Author Topic: TM680 anyone?  (Read 2653 times)

Offline nyihtway81

TM680 anyone?
« on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 03:43:40 »
I search for TM680/ TOM680 in this forum and surprised that nothing turns up. I was looking for a keyboard kit larger than my current 60% profile (but not as big as 75% or TKL) and Google caught my attention. Videos about this keyboard starting to pop-up in Youtube and it also starting to show up in my online shopping sites. So, yeah, I take the bait. But when I come to this forum and look for more information, I'm surprised that nothing comes up.

Has anyone built this before but hasn't post on this forum? Or this is a really unpopular choice? I ordered the wireless version of this and some Gateron milky yellow switches plus stabs and keycaps to mod. Kindly let me know your opinion.

278036-0

Offline stidal

• milo#3939
Re: TM680 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 06:35:11 »
they have significant pcb issues. have been arriving DOA or dying very quickly out of the box, likely due to bad pcb power/grounding design. if you manage to get a functional one, it's alright. basically a standard oem 65 board with a knob, you get what you pay for
transition tkl // aksara ce // bully // valhalla // voyager // rs60 // adiuvare // ciel60 // jules // prime e // ut47.2 // sequence // bumper // q1 // gaff60

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 08:45:31 »
Can vouch for the above, makes a nice switch tester at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nyihtway81

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 09:24:10 »
they have significant pcb issues. have been arriving DOA or dying very quickly out of the box, likely due to bad pcb power/grounding design. if you manage to get a functional one, it's alright. basically a standard oem 65 board with a knob, you get what you pay for

Can vouch for the above, makes a nice switch tester at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some reviews said it arrived with bad soldering. It's advised to check all the soldering joints to make sure nothing is short-circuited. I'll post a build review later when I received the kit and finish building it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 09:25:27 »

In such a case, it makes an excellent hand-wiring option at a meager cost.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 November 2021, 12:10:31 »
I have been eying getting one for at least a month for something nice and portable to lug around since there aren't enough tiny keyboards with dedicated arrow keys and rotary encoders. I just picked up a Perixx Periboard-428 though to swap some choc jades into for something nice and slim.

It does seem to me that the quality of the PCB is secondary to the layout and cost in this case.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 21:08:24 »
I have been eying getting one for at least a month for something nice and portable to lug around since there aren't enough tiny keyboards with dedicated arrow keys and rotary encoders. I just picked up a Perixx Periboard-428 though to swap some choc jades into for something nice and slim.

It does seem to me that the quality of the PCB is secondary to the layout and cost in this case.

The keyboard you mention is far more expensive than the TM680; therefore, it may be of better quality. I may provide some feedback on the TM680 as I just got one that should arrive later this month. It is for my daughter; therefore, it will see heavy use.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 November 2021, 22:23:52 »

The keyboard you mention is far more expensive than the TM680; therefore, it may be of better quality. I may provide some feedback on the TM680 as I just got one that should arrive later this month. It is for my daughter; therefore, it will see heavy use.

I got the Periboard for $42 and some change on Ebay as an open box, seems unused. They're also on sale for $55 on Amazon at the moment, at least in the states. The jades cost more than the board did. The quality seems pretty good so far.

I'm sure feedback would be appreciated by many. I like that these seem so prolific already that they're selling various alternative knobs for them, and a polycarbonate plate.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 November 2021, 19:50:41 »

I got the Periboard for $42 and some change on Ebay as an open box, seems unused. They're also on sale for $55 on Amazon at the moment, at least in the states. The jades cost more than the board did. The quality seems pretty good so far.

I'm sure feedback would be appreciated by many. I like that these seem so prolific already that they're selling various alternative knobs for them, and a polycarbonate plate.

You got a good deal. I have not seen the poly plate, but I am unsure if it is better than the metal plate for a swappable board; the metal can hold the switches better because it has the proper thickness.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 15 November 2021, 08:57:51 »
The TM680 was delivered a couple of days ago. We applied masking tape underneath the PCB, installed silent pinks, ePBT alphas with GMK double-shot mods. The final result is a keyboard with a deep thock sound and a great feeling. I will report here after a few months of use; so far, it was a great birthday gift for my daughter that loves it. What else can be asked for?