Author Topic: [GB] Allison + Matilda - a 70-ish% Keyboard + Numpad  (Read 60751 times)

Offline mrpetrov

[GB] Allison + Matilda - a 70-ish% Keyboard + Numpad
« on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 09:59:28 »
Hi folks, this is the GB announcement for the Allison keyboard and its optional matching numpad, the Matilda.

Sound Tests and Build Stream

Allison final prototype sound tests: POM half plate and Carbon Fiber full plate with lubed Lavenders and Cherry Black Hyperglides

Allison final prototype sound test by Alexotos: POM full plate with lubed Lavenders

Allison final prototype build stream by Alexotos

My Instagram: includes many Allison pictures over time.

Details

GB Open: 12 Feb 2022 (1400 GMT, 0900 ET, 0600 PT) - extras will be open one hour before this (1300 GMT, 0800 ET, 0500PT) so you can add extra plates, PCBs, gaskets etc to your cart in advance of the GB opening.
GB Close: 25 Feb 2022
Allison (keyboard): US$500 (in GBP equivalent)
Matilda (optional numpad): US$175 (in GBP equivalent)
MOQ: 200 units
Vendor: proto[Typist]

The colors that will be offered are:
  • E-white
  • Black
  • Champagne-Beige (please note, this is not the same color as the prototype above)
  • Dark Green

The plate options that will be offered are (each available in full or half plate versions):
  • Polycarbonate
  • POM
  • Carbon Fiber
  • Aluminum (6063)

Design Features

The Allison features:
  • A unique layout marrying a 60% form factor, but with function keys and a left-macro column
  • A full isolation poron-gasket mount
  • A 6.0 degree typing angle and front edge height of 20mm
  • A large brass weight with an acoustic cavity
  • Plate options catering to most typing feel preferences – I prefer a relatively soft half plate with the Allison, such as polycarbonate or POM, for a nice bouncy feel
  • An optional internal silicon ring which sits inside the keyboard cavity to help prevent any impact from bottoming out when using more flexible plate materials, such as polycarbonate or POM – it has little to no impact on sound and is entirely optional to use (I don’t bottom out in every day usage, but if you have big strong fingers, maybe you will!)
  • An optional numpad (Matilda) which shares the design aesthetic of the main board, and which can be used in a traditional, southpaw or all-1u (e.g. artisan display/macro pad) layout

Background

The keyboard itself is named after my wife, Allison, in the hope that she would think I was being romantic and, as a result, wouldn’t bust my ass over the time and cost needed to create a custom keyboard. Of course, this strategy didn’t work and now I am stuck calling it Allison for fear of reprisal. Half jokes aside, Allison helped me with the design phase, especially around the base contours, the badge and the choice of colors.

The badge is a stylized representation of Allison practising yoga (don’t ask me what this move is called, I have no idea). After providing a hilariously **** paper sketch of what I thought I was after, onecreativemind (OCM) turned it into the badge you see today on the right.

OCM also turned a copy of Allison’s actual signature into the (small) stylized name you will see on the bottom left corner of the weight in the production version.

The underside of the case was designed to draw on both human curves and elements from some of my favorite keyboards that I either own or have had the pleasure to see.

Design and Rationale Process

I’m a keyboard enthusiast and I needed a keyboard that was optimized for own needs, so I took on the task of designing a keyboard with a layout and aesthetic which was different from anything else available. Specifically, I wanted:
  • Function keys for both gaming (especially MMOs and ARPGs) and work (i.e. Excel, Word, etc);
  • A left macro column that I could use to control media and scrolling while keeping my right hand free to hold my mouse, while also maximizing space for the mouse by removing superfluous keys right of the alphas;
  • A separate numpad that shared the aesthetic of the main board for situational use; and
  • A sound profile which appeals to me – namely, a sound profile where you hear a deep bass and crisp top-end clack, but minimizing mid-range tones. I did *not* want this to sound like the currently popular foam-dominated boards which I personally find pretty boring and homogenous with their dominant mid-tones. Please note, I am not promising this sound profile with whatever combination of parts you might choose – but this is the sound profile I was reaching for and achieved to my satisfaction: Allison final prototype sound tests: POM and Carbon Fiber plates with lubed Lavenders and Cherry Black Hyperglides

