Author Topic: Cherry MX Green first impressions (CMStorm Quickfire Stealth)  (Read 7118 times)

Offline Bwappo

Cherry MX Green first impressions (CMStorm Quickfire Stealth)
« on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 13:23:59 »
After a two month backorder on Amazon, my CMStorm Quickfire Stealth with green cherries finally arrived. For reference, I used an IBM Model M for a long time, then spent the last couple of years on a Razer Blackwidow (blue cherries). I write articles and play MMO computer games.

Green cherry switches bring considerable resistance, and the keyboard bore that out. I haven't typed on switches this heavy since the Model M. While the buckling springs in the Model M felt like they had more "launch" to them (more resistance as you got closer to bottoming out), green cherries feel even all of the way through a keystroke.

The actuation points of the keys sit really high -- the highest I've ever used on a keyboard. Clicking at maybe 30% down, this keyboard seems bent on teaching me not to bottom out on my typing.

Overall, I like the feel of these switches better than the Model M. Green switches offer the same resistance but a smaller "click"/actuation. To put it another way, the lesser "rebound" of the green cherries feels a little more comfortable.

Honestly, I'd like to find a switch with resistance between blues and greens. Even after I break in this keyboard, I think it's going to remain a bit too strong for me.

The keyboard itself made a great first impression: very compact (tenkeyless) with a minimal border, quality non-slippery plastic, and I love the key caps printed on the side instead of the top. My one complaint comes from the LEDs for indicating Windows-key disable, caps lock, etc., which are unbelievably bright. I don't think the brake lights on my truck are that bright. Also, the spacebar seems a little more loose than the rest of the keys, but that may simply come from comparing it to the firmness of the other keys.

Special thanks to the many residents of Geekhack -- I've learned so much lurking here over the years!

Offline joneslee85

• HHKB Scrub JP
  • Professional Rubyist programmer!
    • Ruby Journal
Re: Cherry MX Green first impressions (CMStorm Quickfire Stealth)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:14:20 »
sprit is now selling 70g spring, that might be what you are seeking for
TOO MANY KEYBOARDS THAT I COULD NOT COUNT! BUT I AM STILL USING MY MODEL F77

Offline regack

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 15:20:05 »
sprit is now selling 70g spring, that might be what you are seeking for

You might also have luck with springs from Originative in the 65-67g range...

Offline legodt

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:20:48 »
Gosh the process of replacing all of the springs in a board seems ridiculous. Have you tried MX Clears, OP?

Offline Bwappo

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 23:59:44 »
Thank you for the suggestions, all!

Replacing all the springs in my keyboard is beyond the time investment I want to make, though I appreciate the information on springs to pursue if I change my mind.

I haven't yet tried cherry clears, though I'm getting conflicting information about them. I read that they clock in 65 cN of resistance, which is pretty close to the Cherry Blues I experienced before at 60 cN. However, I read that Cherry blues are supposed to be 50 cN instead. Perhaps 60 cN is not the same as 60g of resistance? Again, this goes beyond my knowledge range.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 03:19:28 »
I thought greens were 80g at actuation (but that will be less than what it takes to overcome the tactile bump) and like 105g at the bottom.

Blues are 50g at actuation, 60g to overcome the tactile bump and 65g at bottom out. 

I'm not sure what the force needed to overcome the bump on greens is but my guess is somewhere around 90g. 

Offline legodt

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 12:32:50 »
All I know is that greens/blacks require hammer fingers to type on for extended periods of time.

Offline geogga

• gosh dang GH and their GBs
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:43:58 »
Aren't greens heavier than blacks? And blacks are just heavier versions of reds if memory serves right.
Greens are heavier versions of blues too right?

And to OP, you mentioned you had blues, and you said that you would rather have a switch inbetween green and blue, presumably because greens are a bit too heavy. Do you feel like greens are heavier versions of blues?
I was also inquiring about clears although I havnt gotten a full understanding of what makes it so special/rare and enjoyable.
Topres are fortunately my next keyboard :)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:46:12 »
Perhaps 60 cN is not the same as 60g of resistance? Again, this goes beyond my knowledge range.

Just FYI, 1 cN of force is about 1g force.

1g = 1.02 cN

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 13:50:23 »
I've not typed on Greens (I just have one Green switch on my CM switch tester), but I've typed on Blacks a lot, and I feel that Greens would require a lot more effort overall to type on vs. Blacks.  All the tactile switches add a bump that one needs to overcome before reaching the actuation point, and the force required to overcome that bump is higher than the force of pushing down on the switch at the actuation point.  So you do more work with tactile switches vs. linear, even if both use the same spring. 

Blues use the same spring as Reds and Browns, but I could definitely feel a significant amount of resistance from typing on Blues vs. a very relaxing experience of typing on Browns and even too-light on Reds.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:01:57 »
Oh goodness, someone broke all the taboos and said that they liked Greens more than a Model M. I am impressed.  :D
Nice review. I had Greens for a time and they definitely taught me not to bottom out, but I sold mine after I realized that I'd like a clicky switch lighter than Blues.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 January 2014, 22:40:46 »
I like my greens, although I haven't used them for a few weeks now as my one and only MX green keyboard is at work.

I seem to recall that they felt little different to blacks to me.

If anything, perhaps marginally lighter.  Although I might have been distracted listening for the clicks (having migrated to greens from blacks).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Bwappo

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 16 January 2014, 21:33:24 »
Aren't greens heavier than blacks? And blacks are just heavier versions of reds if memory serves right.

And to OP, you mentioned you had blues, and you said that you would rather have a switch inbetween green and blue, presumably because greens are a bit too heavy. Do you feel like greens are heavier versions of blues?

Greens definitely feel heavier than blues. Significantly heavier. I prefer greens over blues at this point, but yeah, greens are heavy. I remember trying blacks at one point, and not liking their lower resistance. The lack of actuation made me feel like I really crammed keys to the bottom. To be sure, I still have serious bottoming out habits, but the greens are slowly reforming me.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 17 January 2014, 02:37:18 »

Greens definitely feel heavier than blues. Significantly heavier. I prefer greens over blues at this point, but yeah, greens are heavy. I remember trying blacks at one point, and not liking their lower resistance. The lack of actuation made me feel like I really crammed keys to the bottom. To be sure, I still have serious bottoming out habits, but the greens are slowly reforming me.

Greens are definitely heavier than blacks.

At the moment I am enjoying greens at work and blacks at home.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 13:53:57 »
heavier and even sound different...........better to be exact- very crisp

i like them better than blues at the moment, but that will only last for a day or so

the only blacks i have r vintage and very smooth, so probably not a good measuring stick
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 15:18:21 »
I have three keyboards with blacks now.  One is old enough to have vintage blacks, but the switches don't look vintage.  The second is a QFR about a year old (since I bought it).  The third is a new Ducky Yellow Edition.  The oldest and newest have smooth black switches, the QFR always seems a bit ... gritty.

I am typing this on a QFS with greens.  The greens feel smooth, have the same sound as blues, but probably overall sound different because they have thicker PBT keycaps than my board with blues, and because I use a bit more force when typing and thus bottom out differently.