Author Topic: Feenix Autore Review  (Read 10273 times)

Offline whileycoyote

Feenix Autore Review
« on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 19:49:42 »
51993-0

Hey so ive had the feenix autore for nearly a month now I believe, so I feel pretty familiar at this point to leave a solid review.

I will be splitting up the review into the following categories : Aesthetics, Feel, Build Quality, Purchasing Practicality, and Functionality

Now for those who want more information you can get it at: http://www.feenixcollection.com/autore.html

As for the keyboards ive used before this: Das brown (costar version), filco, and cooler master red switch

Aesthetics:

Now obviously as most people have already mentioned the aesthetics on the autore are probably one of the best if not the best out there. The website says the design was inspired by the monolith in the space oddyssey, whether this is true or marketing BS... I dont know... but Its just simply a very stunning and elegant keyboard. The subtle font is my favorite part about it because when its sitting on your desk it looks like a blank keyboard, almost like a solid slab of metal, but up close when your sitting at your desk the font shines through in just the most amazing yet subtle way. The whole thing is aluminum COATED not full aluminum, but this adds to the aesthetic appeal and gives the keyboard an amazing look. The sharp edges all around combined with the minimalist design just look great. Nothing really else to say about aesthetics. For people that try and say their custom keyboards they built look better.... all i have to say is... no... it doesn't. You need to be a high end designer to get something to look good in the same artistic essence.

Feel:

So the feel on the autore is one of the most interesting and unique things about it. So its a brown switch, but as some notable gamers who use feenix products have been saying... it DOESNT feel like brown switch. It honestly feels right inbetween brown and red. I dont really know how to explain this other than the keycaps are so fluid and effortlessly light that the actuation force is noticeably different than the browns Ive used or owned in the past (mainly being my DAS). The tactile bump is still there in the browns, but its definitely not as HEFTY... so hard to explain... one of those things you really need to try in person. But as for what Im using, this has officially become my favorite keyboard, since im getting essentially best of both worlds from the red and brown switch. Its really personal preference, but what sets this keyboard apart is that ive never felt a brown like this. It feels more like reds that I have used in the past in all honesty... I even had to check the keycaps to make sure they were actually browns....  As for the material the aluminum coating is once again a UNIQUE feel. I think this is personal preference again as well but the coating on this feels like a slightly more textured feel than what is on the back of your iphone 5.... not sure if that really helps... But overall I have to say I like this material better than anything else Ive ever used. It just feels nice. Same way an iphone feels nice. But even functionality wise it is very easy and comfortable to type on. The angle of the keyboard is good as well, subtle upward tilt but not so much that you get wrist cramps. The only thing that you can do to the keyboard to improve the feel in my opinion is add a wristpad, apart from that its flawless.

Build Quality:

So many people have wondered whether its fully aluminum or aluminum coated. Its aluminum coated.... but its actually very hard to tell even when you get it... I know that makes me sound stupid but the coating is not just a coating, its very immaculate and because the plastic is so well put together I had to look at the keyboard for a solid minute before I could tell if it was real aluminum or not. Thats because its so heavy, and there are no hallow points to the case really. There is no break in the case either. What I mean by that is its like a unibody case. There is no area where you see that one plastic piece is screwed onto the other, its a very well fitted unibody case. Theres a gold steel plate (not actual gold just gold colored for aesthetics) running through the length of the case. This metal plate actually goes across the entire keyboard without any breaks, unlike some of the other plates you see running through like on some of those rosewills. There is literally no space where water can spill through the keycaps. I havent spilled anything on it, and I dont really want to... but I imagine if I did nothing would happen.. the liquid would just collect on top of that plate. This also  makes it easy for cleaning as well. The edging and everything is pristine, honestly no assembly or manufacturing defect of any kind that I can see. Only thing I did notice was that when a lock key is lit, the white led slightly glows through into the other lock key light holes. I think they could maybe add seperate chambers for these key lock light holes so its independently lit. The usb connection is modular as well, which i was apprehensive about... but the fit is so perfect. This actually makes me love modular cable designs, theres a weirdly satisfying sensation when you plug the usb cable into the back, it just goes in so nicely. So do I wish it was full aluminum? Im not sure on that one yet. Just because its so heavy to me already, and I dont know how much more expensive a full unibody aluminum case would have been. Id like to get input from one of their engineers as to why they didnt just go balls to the walls full aluminum. (Im thinking its a cost related issue) Lastly, the keycaps I have been told are double polyurethane coated. According to some review articles that came up during CES this is actually one of the only keyboards with this kind of PU coating. So from what I have been told the keycaps shouldnt wear at all. But obviously I havent used it enough to test this... but i have tried scratching the font with sharp objects and nothing really happened to it.. so I guess thats a good sign.

Purchasing Practicality:

This is the double edged sword for the autore... (and any feenix product for that matter). You can only buy direct from them. So you get amazing customer service, quality checking on the product, and after purchase support. But you dont get super cheap shipping, you dont get discounts you usually find from amazon or some similar retailer. And the price in general... I think its a bit high. The double PU coating on the keycaps apparently were one of the main reasons for this price hike, and probably the aluminum coating and the metal plate... who knows. But I think if it wasnt such a boutique and restricted purchasing environment it would probably be cheaper. SO obviously no competition means they can price it however they want. Also international customers are getting the shaft because they have to pay EVEN more for shipping. So this is whats going to be the main deciding factor I think for most people that are interested, but can get something for cheaper with free shipping. Id like to see Feenix products not be so exclusive in the future.

Functionality:

There is almost no functionality to the keyboard. Its simple. I personally LOVE that. Plug and play with any OS, and just so minimalist. But this is something thats purely personal preference of what you need. I dont neeed backlighting with an LCD screen and macros... so its perfect for me.

Conclusion:

It is my new full time keyboard. It has beat out my 3 other keyboards, das, filco, CM. Take with that what you will. Im not the most experienced out there so obviously I havent used Topres, or any greens or ergos. But for the mainstream stuff I have used I like it the best. 

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: Feenix Autore Review
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 19:58:15 »
Nice review, thank you  :thumb:
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:34:29 »
Nice review - but shouldn't it be in the Reviews section?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:35:13 »

#rowdy4mod2014

Offline Reomero

• Manual breather
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:37:52 »
Out of curiousity...

What's the printing method used on the caps?

And does it use Costar or Cherry stabilisers?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:38:56 »

#rowdy4mod2014

:))
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:41:41 »
I want to call bias on this because every negative of the keyboard is simply glossed over or ignored outright. I would hope that the first review of a hyped keyboard like this wasn't all hype, but I was sadly mistaken.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C
Current best: 162 wpm.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:44:12 »
I want to call bias on this because every negative of the keyboard is simply glossed over or ignored outright. I would hope that the first review of a hyped keyboard like this wasn't all hype, but I was sadly mistaken.

Or maybe the negatives are simply not important to the OP.

Unless it was a glaringly obvious fault that significantly impacted on the functionality of the keyboard, then many people would just accept it as it is.

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:44:38 »
Can't you disassemble it and show us how thick and well made its casing is? Also, its PCB and soldering?

And of course, could you check if there's a small molding mark at the rear part of the keycaps, like this (just check behind the Esc key)?
http://imageshack.com/a/img834/9792/dpgs.jpg

And if there's none, can you check under the left CTRL key if there are number codes like these (no need for it to be exactly B10-02, I just want to know if there are codes like these or not):
http://imageshack.com/a/img716/2876/whpq.jpg
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 January 2014, 21:07:58 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 20:48:39 »
Considering that it seems like a direct comparison to the Filco, at the same price, I would be curious as to the feel.

If it was real aluminum, that would be awesome, but an aluminum coating on plastic is just something else to wear off or fail. Especially keys.

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline whileycoyote

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 21:17:46 »
Can't you disassemble it and show us how thick and well made its casing is? Also, its PCB and soldering?

And of course, could you check if there's a small molding mark at the rear part of the keycaps, like this (just check behind the Esc key)?

And if there's none, can you check under the left CTRL key if there are number codes like these (no need for it to be exactly B10-02, I just want to know if there are codes like these or not):

This will be my next step after a video of me typing on it. Im just kind of hesitant on disassembling too much. It was quite an investment :)

Offline wetto

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 21:24:26 »

This will be my next step after a video of me typing on it. Im just kind of hesitant on disassembling too much. It was quite an investment :)

There's nothing to be afraid of, son, hahaha! Unless it has crappy plastic locks just as your Das Keyboard has (do not disassemble your Das, you'll regret doing that), it won't break or anything :)

Anyways, can you check those keycaps?
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline whileycoyote

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 21:27:12 »

There's nothing to be afraid of, son, hahaha! Unless it has crappy plastic locks just as your Das Keyboard has (do not disassemble your Das, you'll regret doing that), it won't break or anything :)

Anyways, can you check those keycaps?

I dont see any number codes on the ctrl key

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 21:37:54 »

Unless it was a glaringly obvious fault that significantly impacted on the functionality of the keyboard, then many people would just accept it as it is.

The price doesn't matter. The material of the keycaps doesn't matter. Oh, look, there are zero things that it can do besides be a keyboard, what a great bonus! Oh, you can't get discounts and can only order direct, how great! The coating isn't a coating!
Come on.
Quickfire TK MX Blue Corsair K60 MX Red Ducky Shine 3 Yellow TKL MX Blue Leopold FC660C

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 22 January 2014, 21:58:16 »

The price doesn't matter. The material of the keycaps doesn't matter. Oh, look, there are zero things that it can do besides be a keyboard, what a great bonus! Oh, you can't get discounts and can only order direct, how great! The coating isn't a coating!
Come on.

What are you on about?  This keyboard is clearly more about aesthetics and unusual materials / appearance.  If you don't like it and have a problem with it, then you can buy any of the remainder of the keyboards that suit your needs.  Those things are subjective and are not negatives.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:43:33 »
Keycaps do a LOT to change the feel of switches. I went from a Cherry MX Brown board with PBT caps (albeit probably cheaper/thinner ones), to a Filco MX Brown board with ABS caps. The switches feel completely different, even though I know they are the same. I think the softness of the ABS caps make the Brown switches feel a little more messier, and not as articulate, when compared to the more brittle/stiffer PBT caps, which make the Brown switches feel "cleaner".

That said, I'm going to purchase a set of PBTs for my Filco.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 January 2014, 02:45:41 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 03:18:26 »

Come on.

Are you feeling unwell? Perhaps you should see a physician. I'm all for diverse opinions and constructive discussions, but there always seems to be a shaft lodged in a deep, dark chasm of yours whenever you post. It must really chafe.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 07:44:00 »
I dislike aluminium-coloured plastic. It is as tacky as blue LEDs, and you know that it will look really bad once then coating is a bit worn.
🍉

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 18:51:15 »
Anyone with real life experience on this "Polyurethane layer alongside our aluminum coating"?

Is it effectively more durable than the typical high quality PBT dye sub as suggested by FEENIX?

I think it looks really cool, but at 163 + shipping. I'm expecting irreproachable quality.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 19:20:01 »

Come on.

Are you feeling unwell? Perhaps you should see a physician. I'm all for diverse opinions and constructive discussions, but there always seems to be a shaft lodged in a deep, dark chasm of yours whenever you post. It must really chafe.

