Author Topic: Keycap feel and switch type  (Read 1764 times)

Offline stingrae

Keycap feel and switch type
« on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 15:31:52 »
So I used to have my noppoo pom caps on my quickfire (well the compatible ones anyway). This was fine but I decided yesterday to switch them back.

Is it just me or:

Does keycap material matter less on a tactile switch, on my choc mini with the abs caps the experience is dreadful but switch back to the pom caps and voila it's almost like a different board, a night and day experience. While I experienced no experience loss with the abs caps back on the quick fire rapid.

Such an odd thing and probably depends on how much you bottom out on reds vs tactile switches and definitely something that is subjective.
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
Re: Keycap feel and switch type
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 August 2012, 15:40:04 »
I know this:
If you can't hear the tactile click, the feel changes drastically.

I think that the caps affect the sound more than feel, but in the case of clicky switches, the sound is such a big part of the tactility that a change in tone affects how you interpret the haptic feedback.

Offline karljs

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 12:32:50 »
I just installed a set of Imsto's (absolutely wonderful) PBT dyesub caps on my WASD with browns, and that alone bumped it from dust-collector status to my daily driver. I don't know if it's the lower profile or some property of the plastic (or perhaps a big, fat placebo?) but it made an incredible difference. Suddenly I feel like the switches are crisp and tactile where I didn't enjoy them before.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 29 September 2012, 23:47:44 »
Yeah I noticed even just switching from white ABS keycaps to black ABS keycaps I've noticed a change in quality.  Like somehow black keycaps feels thickers and sturdier, so I'd only imagine switching to PBT should be even more noticeable.

That and I heard red switch is more effected by keycap material (probably because they're so light), while as mx blue I think the tactile sound and bump distract you a bit so it's less noticeable.

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden