Author Topic: [IC] GMK Retrowave [GB August 1]  (Read 145849 times)

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. [On Hold]
« Reply #200 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 19:36:01 »
I felt like we needed to clear up a few things regarding this set. First and foremost, people need to stop blaming MiTo as he is not the cause of this set being put on hold. It has been rather disheartening and disappointing to see how some people have made incorrect assumptions and placed blame and hardship on others.

Secondly, I am having meetings will all involved parties and am very hopeful that we can get this project back on the books. It may take some cooperation and compromise from all involved, but certainly nothing major that can't be overcome. All parties are open to making this work, so I believe this set can still happen. :thumb:

Finally, nobody was in the wrong here, and there is no blame to place. Everyone has been working to make this set a reality, and if folks could withhold judgements or assumptions until this matter is settled it would work out best for everyone. If anyone has any direct questions feel free to DM me.

Offline jimmythetooth

« Reply #201 on: Mon, 08 March 2021, 19:44:22 »
I felt like we needed to clear up a few things regarding this set. First and foremost, people need to stop blaming MiTo as he is not the cause of this set being put on hold. It has been rather disheartening and disappointing to see how some people have made incorrect assumptions and placed blame and hardship on others.

Secondly, I am having meetings will all involved parties and am very hopeful that we can get this project back on the books. It may take some cooperation and compromise from all involved, but certainly nothing major that can't be overcome. All parties are open to making this work, so I believe this set can still happen. :thumb:

Finally, nobody was in the wrong here, and there is no blame to place. Everyone has been working to make this set a reality, and if folks could withhold judgements or assumptions until this matter is settled it would work out best for everyone. If anyone has any direct questions feel free to DM me.

Thanks for the update! Pitchfork is back in the pitchfork sheath. Back to staring at the renders.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 12:55:08 »

Thanks, but I do not understand why there should be any "compromise" on the part of Retrowave. There is absolutely nothing used in the retrowave kit that Laser has any right to what so ever. That "sunset" novelty, especially, existed LONG before Laser decided to use it.
And as wrong as it was, i understand why people were looking for someone to lash out at it, becasue this entire thing seems like complete nonsense to everyone in the community that hears about it.. What EXACTLY is the issue?
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 March 2021, 14:13:39 by Havattack »

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #203 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 14:36:55 »
What EXACTLY is the issue?

Frankly, that's none of our business.  People are working together to ensure any prior rights are respected and the set designer is able to achieve their vision.  In the fullness of time they will tell us what is possible to run, and we may then make our decisions about the set at that time.  Getting worked up about it now does nothing but dissuade people from being candid about such issues in the future and does nobody any favours.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:01:19 »

Frankly, that's none of our business.  People are working together to ensure any prior rights are respected and the set designer is able to achieve their vision.  In the fullness of time they will tell us what is possible to run, and we may then make our decisions about the set at that time.  Getting worked up about it now does nothing but dissuade people from being candid about such issues in the future and does nobody any favours.
Frankly, that's nonsense. Transparency has always been a part of this community . These are GROUP BUYS. We are INVESTING in a product that has yet to be made, some transparency is a good thing. And not saying is just going to lead to more wild and potentially harmful, speculation. (Whether or not it SHOULD be that way, it is that way.). People are working together to ensure any prior rights are respected   yet this a case where, OBVIOUSLY, there are no prior rights being stepped on.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 March 2021, 21:42:41 by Havattack »

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 00:44:42 »

:thumb:

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 03:31:20 »

Frankly, that's nonsense. Transparency has always been a part of this community . These are GROUP BUYS. We are INVESTING in a product that has yet to be made, some transparency is a good thing. And not saying is just going to lead to more wild and potentially harmful, speculation. (Whether or not it SHOULD be that way, it is that way.). People are working together to ensure any prior rights are respected   yet this a case where, OBVIOUSLY, there are no prior rights being stepped on.

This tbh. Not knowing what exactly caused this isn't exactly ensuring for other keycap designers...