I hope you can get your head out of said chasm and realize that the keyboard is absolute trash, and it's insulting to price it at twice its actual worth. However, given how bent you are in attempting to insult me without actually opening your eyes, you'll probably decide on some other childish ad hominem attack and nothing else. Glad to see what kind of mature people we have on geekhack.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 23 January 2014, 19:54:24 »
Cool stuff, thanks for the review. Some more/nicer pictures would be beneficial, especially since its such a nice keyboard aesthetically.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 27 January 2014, 04:03:06 »
Anyone with real life experience on this "Polyurethane layer alongside our aluminum coating"?

Is it effectively more durable than the typical high quality PBT dye sub as suggested by FEENIX?

I think it looks really cool, but at 163 + shipping. I'm expecting irreproachable quality.
1 famous keyboard used PU coated caps. Older Filco with pad printed legends. Remember how fast they wear? That's one of the lowest quality coating...

Offline gastevens

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 14:26:15 »
Here are some comparison pics I took of my Feenix Autore and my Rosewill RK-9000, both with MX Browns.

As you can see, the external assembly appears identical--I believe they were both assembled in the same factory in Taiwan (Costar?). The keycaps are thin, though the Rosewill caps feel a bit chunkier, and I think a bit nicer, than the Feenix. I've been using the Feenix for two days, the Rosewill was my main for about three months (I am at  keyboard for most of the day, note wear on the Rosewill keycaps). The coating on the Feenix feels a bit "drier" than the Rosewill, and doesn't show any of the oils from typing that the Rosewill did within the first hour of use.

I like the Feenix Autore, but this is not in my mind an upgrade from the Rosewill--which is tough for me to say, because I want the company to succeed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 January 2014, 14:30:13 by gastevens »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 02:35:53 »
One thing the OP didn't mention: How much did you pay?

So it seems to be a Rosewill with "aluminium coating" and a nice font on the thin ABS caps. How much does the comparable Rosewill cost?
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 02:46:08 »
One thing the OP didn't mention: How much did you pay?

So it seems to be a Rosewill with "aluminium coating" and a nice font on the thin ABS caps. How much does the comparable Rosewill cost?

amazon.com

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 03:39:31 »
Interesting... around $70 extra just for the looks. I wonder how long the coating on the caps will last. I Would definitely rather just buy a Rosewill or Filco. I'd replace the keycaps with thick POM or PBT anyway and lose the fancy looks. Functionality over aesthetics for me.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Linkbane

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 10:19:44 »
Interesting... around $70 extra just for the looks. I wonder how long the coating on the caps will last. I Would definitely rather just buy a Rosewill or Filco. I'd replace the keycaps with thick POM or PBT anyway and lose the fancy looks. Functionality over aesthetics for me.

Agreed. While it may look nice on the outside (although not worth >$160 to me), it's not going to look good in a couple of months when it's faded clean.

Offline kmiller8

• Banned
  •  Post Reporting Timeout
  • Who is that kmiller8 guy?
« Reply #27 on: Wed, 29 January 2014, 10:22:48 »

four ****ty comparison pictures does not make one board equivalent to another.

Take the thing apart and show us the PCBs

Show a better picture comparing the cases, an offset label with a similar QC sticker doesn't mean anything.

Offline gastevens

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 00:25:46 »
I unscrewed the back of the key Autore and breached the seal, but was unable to separate the cover from the base without marring either section. Any tips?

Offline wetto

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:46:02 »
I unscrewed the back of the key Autore and breached the seal, but was unable to separate the cover from the base without marring either section. Any tips?

I may be mistaken, but there probably are some plastic locks which prevent you from opening it up. Try using an old credit card, similar to how this guy did to open his CM Quick Fire Rapid:

Also, did you check under its rubber feet?

But anyways, those keycaps are surely from a Taiwanese supplier, which probably means the Feenix is a Costar keyboard (which doesn't essentially means it's made on the same factory as others, Costar is just a middle-man who manages the stuff).
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 January 2014, 09:49:47 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 19 February 2014, 23:07:17 »
Loved the review man, been looking to see a review for one of these for quite some time now.

Great job man, 5/5
你搞砸了