is way more symetrical than ISO.

You can change your keybaord and get an AINSI layout, and it would resolve all your problems :P
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 April 2012, 03:28:24 by Djuzuh »

Offline perragnar

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 06:11:06 »
Quote from: Djuzuh;580639
You know, AINSI is way more symetrical than ISO.

You can change your keybaord and get an AINSI layout, and it would resolve all your problems :P

I know, I've thought about this and will probably do it if wasdkeyboards pbt caps aren't iso. :)
Will miss the :< and :> smileys though, oh well, there is always ascii.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 April 2012, 20:11:35 »
Those keys exist on ANSI. I use Dvorak, but even on QWERTY, those punctuation exist over the comma and period (so shift comma or shift period) The biggest difference (in my opinion) is the lack of altGR, and all the accent keys.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like SP has PBT ISO enter keys in stock.

Offline perragnar

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 04:05:06 »
They don't exist on ansi when using swedish, <> and | are placed between LShift and Z and that button isn't even there :)

Edit: however they are not crucial to my everyday keyboard usage ;)

Offline perragnar

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 04:34:29 »
What is SP btw?

Offline Djuzuh

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 04:42:07 »
signature plastics.

They are the firm that produces most of the custom keycaps you see.

Offline perragnar

PBT caps for a 88 TKL
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 25 April 2012, 06:44:11 »
Aha, thanks :)