Author Topic: NEC APC-H412 review (NEC blue ovals)  (Read 8005 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
NEC APC-H412 review (NEC blue ovals)
« on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 10:50:23 »
After many many requests to review blue ovals, here it finally it; an NEC APC-H412, with Cindy's favourite switches! Hope you enjoy! :)

Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline ThoughtArtist

Re: NEC APC-H412 review (NEC blue ovals)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 31 July 2016, 21:56:46 »
Nice. It's such a lovely looking switch. I love the modular design. So cool. This is yet another design that emphasizes how pathetic a majority of modern keyboards have become.

I wonder how a linearised version of these would compare with the linearised Black Alps. I think I'm becoming a linear switch ****. I just can't get over how great my linearised "piss yellow" Dell At-101 feels. I just become one with it and its yellowy piss glory.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 July 2016, 23:14:07 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 03:29:59 »
Nice. It's such a lovely looking switch. I love the modular design. So cool. This is yet another design that emphasizes how pathetic a majority of modern keyboards have become.

I wonder how a linearised version of these would compare with the linearised Black Alps. I think I'm becoming a linear switch ****. I just can't get over how great my linearised "piss yellow" Dell At-101 feels. I just become one with it and its yellowy piss glory.
You can linearise these I guess, but it would be irreversible. You can also get NOS linear switches (the piss ones), I think I got mine from Taobao.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 05:10:07 »
Hmm. I guess you could call these "beefy montereys" ?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 05:54:19 »
Sorry, I haven't had time to watch the video yet, so please forgive me if you answered this in the video.

The switches seem to me to be very fragile - it doesn't take much to break the little rivets or whatever that hold them together.  This happened to one of mine, and I ended up with a little pile of parts.  I eventually replaced the switch with a new (to me) one.

If you wanted to linearise the switches (which I don't), can you actually put the switches back together?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 06:38:20 »
Yes, actually! That's not too far off :) .

Sorry, I haven't had time to watch the video yet, so please forgive me if you answered this in the video.

The switches seem to me to be very fragile - it doesn't take much to break the little rivets or whatever that hold them together.  This happened to one of mine, and I ended up with a little pile of parts.  I eventually replaced the switch with a new (to me) one.

If you wanted to linearise the switches (which I don't), can you actually put the switches back together?
XMIT also broke the rivets on several switches of his, that's how I knew how to pull the keycaps safely. It's really no problem if you're aware they're fragile.

As for linearising it; that should be really easy actually, you wouldn't even need to desolder the switches. Because the design is so modular in nature, all you need to do is take the rivets off the clicker compartment (a hobby knife is perfect) and take out the click leaf, it's that simple. Of course, the broken rivets mean it's a one-way mod. Not saying you SHOULD linearise these as I haven't tried a board with them in, just that you could if you wanted to.

Offline ThoughtArtist

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 01 August 2016, 23:00:35 »

XMIT also broke the rivets on several switches of his, that's how I knew how to pull the keycaps safely. It's really no problem if you're aware they're fragile.

As for linearising it; that should be really easy actually, you wouldn't even need to desolder the switches. Because the design is so modular in nature, all you need to do is take the rivets off the clicker compartment (a hobby knife is perfect) and take out the click leaf, it's that simple. Of course, the broken rivets mean it's a one-way mod. Not saying you SHOULD linearise these as I haven't tried a board with them in, just that you could if you wanted to.

If it's one way then I wouldn't. I didn't realize at first that you had to break off rivets.

I thought if it was reversible, like in the Alps, then it would be interesting to try.

Anyway, I just found a Zenith ZKB-2 and I will see how it compares with the linearised Dell. I'm re-watching your review of it. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 01 August 2016, 23:54:45 by ThoughtArtist »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 02:15:30 »

'Twas from XMIT that my replacement switch was sourced :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 03:52:35 »
bolt/screw modding a model M is one thing, what about screw modding a switch :p. it could be done but you would need a 0.5mm screw if not smaller xD
SMK 2nd Gen Blue Alps mount <3

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 05:01:51 »
bolt/screw modding a model M is one thing, what about screw modding a switch :p. it could be done but you would need a 0.5mm screw if not smaller xD
Yeah good luck with that xD .

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 05:21:25 »

If the rivets were bigger I would use some tech deck screws xD

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 05:37:34 »

I''m sure someone could come up with some brilliant mod for these if they were more mainstream and people could afford more to experiment with them xD .

Offline Aran.E99

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 02 August 2016, 05:48:20 »

I''m sure someone could come up with some brilliant mod for these if they were more mainstream and people could afford more to experiment with them xD .

Im so tempted to but I know that it will break and you can't buy ovals xD

Can you imagine that: 102 * 4 = 408 screws and 408 tiny precise holes drilled xD

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 00:49:45 »
Finally watched the review - another great rundown of the keyboard :)

Your has a PS/2 plug?

My APC-H4100E has an AT plug.  I have successfully used an AT to PS/2 adapter, and an Id Innovations PS/2 to USB converter to use my NEC on my Mac.  I figure if the keyboard works in that situation it will probably work anywhere.

TechKeys used to sell the Id Innovations adapters, but they are not listed any more.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 07 August 2016, 04:41:05 »
Yes, both have a PS/2 plug. Which makes sense as the 412 seems to be the successor of the 410 :) .