Author Topic: Killed by Kaps Review  (Read 3421 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Killed by Kaps Review
« on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:08:51 »
HipsterPunks recently started selling some caps he's been playing with making, so I figured I should do a little review of the one I got.  Keep in mind that these are still prototype-ish and he is improving the design and molds, so some of the things I mention are likely to be improved on or changed.  Instead, take this as a review at one stage of his evolution.

First off PICTURES!

Bottom

Sprue Side

First Impressions

When I first picked up the cap, I was shocked with how light it is.  I'm taking a wild guess and assuming he uses Alumilite Regular, a.k.a. Super Casting Resin since it has a similar feel to the ones made by jiggityjane.

Overall, I'm pretty impressed by the quality of the cast.  Admittedly, it would benefit from the eyes being slightly less depressed so you can more easily see the design, but the quality of the cast in terms of level of detail and his commitment to improvement is definitely there.  If you look closely, you can see the cracks in the sealant he put over the master the cap was cast from.  Sadly, unlike my Derp Cap v2, there are no fingerprints, so it's lacking that more intimate touch...of course, that's probably a plus for most people.

He also thought about how to make the cap more solid.  Taking a note from other cap crafters, he filled the base of his master some and thickened up the walls, making the cap nice and thick. That's a detail that's, unfortunately, missing from some caps.  My Boost RoboGeek is one such cap like that, though his latter SuperHero is nice and thick.  The result is a more solid and durable feeling cap, even if it is rather light.

The one quibble I had with the design is that the cap is backwards.  The slope is on the back side of the cap instead of the leading edge.  When I mentioned that to HipsterPunks, he stated that was an artistic choice. 

I could also make mention of how large the sprue is, but it generally blends into the cap and he's done a good job of sanding it down to a less noticeable size.  It's an issue that every cap maker has to play with to find out what works for them and how to best do it.  From messages with him, HipsterPunks is working on figuring out some ways to improve the sprueing and make it less noticeable.  And, for those of you who have never had to do sprueing, it's a *****.  Every master needs a different sprue setup and sometimes what you think will work best for a design doesn't, at least not with gravity and pressure casting.  You need vacuum casting or spin casting to make sprueing easier.

Trying it out

When I tossed the cap on the stem, the first thing I noticed was how tight the stem is.  If you've ever tried your hand at making caps, you know how easy it is to mess a stem up.  I know I've screwed up more than my fair share and I've had ones that started out great and got worse as the mold was used more.  So it's pretty exciting to see someone just starting to pretty much perfectly nail stem tightness.

This is the other area where an issue popped up.  While packing the bottom of the cap around the stem can make a more solid cap, you have to be careful to not overdo it.  It's an easy mistake to make since you don't always think about the switch all the way through when you make the master.  The cap works, it just sits a little high and doesn't have the most comfortable feeling when bottoming out.  I talked to HipsterPunks and made him aware of why the cap bottoms out like it does and he said it will be addressed in future molds.  Like I said, it's a learning process and he seems more than willing to take constructive criticism and improve on his design.  Give him another couple of months to a year and I'm sure he'll be banging out perfect caps every time.

Final Words

Whether you like the design or not, HipsterPunks is off to a great start with his Killed by Kaps resin cast custom caps.  While I have some minor issues with them, he's learning, taking constructive criticism, and applying it to improving his caps and designs.  If I saw another design of his I liked pop up in the classifieds, I'd grab it in a heartbeat since I know the quality is there and only getting better.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:14:54 by nubbinator »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: Killed by Kaps Review
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:15:04 »
Great review! I was wondering where all those mummy caps were coming from!  :eek:
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:36:28 »
Wow this is an awesome review from one cap creator to another!
Can I ask what the sprue looks like?

Good review! :) Love these caps.  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:48:01 »
Here's examples of plastic sprueing:

More

If you look at the bodies and the plastic connected to them, the plastic rods leading to the body are the sprue.

Here's a resin mold:

More

The large hole on the right is the sprue (albeit a massive one) and the hole on the left is a vent for air and overflow to escape.

Edit:  I should say it's not one of my molds.
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:55:57 by nubbinator »

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 21:51:13 »
Here's examples of plastic sprueing:

More
Show Image

If you look at the bodies and the plastic connected to them, the plastic rods leading to the body are the sprue.

Here's a resin mold:

More
Show Image

The large hole on the right is the sprue (albeit a massive one) and the hole on the left is a vent for air and overflow to escape.

Oh wow, thanks for the photos. Its awesome learning more about cap crafting.  :thumb:

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 28 February 2014, 22:02:40 »
That was really interesting to read. The whole process of how you guys produce these caps is fascinating to me. There are so many details to think about to end up with a useable cap.

Offline HipsterPunks

• Gangmember
  • * Maker
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 March 2014, 07:31:23 »
Wow thank you such much for taking the time to write this review up. As i look up to you and binge this truly means a lot to me, and keeps the fires lit to keep turning out and improving my caps. You have been extremely helpful when i hit a couple walls on how to improve, and your suggestions/and tips have already helped me work out kinks i personally couldn't find a solution to. I am inspired by you guys every.single.day so it goes without saying i owe you dudes a lot for making it this far.

best regards and thank you again!
sell out and eat ass