Author Topic: R00TW0RM Key Set (Update)  (Read 21080 times)

Offline f/64

Re: R00TW0RM Key chain
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 18:40:07 »
I got an email back from Melissa saying it'd be $45 for the legend and $2.11 for 75 of the R00TW0RMs.

I told her that this being a Geek Hack affiliated order estimate, naturally things had changed. I told her we'd probably be looking at 7 different types of caps and around 50-100 of each of those; we'll see what she says.

Any preferences on fonts?

Offline props_go_round

« Reply #51 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 18:44:26 »
I'm looking forward to this one!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
Re: R00TW0RM Key Set
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 18:55:08 »
Glad you went with SP doubleshots on these. It's only my opinion, but I just don't like the look of infilled engraved keys. Doubleshots are so much nicer. Sorry, QWERkeys.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 18:58:36 »

Show Image

In for a set of these.  Nice job!  :)
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 19:10:20 »
i dont understand why you want to give r00t w0rm anymore attention/credit by making a keycap.

thats the last thing they should be getting.

and that ripster keycap is just lame.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline f/64

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 19:48:01 »
i dont understand why you want to give r00t w0rm anymore attention/credit by making a keycap.

thats the last thing they should be getting.

and that ripster keycap is just lame.

Nothing's set yet; when GH was "refugeed" on DT, it was an idea that was brought up and garnered support. Since I hadn't seen it done, I thought I'd revive it as it were and see if there was interest. All of the other caps, including the Ripster one, I did because somebody suggested them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #56 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:38:07 »
r00t w0rm was a fairly significant event in the history of Geekhack.

Actually so was the mystery keycap - how about one of these with the "AF" on it, but in the above colours?  Or would that unduely upset someone?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:39:39 »
r00tworm in Times New Roman red on white, and R.I.P.ster in Helvetica. That would be a true commemoration.
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:50:58 »

Actually so was the mystery keycap - how about one of these with the "AF" on it, but in the above colours?  Or would that unduely upset someone?
so make one that says "Geek Hacked".

and thegunner, we get it, you're in love with that troll.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline f/64

« Reply #59 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:56:53 »
r00tworm in Times New Roman red on white, and R.I.P.ster in Helvetica. That would be a true commemoration.

And I don't have Helveticia on my desktop, I'll have to download a font pack later.

so make one that says "Geek Hacked".

It doesn't fit as well, and others seem interested in the R00TW0RM cap. If that's not the case, we can drop it.

Offline Rafen

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:57:12 »
I think someone is jeoulous  ;D

Offline thegunner100

• (╯'□')╯︵</3 ノ( '-'ノ)
    • The Emotional Skyscraper
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 20:57:20 »
Just adding my input to the discussion!
Input Devices:CM QF Rapidx2 ~ REALFORCE 87uw 45/55g ~ Logitech G5v2 ~ Wacom Bamboo CTH-460

Audio Setup: look me up on head-fi
Check out my blog on touhou/doujin music, audiophile gear, and doujin games!

Offline f/64

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:10:01 »

Offline The_Ed

• Asperger's... SQUIRREL! I'm Anal Retentive *****!
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:12:49 »

GEEKHEIL! - In helvetica we trust.

R.I.P.ster
Reaper "frelled" me... Twice... Did he "frell" you too?... *brohug*
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline f/64

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:15:41 »
Do you approve of the mystery cap knock off, mystery cap giver?

:p
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:45:59 by f/64 »

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 21:22:07 »
I don't know now that he stole my avatar...
I'm camping for a week, and moving twice in a month. I'll get back to you when I can (If I don't then just send me another PM).
R.I.P.ster

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 22:56:32 »
Imav won't work as Doubleshot. And SP's pad printing is ugly.
DYESUB!