Offline smithbob

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 08:43:50 »

Thank you for confirming that it is in fact MiTo who has stopped the set from going forward.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #208 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 13:10:42 »

:thumb:
yuck

Offline Havattack

« Reply #209 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 13:15:18 »

Thank you for confirming that it is in fact MiTo who has stopped the set from going forward.
Care to elaborate?
The secrecy and lack of transparency, is certainly making that seem more and more possible, but i need some evidence before i come to a solid conclusion.

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #210 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 14:47:54 »

This is not correct. It was not Mito. Please do not make assumptions like this and spread misinformation.

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #211 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 14:49:07 »

This is not correct. It was not Mito. I can say this definitively. Please do not make assumptions like this and spread misinformation.

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #212 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 10:13:58 »

I think it's important to make the distinction that this is still in the IC phase, and that before anyone (apart from the set designer) is investing any money here it will be crystal clear what will be in the set and what will be out.  We have seen a level of transparency here; I don't think the community needs to get daily updates on the correspondence.  If discussions around legal issues are taking place then consider that many lawyers consider being asked to do something in a week is a rush job and so things may take a little while to be figured out.

It is a very bold claim to say that there are obviously no prior rights being stepped on when the keycap set is inspired by a game that is still in copyright.  Since GMK are based in Germany there are an exciting variety of IP rights for them to navigate around.  It's also possible that one or more of the keys planned looks similar to a recently filed trademark application which could have given pause.

Offline GingGing

« Reply #213 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 11:14:19 »
Nice trailer!

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #214 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 13:44:50 »
Care to elaborate?
The secrecy and lack of transparency, is certainly making that seem more and more possible, but i need some evidence before i come to a solid conclusion.

No. There is a line between transparency and private conversations. As this isn't a group buy yet, and nobody has put money into this project outside of the vendor potentially, therefore all conversations being had with the vendors are private conversations. Absolutely no real company would ever divulge private information like this publicly, that would be incredibly unprofessional.

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #215 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 14:56:39 »
Care to elaborate?

No. There is a line between transparency and private conversations. As this isn't a group buy yet, and nobody has put money into this project outside of the vendor potentially, therefore all conversations being had with the vendors are private conversations. Absolutely no real company would ever divulge private information like this publicly, that would be incredibly unprofessional.

This might be true for this set alone.

But since the currently ongoing IP issues with GMK are apparently affecting all other sets as well it would be nice to have at least some form of public statement from GMK about whats going on exactly.
Because right now no keycap set designer really knows what they can and can't do for their sets which creates a really unhealthy climate for this community as a whole.

Frankly no keycap set designer is going to invest any more work and money into a project if he doesn't know for sure that the set won't just get cancelled by GMK in the end...
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 15:00:23 by elmo »

« Reply #216 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:06:08 »
Hey, while this is on hold, at least GMK Hinokoku gets to go into GB  WTF GMK...

"@GMK_Andy come on....What the hell is this and why is it moving forward in GB?  Y'all just posted about how sets with IP can't run any longer.  I could have missed it, but did the designer or Kono provide proof of permission to use these novelties?  They are literally traced from items in the show!!!  Was this set licenses?  Given the cost I doubt it.  Can GMK please please please confirm what guidelines are used to decide when a set can and can't run?  This set is super close to GMK Red Dragon, and damn near a copy of KAT Explosion.  It seems fine for you to run this, but Retrowave was cancelled at first because it was "similar to Laser"  If it really does just boil down to what sets will sell better, or what vendor has better lawyers, tell us.  We can at least give you points for transparency and move forward. "

Offline Langelandia

« Reply #217 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:10:33 »
Hey, while this is on hold, at least GMK Hinokoku gets to go into GB  WTF GMK...

