Author Topic: Custom Pok3r review (Zealiostotles)  (Read 12705 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Custom Pok3r review (Zealiostotles)
« on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 06:35:02 »
Something a bit special this week hope you enjoy! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline dante

Re: Custom Pok3r review (Zealiostotles)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 13:23:01 »
Great review as always.  Definitely would love your thoughts on the Kailh Box White (Clicky) compared to this.

What did you think about the keycaps in relation to your vintage boards of similar profile?

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 05 August 2017, 14:26:19 »
Great review. I always wanted to know what you thought of these.

Great review as always.  Definitely would love your thoughts on the Kailh Box White (Clicky) compared to this.

What did you think about the keycaps in relation to your vintage boards of similar profile?

The white Kailh Box switches are not really comparable imo. The click does sound better but they use a linear stem and there is only the faintest amount of tactility.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 03:15:19 »
Great review. :)

Would you be okay if I embedded your video review on my Aristotle page? That way users have a reference as to what "Zealiostotles" sound like.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 03:24:49 »
Great review. :)

Would you be okay if I embedded your video review on my Aristotle page? That way users have a reference as to what "Zealiostotles" sound like.
Sure, no problem :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline _haru

• Formerly linuxfanatic
  • Back from the dead
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 08:14:30 »
Great review as always. Thanks for sharing!
AMJ60 - 45g MX White | GH60 Rev. C - Ghost Gateron Blacks | DFK101 - Alps SKCM Cream | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL - 62g Vintage MX Ergo Clear

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 06 August 2017, 21:03:31 »
I loved the feel of Cherrystotles when I experimented with them and was about to order a full set, unfortunately the tighter tolerances on Cherry upper housing can sometimes can bind the Aristotle stem.

See update below
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 August 2017, 18:16:28 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 07 August 2017, 18:16:12 »
Ignore my post above, I was just trying out my new switch top removal tool and noticed that I had put an Aristotle cap and stem on Cherry housing, which caused the binding. Cherrystotles work just fine.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Vladimir

• Professional Dream Crusher
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 10 August 2017, 04:46:30 »

The white Kailh Box switches are not really comparable imo. The click does sound better but they use a linear stem and there is only the faintest amount of tactility.

Still, which one sounds better?

Matias Mini Quiet Pro              Noppoo Nano 75-S Brown

Offline Ruskie

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 21 August 2017, 09:05:31 »
The box whites SOUND a lot sharper, however with a higher pitched click. Aristotles and all of their modified variants are much more tactile, but use the click jacket mechanism, which inherently add some rattle. Its entirely personal preference, though.
Ive got myself a beefy boi

-Alf F62PE
-PCB Mount ZealV2 67g
-GMK KA1953 "OG Classic Retro"

8 pounds of clack

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 August 2017, 02:48:33 »
Great review man, thoroughly enjoyed this one.

Offline Yethuo

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 28 September 2017, 16:42:23 »
your voice is mesmerizing lol
cherry blues were my first clicky switches, but they gradually started to sound annoying, so i moved to tactiles
but after seeing your review and hearing those zealiostotles, i want to try them out one day

great review!

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 10 October 2017, 20:29:31 »
Just in time for a new build, thanks for the review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 11 October 2017, 00:38:33 »

Still, which one sounds better?

Gatistotles/Cherristotles sound better imo, the click is fuller sounding and a bit lower pitched I think. -stotles still have a little bit of rattle though that does not exist on the boxes, but it's really hard to hear especially compared to mx blues.

BOX's can sound great with thick and tall keycaps, though.

Offline Kira

• <3 <3 <3 <3
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 17:43:58 »
Hate to bump an old thread but when you said these aren't good for gaming are you sure I can't do competitive gaming with these?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 09 March 2018, 19:15:54 »
Hate to bump an old thread but when you said these aren't good for gaming are you sure I can't do competitive gaming with these?
I used to play pretty darn good on buckling spring Model M (and a wireless mouse), so yes, you can, however you are putting yourself at a disadvantage. Once you reach a certain level in anything competitive, your equipment matters. The question is are you there, and does it matter. If you are happy with where you place in games or you are just out to have fun, then it won't matter.

If all you do is mash keys, it's less of an issue, but if you try and take micro steps are extreme rapid pressing, the hysteresis will be an issue for you. What is that? When you press the key down it activates at the 2mm point, however when you release the key it may not release until the 1mm point. On a traditional key you can ride the bump, just barely moving it, triggering the switch on and off, but on this, you have to almost completely lift off the key before it will release and you can go down again. That may not sound like a big deal, it's only 1mm, however, not only an you feel it, but it's not instantaneous. Friction and sticktion can cause it to lag behind. So not only do you have to move that full 1mm up, you have to wait for the key to reset, then begin moving that 1mm back down again.

Another thing many forget too, is the noise.
If you play using voice, EVERYONE will hear every key press you make when the mic is hot and not all of them are going to appreciate that. The noise can also mask noises you and your teammates need to hear. 

The same applies to watching movies or listening to music while on the computer, these can be quite loud and you may miss things.

So bottom line is, yes, you can, just be prepared to accept what comes with it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More