I'm interested in iMav keycaps. If I have to buy other keycaps to get one... there'll be some interesting flame tests later on that may or may not be construed as a burning in effigy.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 22:57:59 »
don't copy the mystery keycap... you dont even know what it means (neither does anybody else afaik)... come up with your own mysterious symbol.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:00:24 »
don't copy the mystery keycap... you dont even know what it means (neither does anybody else afaik)... come up with your own mysterious symbol.

It was just a thought, but yes, it anyone has valid objections then please remove that one from the set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline f/64

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:09:04 »
DYESUB!

I'm interested in iMav keycaps. If I have to buy other keycaps to get one... there'll be some interesting flame tests later on that may or may not be construed as a burning in effigy.

If/When we do the iMav, I don't plan on using SP so it probably wouldn't be included in the set. There's been interest in Qwerkeys and from what I've seen, they do look good. That's probably who I'd use for that, unless the majority wants to use somebody else.

I'm just mocking up any ideas tossed out basically, but I do need more feed back from everybody interested.

Which caps do you like/dislike, what do you want to see done, do you like the idea of a group of key caps or would you prefer to buy just a single cap.

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #70 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:09:46 »
HO HO HO THIS THREAD SLAPS ME ON THE KNEE  :D

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
  • When caffeine isn't enough
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:17:38 »
Love em'

I'd also be down for a few sets. I'll probably send a full set to Ripster as I know he liked the R00TW0RM cap idea.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:20:38 »
don't forget to include this one in the GH pack:
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:26:18 »
DT has a neat "DT" cap where the D is white on black and the T is black on white: http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/collections/singles/products/deskthority

How about something like that for GH, or would that be too much like copying?

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:28:58 »

Agreed, for all we know this could be a joke against those who received it. (ie. AS$F#@%!*$)

If you did make a R.I.Pster cap you'd definitely want some company other then SP make them. Unless you want to also make a cap with "Let's Kern"

Offline f/64

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:31:46 »
Show Image

Removed the Mystery redux as well.

Offline inlikeflynn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • file not found
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:33:05 »
Show Image

Show Image

awesome! kawa will be so pleased with me to see this here too
----------- __o
--------- _`\<,_
BRAAP(>)/ (*)
************^^^^^^

Offline f/64

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:34:41 »
DT has a neat "DT" cap where the D is white on black and the T is black on white: http://www.qwerkeys.co.uk/collections/singles/products/deskthority

I'd hate to copy DT to be honest. geekhack has always used the seperate "G" and "H" keys, and I'd like to stick to that to carry on the tradition as it were.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:37:51 »

I'd hate to copy DT to be honest. geekhack has always used the seperate "G" and "H" keys, and I'd like to stick to that to carry on the tradition as it were.

No worries :)

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:45:34 »
I'd love someone to make a black on red esc key that just says $250

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:52:41 »

I think that might fall outside the scope of this proposed GB.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Wildcard

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 11 September 2012, 23:58:09 »
I think that might fall outside the scope of this proposed GB.

I'd say that's pretty historical, or at least just as funny. Better then the mystery AF caps.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 00:30:32 »

Slightly off-topic, but I was really wondering how a single key cap can cost that much  :eek:

But yeah, how about adding another key cap with $250 on it.  Doesn't have to be red - it can be the same colour as the others.  Then you could say "I have a $250 key cap" and "here is it ;)".

Offline The_Ed

« Reply #83 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 00:38:43 »
Anyone remember the "priceless" ads? Original cherry red Esc - $250. For everything else there's MasterCard.
R.I.P.ster

Offline Zehkul

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 08:53:52 »
Show Image

It doesn't fit as well, and others seem interested in the R00TW0RM cap. If that's not the case, we can drop it.

What about GEEK HACK ED? You know, keeping it traditional.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:02:46 »
Ugh, this thing screams troll-pack.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:05:26 »

Show Image

Yes:
  • R-R-R-Roll Back
  • G
  • GEEK HACK
  • H
  • R.I.P.ster
  • iMav

No:
  • Roll Back
  • R00T W0RM
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Glissant

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:21:28 »
No to all of them to be perfectly honest, so I guess I am outski :).

