Author Topic: Mechamorphosis  (Read 2715 times)

Offline Anakey

Mechamorphosis
« on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 04:40:54 »
I posted this on Reddit yesterday, but hopefully some on here will like it also

Completed build with key switch in Control position. Trackball is powered will send but does not yet receive so is currently not on operation but I would like to get it fully operational in the near future.

The original board I bought. I got a replacement case due to the original one being damaged in shipping which I then used for my project.

Have just finished cutting out the top case, still got to finish off around the edges, got a template file for my plate over so wanted to check it would fit correctly. Already have the indicators installed.

Industrial USB cable made along with a better picture of the key switch and indicators.

Switches, plate and keycaps have arrived, just wanted to do a test fit and show what the final assembled board would look like, No internal work has been done as yet

Rear USB ports done, these will be connected to an internal USB hub. The original board has a parallel port here.

Handwired board using a Postage Board controller board, I did some of the handwireing as part of a livestream guide over 3 episodes to show my way of working and to hopefully encourage others who might be a bit apprehensive of doing their own handwired builds.

Internal picture both the keyboard and trackball are connected to the square USB hub with the remaining two ports being passed through to the rear of the case.

The Key switch is on the +5v so when that is in the View (off) position there is no power to the USB hub so everything is switched off and the keyboard is locked until the key is turned from view to Control (on)

Offline bendim

• Maker-Tutorials
Re: Mechamorphosis
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 05:03:25 »
Thats great. My favourite feature is the lock key funktion.
Btw is the trackball working?
Planck Hand Wired

Offline Anakey

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 05:08:57 »
At the moment the trackball is powered and can send but not receive, I think that i just need to play with the serial to usb converter to get it to work fully, will be hopefully going to my uncle soon who is good with programming and so should be able to get it working.

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 06:42:41 »
Great project and great work.

Offline JP

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 12:26:34 »
Looks like a fun project the end result is phenomenal.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 17:16:33 »
Whoa, looks like that 60% fits perfectly in the place of the original key layout. Hope you figure out the trackball bit. Either way awesome project.

Offline Anakey

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 05 December 2018, 17:30:49 »
Yeah, the original pcb was a 15x5 grid so i knew that a standard 60% was going to take up the same amount of space

Offline Little4Real

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 December 2018, 10:58:44 »
What kind of USB cable is that?

Offline Anakey

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 December 2018, 16:19:34 »
What kind of USB cable is that?

Its just one i made using the different connectors from an online electronics component retailer called RS Components here in the UK basically any 4 pin connector will do for the keyboard side obviously the usb side is fixed
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 December 2018, 18:15:09 by Anakey »