Author Topic: Grifiti ErgoDox Wrist Rest (both hands) [Massdrop] $11.99  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
Grifiti ErgoDox Wrist Rest (both hands) [Massdrop] $11.99
« on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 18:37:25 »
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/grifiti-ergodox-wrist-rest?mode=guest_open

Did anyone see this yet? I was actually a bit surprised

Its not going to replace my Noko, OBVIOUSLY I MEAN COME ON, but this is perfect for the ErgoDox i take with me on business trips

And this is also really good for those who can't afford a Noko or can't wait.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
Re: Grifiti ErgoDox Wrist Rest (both hands) [Massdrop] $11.99
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 19:59:05 »
I'm ecstatic that Grifiti is acknowledging a keyboard that's not manufactured by anybody in particular -- especially one as awesome as the Ergodox ... but I just think it's the wrong fit for me.

If I tent the ergodox, there's nothing to hold the wrist rest on, and normally I find some way to set the keyobard on my lap ... also not a good place for a wrist rest.

Wrist rests are really good for desks like I have at work. And indeed if I used my ergodox at work I would buy one of these but I just talked my boss into buying a QFR and I'd feel tacky in the extreme setting that thing aside so I could use my homebuilt keyboard after all.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline gameaholic

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 20:01:53 »
I don't even have an ergodox yet but I may get this just to have for the future.  =P  Also what is a Noko?
IBM Model M SSK, Filco MJ2 Ninja TKL with Reds ergo-clears, CM Storm QFR 55g Whites, Poker II with Reds

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 20:23:25 »
I don't even have an ergodox yet but I may get this just to have for the future.  =P  Also what is a Noko?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/panicfx/sets/72157644894873185/

Offline nomaded

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 August 2014, 21:48:43 »
I'm ecstatic that Grifiti is acknowledging a keyboard that's not manufactured by anybody in particular -- especially one as awesome as the Ergodox ... but I just think it's the wrong fit for me.

I agree. I think it's great that Grifiti is making wrist rests for the ErgoDox.

If I tent the ergodox, there's nothing to hold the wrist rest on, and normally I find some way to set the keyobard on my lap ... also not a good place for a wrist rest.

But as you suggest, I have Kinesis Freestyle lifters for tenting, so this wrist rest wouldn't work out well for my usage.

At home, I also use my classic-cased ErgoDox on my lap, but I bought one of those plastic lapdesks with the molded wrist rest that Best Buy and Barnes & Noble carries, and with the lifters, it actually works out pretty well.

Wrist rests are really good for desks like I have at work. And indeed if I used my ergodox at work I would buy one of these but I just talked my boss into buying a QFR and I'd feel tacky in the extreme setting that thing aside so I could use my homebuilt keyboard after all.

At work, I use my fullhand cased ErgoDox, and actually use the Grifiti palm pads that they market for laptops, for better comfort when I'm not typing.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 00:58:24 »

If I did wristrests, what I'd do is get a fullhand bottom plate (just the bottom plate) to rest the wristrest on. That way you can tent all day long with no issues.

Offline nomaded

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 20 August 2014, 22:39:42 »
If I did wristrests, what I'd do is get a fullhand bottom plate (just the bottom plate) to rest the wristrest on. That way you can tent all day long with no issues.

That is an awesome idea.
Dvorak
ErgoDox fullhand (MX Clears) w/Nuclear Green Data SA || Infinity ErgoDox (Zealios 78g tactile) w/SA Retro || Atreus62 (MX Clears) w/Chocolatier || TECK 209 (MX Browns) || TouchStream ST
Kensington Slimblade Trackball || Logitech Cordless Optical Trackman || Apple Magic Trackpad
Current Dvorak-based ErgoDox layout || Current Dvorak-based TECK layout

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 August 2014, 00:23:59 »

That is an awesome idea.

Everyone should keep it in mind the next time a Metal-Ergodox GB happens. Which should be within a month's time....probably

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Gloomy Moonie

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 18:08:17 »
Hey guys, does anyone here have both nylon and smooth versions? Couldn't find any comparison of the the two while attempting to resolve my dilemma about which one to get.
For context, I have the 60% size nylon pad, and what I love about it is that it's very resistant to sticking, i.e. if your hands are moist from sweat, you could still glide them as effortlessly on the surface of the pad, what is not the case with any other materials such as plastic, metal, wood etc. As for cons though, the cloth-like material isn't very receptive of the Grifiti logo on the right bottom side, which kind of gives the pad this cheap look, IMHO. Thus, I'm thinking about getting the smooth version, but was wondering whether it is deserving of it's name. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 20:08:54 »
i have 2 versions of their 60% pad, one i got is called the laptop pad and is a harder material with a cloth like surface and more durable but gets kind of ruff surface after a year of use.  Another 2 i got from both Grifiti's website and massdrop GB, it has a spandex-like material that stretches and is softer but one of mine started peeling and i threw it away not knowing that Grifiti usually replaces ones that dont last long, they have pretty nice people and on a blue moon they appear on geekhack. I dont know which is which or if the durable one is even one of these, i bought 1 of each hoping either is the same material as the laptop pad, i like a harder surface.

Offline Gloomy Moonie

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 25 August 2014, 20:32:39 »
Is this what you mean by spandex? Because it's the one I have, and the edges definitely look like they're about to peel off any second..
It seems that there aren't any definitive descriptions of the materials on Grifiti's website, although there are some pretty hilarious ones :D

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 03:54:20 »
I joined in on this!!! Great deal :D I did Nylon finish.. I hope it turns out to be durable!

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 September 2014, 08:47:51 »
OK, so nylon peels and the other option isn't entirely flat? Kinda sucks, but I'm in for one.