Author Topic: Thick PBT vs Regular PBT  (Read 12435 times)

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
Thick PBT vs Regular PBT
« on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 06:23:52 »
Was wondering which od these keycaps feel better to type on.

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: Thick PBT vs Regular PBT
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 06:55:03 »
Personal preference, just like ABS vs PBT. I personally like thick PBT though because of the way they resonate when making noise.

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:17:15 »
Do thick PBT keycaps have any problems with crashpads or O-rings?
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline terran5992

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:56:56 »
Thanks guys for the feedback
I'm currently looking at buying either the PBT caps from this guy http://forums.vr-zone.com/singapore-marketplace-garage-sales/2376605-mechanical-keyboards-cherry-mx-keycaps-acessories-updated-25-11-a.html

Or I'm getting from feng's group buy

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:58:38 »
Thanks guys for the feedback
I'm currently looking at buying either the PBT caps from this guy http://forums.vr-zone.com/singapore-marketplace-garage-sales/2376605-mechanical-keyboards-cherry-mx-keycaps-acessories-updated-25-11-a.html

Or I'm getting from feng's group buy

You are from SG?  :eek: :eek:

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 09:19:40 »
TC, thick PBTs I've only seen come in Cherry profile, which doesn't cooperate nicely with o-rings/pads due to the shorter stem length.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline terran5992

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 09:43:41 »

Offline terran5992

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 09:45:45 »
TC, thick PBTs I've only seen come in Cherry profile, which doesn't cooperate nicely with o-rings/pads due to the shorter stem length.

Not planning on using any of those items . So shld be fine

Offline terran5992

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:26:15 »
Any more feedback??

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:29:53 »
I'm enjoying the Cherry profile of my thick PBT more than the OEM profile Ducky PBT I previously used.  However, I like the stronger texture of the Ducky PBT.  That said, the weak lasered legends on the Ducky are annoying.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline terran5992

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:44:25 »
I'm enjoying the Cherry profile of my thick PBT more than the OEM profile Ducky PBT I previously used.  However, I like the stronger texture of the Ducky PBT.  That said, the weak lasered legends on the Ducky are annoying.

What makes the thick PBT better? Better sound? Better feedback?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 19:50:51 »
The sound is different certainly but I don't care, my wife appreciates the lower tone and softer clack when I bottom out.  I don't think my wife could tell the difference between the 2 PBTs tho. 

My preference to PBT is the feel of the caps, specifically how the surface feels.  I don't know that I could tell a difference in how key presses feel.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline clakdale661

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 20:55:56 »
How do I get some PBT key caps that look like the Filco ninja one? I saw pictures of the thick caps with "side print", but the letters are too big. I want it small like the stock Filco. Does such key caps exist? Please help me find it. Thank you.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 21:41:51 »
As for keycaps, I ordered mine hopefully will arrive soon then I'll let you know lol.

How do I get some PBT key caps that look like the Filco ninja one? I saw pictures of the thick caps with "side print", but the letters are too big. I want it small like the stock Filco. Does such key caps exist? Please help me find it. Thank you.

Well at the moment there aren't too many 3rd party vendors doing side print now.  So chances are the one you saw is the only one we know.

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2012, 00:39:43 by reaper »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 21:44:39 »
Qtan sells some gold on black ninja PBTs. He used to have some sexy white ninjas, but it looks like he sold 'em all.
http://www.vendio.com/stores/E-sports-Gaming-equipments/item/pbt-key-caps/104-pbt-gold-black-side-printe/lid=18974431

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 23:21:33 »
They're just thick on the sides... I see nothing wrong with SP's pbt caps. Unless you have to have the sound difference, (or the square edges?) the so called "thick" pbt is possibly thinner on the legend side; (of course the plastics themselves having different transparency properties will have to be taken into account as well)

for one, it was very hard for me to get any light to shine through the top of the signature plastics one (off switch)

same for: side (on switch) other pbt is TechKeys limited from qtan

& how about the bottom here, the "depth" or "bowl factor" kinda shows the face thickness; (sp's mold style/thickness can be seen in their transparent polycarbonate keys as well. dont know if a true trans. clear exists for the thick style mold?)
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 December 2012, 23:28:27 by Lu_e »

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 17 December 2012, 12:20:38 »
I am always looking for front printed US International 12mm keycaps all keys same row, same height, same angle.  I don't care if they are thick or thin, PBT or POM or ABS.

I can buy stickers to stick on the front.  So they do not absolutely have to be front printed.  I still need 12mm keycaps all keys same row, same height, same angle. Thick PBT or thin PBT.  Or ABS or POM.
Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline KuhnTang

• Game of Thrones
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 15:34:01 »
I just got my first set of "thick PBT" from Feng.  I have to say, I really like them.  I can't promise that it's 100% from the thickness, because they are "cherry profile" as well, so there is two changes at once.  However, there is less rattling and they just feel more solid.

I love them.  they're expensive, but I think it's worth it.