The design process – I don’t know CAD and I’m too old to want to learn – was initially undertaken with the help of the Sith lord, Tesletron, who worked on the very initial design with me in mid-2019. After that first prototype proof of concept, I then worked solely with James at Alchemist Keyboards and Jae at protoTypist to completely rebuild the design from the ground up in CAD, with Yiancar designing the PCB.

We did the second round of prototypes in 2020, which were the first protos to include the brass weight. We ran multiple versions of the acoustic cavity to iterate on a solution which, in my judgment, produced the best sound result.

I have been dailying my Allison for many months now, and I am happy that it is in a form which is ready for GB. Jae has kindly offered to run the GB through protoTypist, which should give prospective GB participants comfort given his specific experience with the manufacturer and his own strong track record with running many GBs successfully to completion.

What’s Included?

Included in the purchase will be:
  • Top case in color and layout (WK or WKL) of your choice
  • Bottom case in color of your choice
  • Brass weight and badge
  • Plate of your choice
  • PCB
  • Hardware
  • Gaskets
  • Internal silicon ring (optional to use)
  • Feet (optional to use)
  • Hard carry case

Note, additional plates, PCBs and gaskets will be available as add-on extras.

FAQ

Q: Why no arrows?
A: I wanted to maximize mouse space, and I am comfortable either using arrows on a layer or, alternatively – on the WK version – you can toggle the right shift/ctrl/fn/alt keys to act as semi-permanent arrow keys (as they are essentially symmetrical around the right shift key)

Q: Why no feet cutouts?
A: I (almost) always use a deskpad, so I designed the board around not using feet and I strongly disliked the look of the base with feet or cutouts. That said, protoTypist will include four molded feet designed by James. These are self-adhesive, molded feet which you can use on the base wherever you like.

Q: Why is it not seamless?
A: Because it has a seam. And all the best sounding boards have seams. I kid, I kid?

Q: Are there both WK and WKL versions available?
A: Yes.

Q: Is the bottom row layout fixed?
A: Yes. The WK version bottom row is a Tsangan 1.5/1/1.5 layout. This was a specific design choice. Both the WK and WKL layouts require a 7u spacebar.

Q: Do the PCB and plate support ISO?
A: The PCB supports ISO, but there will not be an ISO plate option as part of the GB itself.

Q: Will you make the plate files public?
A: Yes, protoTypist will make the plate files public following the close of the GB.

Q: Does the PCB support alps switches?
A: No, hipster.

Q: Does the PCB include an accessible reset button?
A: Yes, it does.

Q: Does the PCB include ESD protection?
A: Yes. ESD protection is on the USB daughterboard.

Q: Is the PCB QMK and VIA compatible?

Q: What is the connection method?
A: USB-C using a standard USB daughterboard.

Q: Why didn’t you use 4 case screws across each edge in the case?
A: Because we didn’t need to and we wanted to hide one screw in Allison’s USB hole.

Q: What are your favorite plate materials to use with the Allison?
A: In no particular order – polycarbonate, POM and carbon fiber. I prefer half plates for the sound and bounce.

Q: Any building tips?
A: We wanted to preserve a bouncy, flexible typing experience so the poron gaskets we're using are very soft. Also, while we have case alignment posts, we didn't want anything rubbing up and down against the pcb while you typed - so we don't use plate or pcb alignment posts or similar (e.g. shims). This means, it will take some manual adjustment to center the plate to your satisfaction - it's not hard, but it is somewhat fiddly to get it centered depending on how diligent you are.