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 09:24:39 »
DYESUB!

I'm interested in iMav keycaps.
If/When we do the iMav, I don't plan on using SP so it probably wouldn't be included in the set. There's been interest in Qwerkeys and from what I've seen, they do look good. That's probably who I'd use for that, unless the majority wants to use somebody else.
I think we should go dyesub on this one. Look at how well imsto's dyesubs have come out. The WASD lasered keycap looks pretty good, but I suspect a dyesub of it would look better. Pad print is too expensive, and it's way to complicated for doubleshot. I'm not even sure QWERkeys can get details that small (And if they can, how good will they look)

Clearly Dyesub on thick PBT from imsto is the only option.

Offline f/64

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 11:33:46 »
They couldn't do the ripster cap as a double shot in one line, so I redid it and changed the set in the first post. She also said dye sub as orange on dark grey wouldn't work, so we may have to invert that unless it is possible with somebody else.

Edit:
I updated the set with the iMav inverse; can charcoal the whole top of the cap and make iMav orange instead if preferred.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2012, 13:13:42 by f/64 »

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 16:16:05 »
I'm interested in any of the above. A set would be cool too, but making them available individually for people to just snipe what they want seems like a good idea. For those that think this is in bad taste I think it is good to remember your history. We have not brushed 9/11 or any World War under the rug to be forgotten, or other tragedies for that matter. Geek hack being down was a tragedy no doubt :p

Maybe we need a "never forget" tongue in cheek GH key.
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline f/64

Re: R00TW0RM Key Set (Update)
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 16:39:44 »
I can mock one up when I'm back on my desktop later lol.

Big change to the first post folks; I need feed back.
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 September 2012, 16:43:09 by f/64 »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:23:40 »
Looks good.

$11 per set is very reasonable.

At that price everyone might jsut as well buy the set and sell or throw out the odd key that they don't want, rather than making them available individually, which would probably turn out more expensive?

Offline f/64

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:33:48 »
That was my thinking as well. If we add the iMav to the set, it'd be right at $15 not including shipping.

Offline danielucf

• Horrible Mailman
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Hmmmm beer.
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 17:45:26 »
I'd like two sets, one to use and one to keep nice. Is this going to be moved to the group buy section once everything is decided on?
VE.A 67g Zealios | GH60 MX Clears |

Offline f/64

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:19:42 »
I'd like two sets, one to use and one to keep nice. Is this going to be moved to the group buy section once everything is decided on?

Yeah, it shouldn't be too terribly long now that we have an idea on prices. What I really need to know now: is everybody that's shown interest so far okay with it being a set, and do we want SP to dye sub the iMavs. Also, if so, do we want to add those to the set?

Offline MMB

• I no longer use this account. Please email me.
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 18:33:57 »
Are the G and H going to be the proper profile?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:09:24 »
She also said dye sub as orange on dark grey wouldn't work, so we may have to invert that unless it is possible with somebody else.

Edit:
I updated the set with the iMav inverse; can charcoal the whole top of the cap and make iMav orange instead if preferred.
Yeah, you can only dyesub darker colours onto lighter. The inverted one looks great, and I'd be down for several. I think I'd prefer orange (or white, like the origional) with darker colour on it, than trying to dyesub most of the top.

Offline 1391401

• MX CLEAR
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:22:37 »
lol @ some of these keys - in
People I've given money to from this webform who never respond to me and have not shipped me anything: ctrlalt.io 1 2, Team Readline Reputable alternatives to GH group buys: http://pimpmykeyboard.com, https://www.massdrop.com,

Offline f/64

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 12 September 2012, 19:36:49 »
Are the G and H going to be the proper profile?

Yes, they'll be row 3 DCS, unless there's cause to use a different family.