"@GMK_Andy come on....What the hell is this and why is it moving forward in GB?  Y'all just posted about how sets with IP can't run any longer.  I could have missed it, but did the designer or Kono provide proof of permission to use these novelties?  They are literally traced from items in the show!!!  Was this set licenses?  Given the cost I doubt it.  Can GMK please please please confirm what guidelines are used to decide when a set can and can't run?  This set is super close to GMK Red Dragon, and damn near a copy of KAT Explosion.  It seems fine for you to run this, but Retrowave was cancelled at first because it was "similar to Laser"  If it really does just boil down to what sets will sell better, or what vendor has better lawyers, tell us.  We can at least give you points for transparency and move forward. "

Ding MF ding

Offline Brez1623

« Reply #218 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:12:47 »

This ^^^

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #219 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:48:15 »
...since the currently ongoing IP issues with GMK are apparently affecting all other sets as well...

Clearly not if GMK Hinokoku is going ahead :cool:

Before we lay into Andy too much for not having a clear policy... their post of 8 March says that they're trying to put one in place.  So let's give them a bit of time to figure things out before we get the pitchforks.
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 16:51:50 by Adqam64 »

Offline Havattack

« Reply #220 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 20:49:39 »

I think it's important to make the distinction that this is still in the IC phase, and that before anyone (apart from the set designer) is investing any money here it will be crystal clear what will be in the set and what will be out.  We have seen a level of transparency here; I don't think the community needs to get daily updates on the correspondence.  If discussions around legal issues are taking place then consider that many lawyers consider being asked to do something in a week is a rush job and so things may take a little while to be figured out.

It is a very bold claim to say that there are obviously no prior rights being stepped on when the keycap set is inspired by a game that is still in copyright.  Since GMK are based in Germany there are an exciting variety of IP rights for them to navigate around.  It's also possible that one or more of the keys planned looks similar to a recently filed trademark application which could have given pause.
"It is a very bold claim to say that there are obviously no prior rights being stepped on when the keycap set is inspired by a game that is still in copyright
No, it's actually a very simple, TIMID, and objectively correct claim.
Oh jesus...You don't even know what this set is based on... There is NO "game" involved here. This set is based on the "RETROWAVE" scene,(...you know.... the name of the set...google is your friend) similar too Vaporwave, and synthwave, and if your trying to stretch, maybe the cyberpunk THEME, both of which existed LONG before, Cyberpunk the GAME and Laser.
This is BEYOND "obvious" at this point, there is NOTHING used in Retrowave, that Cyberpunk the game, and ABSOLUTELY Laser, have any claim over what so ever.
And THIS is what needs to be elaborated on. We don't want your personal conversations. We want to know why you are pulling this nonsense.
 It seems like you are just trying to protect your own image at this point. You would be better off admitting you guys screwed up, and tried to stop a set for no good reason, and/or based on  faulty information. 
WHY was THIS set, a set that clearly doesn't step on anyone's ip, stopped?
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 23:26:57 by Havattack »

Offline hottnucks

« Reply #221 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 08:47:46 »

Ding MF ding

@GMK_Andy you are perpetuating the speculation and gossip by not being upfront and transparent as to the reason why Retrowave was put on hold and/or refused by GMK. We're not asking to be privy to your private conversations; however, we are asking "Why is GMK refusing to manufacture the Retrowave keyset?" Also, Mito is welcome to come here and express himself, so we can stop accusing him. However, you can see that he's not doing that and I have no doubts that he's seen this thread and knows the accusations against him (he was also confronted on his Discord, but refused to address the issue or refute that he has something to do with this). I'm not saying Mito owes us this, but I know for sure that if my name was being tossed around and accusations were flying about me, I would publicly clear myself immediately if I didn't have a dog in the fight.

TL;DR: GMK won't tell us why they won't make Retrowave as-is and why it's "on-hold." Also, Mito won't say "it wasn't me, I don't have any issues with GMK running this keyset." Therefore, humans are going to human and speculate.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 March 2021, 09:12:27 by hottnucks »

Offline pngu

• send noots
« Reply #222 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 14:30:27 »
Good to have confirmation that it wasn't MiTo who cancelled this! GLWIC

Offline Havattack

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 16 March 2021, 22:25:56 »
So, has GMK grown a conscience and/or just a brain, stopped this absurd garbage, and okayed what is a perfectly fine, obviously not stepping on anyone's "IP", keyset yet?

