Author Topic: Are PBT keys worth it? Also are these good PBT keycaps?  (Read 6428 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Are PBT keys worth it? Also are these good PBT keycaps?
« on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 22:15:38 »
I'm a keycap noob, I only have ABS engraved (came with my WASD), a ABS dye sub and recently ABS double shots (not a full set) however I have never typed on a PBT set. So are they worth it in your opinion? I was looking at the sale of Leopold keyboard and they had a white body with blues, which is pretty damn classy and I've wanted to try blues. That got me thinking about white engraved PBT key caps so I started this :)

Also, are these PBT keys any good, could I find better for the price....?
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-pbt-white-engraved-key-cap/lid=19240211

Finally, how are they side printed? pad printed, dye sub....
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-pbt-white-side-printed-key/lid=19686618

Thanks for the help ;)
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 00:06:03 »
Hmm, are you sure they are ABS dye sub? As far as I know, all dyesub sets are PBT, due to the porosity. Most (All?) IBM/unicomp are dyesub PBT.

Personally, there are some ABS keycaps that do have a good texture. The right shift in hashbaz's white legend RGBY set is an excellent example of this. That said, In almost all other cases, I prefer the PBT texture. I also like all the Dyesub sets I have (I've inspected them closely, and don't see any blurry or fuzzy edges. I imagine these arose from IBM/unicomp reusing the printing sheets too many times: all the custom PBT dyesub I've seen is top notch on sharp edges). I also like PBT's wear resistance. I have nothing wrong with worn/shiny keycaps, but I prefer longevity on principle.

Both the "Daily Driver" keyboards I use have all PBT keycaps (save the one spacebar).

I haven't used keycaps from Qtan's store, so I can't comment, other than to say that they should be great.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 00:35:28 »
Quote from: dorkvader;603600
Hmm, are you sure they are ABS dye sub? As far as I know, all dyesub sets are PBT, due to the porosity. Most (All?) IBM/unicomp are dyesub PBT.

Personally, there are some ABS keycaps that do have a good texture. The right shift in hashbaz's white legend RGBY set is an excellent example of this. That said, In almost all other cases, I prefer the PBT texture. I also like all the Dyesub sets I have (I've inspected them closely, and don't see any blurry or fuzzy edges. I imagine these arose from IBM/unicomp reusing the printing sheets too many times: all the custom PBT dyesub I've seen is top notch on sharp edges). I also like PBT's wear resistance. I have nothing wrong with worn/shiny keycaps, but I prefer longevity on principle.

Both the "Daily Driver" keyboards I use have all PBT keycaps (save the one spacebar).

I haven't used keycaps from Qtan's store, so I can't comment, other than to say that they should be great.

I thought the colored Beaker keys were dye-sub ABS, I could be wrong.

I think I asked this question prematurely, I was going to buy one of those Qtan sets, but I'm going to hold off and see what WASD is going to do with his PBT. I was also looking at getting a Leopold later this year that comes standard with "thick" PBT keys.

Still, thanks for the help
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 30 May 2012, 09:01:46 »
You cannot dye sub abs...the  beeker keycaps are pbt.  The difference in feel of the plastic between abs and pbt is significant.
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)