Q: How will the GB be conducted?
A: To be confirmed, but likely a FCFS sale through protoTypist’s website.

Q: How many units are for sale in the GB?
A: To be confirmed.

Q: Will there be extras?

Q: How long will it take to get produced once the GB completes?
A: protoTypist estimates 9-12 months based on current supply chain logistics.

Q: Any color health warnings you want to make?
A: Yes. With seamed boards, you should expect some minor color differentiation between the top and bottom halves. Jae will seek to match the tops and bottoms with the best color matching during QC. Further, you should expect imperfect color matching between the numpad and the main board, if you choose to buy the numpad. Again, Jae will seek to match colors as best as he reasonably can between the main cases and numpads during QC.

Q: Is this price reasonable?
A: The price is set by the vendor, protoTypist. I am taking zero remuneration from the GB, nor am I recouping any of the out-of-pocket costs I have incurred for manufacturing the prototypes and paying for the design and CAD work. 

Q: Anyone to thank?
A: Allison and my kids, James, Jae, Yian, onecreativemind, mechmerlin, alexotos for the pics, the first round proto guinea pigs, the hole, TC, BK, pdxkbd club, this cool community generally. The end game is the friendzzzzzzzzzzzzzz……….

« Last Edit: Fri, 11 February 2022, 09:24:54 by mrpetrov »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: [GB] Allison + Matilda - a 70-ish% Keyboard + Numpad
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 23:01:28 »
Approved :thumb:

Offline Rik.caffeinated

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 00:06:15 »
YES FINALLY THE WAIT IS OVER

Offline Juego

• True
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 00:33:50 »
Nice, great work Petrov!
#KeyboardGang

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 08:07:51 »
Updated GB launch at 12 Feb, 1400 GMT!

Extras will be open one hour before this (1300 GMT, 0800 ET, 0500PT) so you can add extra plates, PCBs, gaskets etc to your cart in advance of the GB opening.
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 February 2022, 09:24:36 by mrpetrov »

Offline ArsChromatica

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 07:43:26 »
I purchased one yesterday...so excited! Good luck with the rest of the GB!

How thick is the Allison PCB? I was thinking of purchasing Wuque Studios' Aurora Stabilizers for this build, but there are two separate types available depending on PCB thickness (1.2 mm and 1.6 mm).

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 February 2022, 08:20:48 »
I purchased one yesterday...so excited! Good luck with the rest of the GB!

How thick is the Allison PCB? I was thinking of purchasing Wuque Studios' Aurora Stabilizers for this build, but there are two separate types available depending on PCB thickness (1.2 mm and 1.6 mm).

Awesome, thank you! The pcb is is the standard 1.6mm, with 10% tolerance.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 15 February 2022, 13:50:39 »
Just a small but important update - I'm pleased to confirm that all orders will be made - we have reached moq!

While there are still some units left if you're on the fence, protoTypist has been able to confirm that all orders will indeed be manufactured.

Offline kajahtaa

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 20 February 2023, 20:56:14 »
Thanks pT
« Last Edit: Sun, 23 July 2023, 22:09:58 by kajahtaa »

Offline jshufelt

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 05 November 2023, 05:57:50 »
Have the plate files been released yet?

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 November 2023, 01:52:20 »

Offline aeryxz

• aeboards
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 07 November 2023, 01:08:43 »
aww yeah

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 01:56:13 »
Oh my lord the first 60(ish) + f-row and I missed it

Time to trawl the aftermarket

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 08 November 2023, 18:28:09 »
Oh my lord the first 60(ish) + f-row and I missed it

Time to trawl the aftermarket

Sent from my SM-S906E using Tapatalk

Might be worth contacting pT as he may have some in-stock availability soon.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 18:41:19 »
Got around to making one of the WK versions, with 9009.

Bottom left Print column button set to screen snip macro.  Right (shift +bottom) row set to direction arrows as default

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 10 April 2024, 18:45:27 »
307324-0