Author Topic: HHKB Pro on sale on this shop... any experiences?  (Read 3407 times)

Offline xyzzy

HHKB Pro on sale on this shop... any experiences?
« on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 17:50:21 »
First of all hello to everybody, I've been silently lurking the forum for a few weeks after discovering it.... finally an english language forum on keyboards! Greeeeat! (Can't understand much of the japanese ones except for the images...)

Second, a little background of myself. I'm a full time programmer, and always hated membrane keyboards. My favorite board is the Model M (I have 3, just in case), but lately I had to switch to a smaller desk and the Model M isn't exactly the most compact keyboard around.

Moreover (because of recurring wrist pain) I switched from the mouse to a graphic tablet (wonderful!!), so I started looking for a compact keyboard which didn't force me to keep the tablet too far away on the right and found a nice Cherry 11900 on eBay.

I quite like it (the trackpad close to the keys is a big plus) except that it has black Cherry linear switches and I miss the click of my Model M.

So, I'm again looking for possible alternatives. One could be the HHKB Pro (though I'm not sure if I would get used to the US layout as I'm in Europe and frequently need access to accents and characters like ç ñ ¡ ¿ etc) and I've found it on sale for around 200 USD here (plus shipping).

Anyone had any experiences with that site? Do you know if they're reliable? They look ok, but who knows....

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline karlito

• http://altitudegame.com
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 18:31:20 »
dont know much about European keyboard layouts but it appears to me that you simple press the Right Alt key and then some other key and it makes those funky characters.

If that is the case and even if it's not you should check out autohotkey.com cause it can solve a lot of missing keys woes.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

I believe what you want is called AltGr (alternate graving) which appears to simple be LControl & RAlt held down at the same time.

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 28 November 2007, 19:02:25 »
Quote from: karlito
dont know much about European keyboard layouts but it appears to me that you simple press the Right Alt key and then some other key and it makes those funky characters.

If that is the case and even if it's not you should check out autohotkey.com cause it can solve a lot of missing keys woes.

http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

I believe what you want is called AltGr (alternate graving) which appears to simple be LControl & RAlt held down at the same time.

Thanks for the hint. For the AltGr to work I guess it would be enough to set the US International layout and most of the characters would be available via AltGr+key combinations. The missing ones I could remap with AutoHotkey.

Guess I'll have to start saving for that HHKB Pro.... the more I look at it, the more I like it.....  :twisted:

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)