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #224 on: Wed, 17 March 2021, 06:54:46 »
I'm saving the renders so I can check what novelty gets axed lmao.
That would explain the issue better than any words.

Offline Mark The Weeb

« Reply #225 on: Sun, 21 March 2021, 21:47:48 »
the whole japan neon vibe of this set is really nice !

Offline Havattack

« Reply #226 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 12:47:35 »
Is GMK still being absurd?

Offline Pluto19

• All who break the taboo will be eliminated.
« Reply #227 on: Sun, 28 March 2021, 22:05:28 »
Hopefully we'll hear back from both GMK and Stef this week.

Offline xlon16

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 01:28:56 »
 :p

Offline xlon16

« Reply #229 on: Mon, 29 March 2021, 01:38:48 »
 :p :thumb:

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #230 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 14:10:29 »

I have been in contact with them yesterday to move this ahead. The delay is my fault, I had a death in the family and my child was in the hospital after a fall for a spell, so I was out of office and not following up on this last week.

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 14:22:35 »

I have been in contact with them yesterday to move this ahead. The delay is my fault, I had a death in the family and my child was in the hospital after a fall for a spell, so I was out of office and not following up on this last week.

Hope everything is okay! family always comes first. Really looking forward to this set!

Offline Havattack

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:08:48 »

Hopefully you guys did the right thing, and okayed this set as is, and apologized to them for pulling this nonsense. Since this set is obviously not violating anyone's IP?

Offline jimmythetooth

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:15:33 »

Family first. I hope your kid is feeling better.

Excited to hear this is moving again!

Offline Adqam64

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 15:56:19 »

Sorry for your loss.  I hope that your child is doing better!

Offline SwitchKeys

• SwitchKeys
Re: [IC] GMK Retrowave. [On Hold. UPDATES SOON!]
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 31 March 2021, 22:21:21 »
Hi everyone. Thanks for everyones patience as it's been a while since updates!

Retrowave is at the moment just finishing up discussions with both GMK and potentially affected parties to see if there are any issues (Or indeed what those issues may be)

We hope to be able to share with you the results of those discussions and what it means for the set in the next few days.

Cheers

Stef

Offline Pluto19

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 01:05:13 »
Jeez man. I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences <3
I hope your kiddo is doing better and spirits are up.

Hi everyone. Thanks for everyones patience as it's been a while since updates!

Retrowave is at the moment just finishing up discussions with both GMK and potentially affected parties to see if there are any issues (Or indeed what those issues may be)

We hope to be able to share with you the results of those discussions and what it means for the set in the next few days.

Cheers

Stef

Awesome to hear discussions are wrapping up! Would it be too much to disclose who these "potentially affected parties" are?
Looking forward to the news.

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 04:26:14 »
Would it be too much to disclose who these "potentially affected parties" are?
yeah as a potential customer I'd too like to know. GMK doesn't exactly have a short backlog, this hold virtually added 6 more months to the queue. I want to know who or what to thank for this.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 01 April 2021, 12:51:50 »
Would it be too much to disclose who these "potentially affected parties" are?
yeah as a potential customer I'd too like to know. GMK doesn't exactly have a short backlog, this hold virtually added 6 more months to the queue. I want to know who or what to thank for this.
They are never going to come clean as to what exactly happened here, they simply do not have enough moral fortitude. He even gave a thumbs up to the first person that supported this gross lack of transparency. At this point, it's safe to say that either GMK screwed up all on their own, or possibly at the behest of someone they play favorites with.. judging by their secrecy, probably the very person they're claiming had nothing to do with it.
I just hope this set gets released, and does well enough to get made in another form/company. I'm about done with GMK and their garbage.

That 95Neon got as far as it did, is all the proof i need that GMK claiming this was a an IP issue is full of crap. They were just being errand boys for someone they play favorites with.
I know i would of purchased GMK serenity if this had not gone down.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 April 2021, 21:00:18 by Havattack »

Offline 3yatt

« Reply #239 on: Fri, 09 April 2021, 23:33:41 »
Sooooo... Any updates?

Regardless of transparency, however this ends up will speak volumes about who stands where.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #240 on: Sat, 10 April 2021, 00:12:32 »
Sooooo... Any updates?

Regardless of transparency, however this ends up will speak volumes about who stands where.
It better end with Retrowave going ahead, as is, and with GMK apologizing for mistakenly believing this set was stepping on Laser's IP in anyway. (Or whatever stupid excuse they use for this nonsense.)

Offline Havattack

« Reply #241 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 16:03:14 »
All right, enough. Just get it together GMK. The last thing i want to do is have to boycott the most popular key company in the community.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2021, 16:12:44 by Havattack »

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #242 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 16:22:23 »
All right, enough. Just get it together GMK. The last thing i want to do is have to boycott the most popular key company in the community.

I see you edited and entirely changed your message to something less hateful.

Personally I am mostly tired of seeing the same messages from you in every retrowave, synthwave, vaporwave thread.
I think you made your point and your stance very clear on how you feel.

But I doubt you posting your feelings on the matter every week will change anything and maybe this IC thread is not the best place to do it.
I'm sure GMK has an email you can reach them at.

Hopefully we will get an update on Retrowave soon  :thumb:

Offline Havattack

« Reply #243 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 21:56:41 »

I see you edited and entirely changed your message to something less hateful.

Personally I am mostly tired of seeing the same messages from you in every retrowave, synthwave, vaporwave thread.
I think you made your point and your stance very clear on how you feel.

But I doubt you posting your feelings on the matter every week will change anything and maybe this IC thread is not the best place to do it.
I'm sure GMK has an email you can reach them at.

Hopefully we will get an update on Retrowave soon  :thumb:
Yes, i decided to tone it down, until more info is relieved......Good job undoing that, and for what? Just to let me know you saw i changed my mind? Good job champ. "entirely changed" that's just a lie.
I do not care what you are "tired of" in the least. Stop reading home boi.
 I am letting my opinion known every chance i get, becasue people deserve to know what's going on with a major player in the community, and how they behaving toward us.
"I'm sure GMK has an email you can reach them at."* Well duh. I do not want to have a private conversation with them, i have all ready tried that route, and was ignored. I WANT to make it as public as possible, for the reason all ready stated. I WANT this on the front page, and to  be bumped constantly.
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 April 2021, 22:18:47 by Havattack »

Offline Pluto19

Re: [IC] GMK Retro [On Hold. UPDATES SOON!]
« Reply #244 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 15:54:33 »
Heard we're overdue for an update on the latest and greatest news

Offline GMK_Andy

• * Vendor
« Reply #245 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 17:10:28 »
Seems we have worked out the issues. I have submitted my approval internally for this set pending a few small details, notably that it obviously can't be called "GMK Retro" though, as that set already exists. (https://drop.com/buy/gmk-retro-keycap-set)

GL with GB folks. :thumb:

Offline Pluto19

« Reply #246 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 18:41:35 »
Seems we have worked out the issues. I have submitted my approval internally for this set pending a few small details, notably that it obviously can't be called "GMK Retro" though, as that set already exists. (https://drop.com/buy/gmk-retro-keycap-set)

"Exists" in regards to the name of an idea that never came to fruition?
IIRC it was only made in SP DSA and SP SA unless there was a GMK iteration that flew under the radar

Offline mr_foggy

« Reply #247 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 18:55:49 »
GMK Synthwave maybe?
Whatever it takes to not be confused with that ugly ass poo colored set lmfao.

Finally things are moving forward.

Offline Kotairo

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 19:58:28 »
Oh happy day =] hopefully we can get this shipped out winter 2022.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hottnucks

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 16 April 2021, 23:34:29 »

"Exists" in regards to the name of an idea that never came to fruition?
IIRC it was only made in SP DSA and SP SA unless there was a GMK iteration that flew under the radar

The name of this set was never “GMK Retro” the name of this set was “GMK Retrowave” since the IC started. What’s the problem?