Author Topic: which is the most ergonomic trackball ?  (Read 25168 times)

Offline JorgeHellraiser

which is the most ergonomic trackball ?
« on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:35:53 »
I'm thinking about buying one of these 3 trackballs: Kensington Slimblade, Elecom Deft Pro or Elecom Huge; but, which is the most ergonomic trackball?
The most important thing to my is the ergonomic (I dont care so much about extra buttons, for example).

In my opinion, maybe the Kensington one is the worst, because I think the hand doesnt rest; but I'm not sure because I haven't been able to test any of these
Thanks

Offline meshcapo

Re: which is the most ergonomic trackball ?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 18:57:15 »
I'm thinking about buying one of these 3 trackballs: Kensington Slimblade, Elecom Deft Pro or Elecom Huge; but, which is the most ergonomic trackball?
The most important thing to my is the ergonomic (I dont care so much about extra buttons, for example).

In my opinion, maybe the Kensington one is the worst, because I think the hand doesnt rest; but I'm not sure because I haven't been able to test any of these
Thanks
Hi JorgeHellraiser.

I am not sure what your budget is but I think a combination of a vertical mouse and trackball is pretty comfortable. If you are interested I would suggest the Logitech MX Ergo or the Kensington Pro Fit Ergo Vertical.

Offline JorgeHellraiser

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 April 2020, 13:59:28 »
I have a logitech m570 but i wanted change to one of these three

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 08:00:27 »
Ergonomics are all about comfort so no-one can really answer this for you.  If you have small hands the huge will probably be too big, but if your hand is big your thumb could over-reach the scroll wheel on the Deft then that won't work well for you.  I agree that the Slimblade doesn't look great as the ball looks very high compared to the casing, though if you live somewhere hot I guess a floating hand would be more comfortable than a sweaty rested one...

Helpful I know - I'm currently looking too!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline JorgeHellraiser

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 08:07:44 »
My hand size is 7,283465 inches or 18,5cm. my hands usually dont have sweat

Offline Namaste

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 02 May 2020, 21:42:10 »
I think the Huge/Deft are in a different school to the Expert/Slimblade/L-Trac/T50.

With the latter school, I actually prefer the Expert to the Slimblade (not tried an L-Trac), as the palm rest is more relaxing, and you don't have to float. The latter school also allows you to manipulate the ball with your palm, which I personally find more precise and quicker then using my finger tips.

That said, for more general use I find the Huge (not used the Deft) more relaxing, especially with the extra customisable buttons, which means less movement.

So I actually use both, Expert in the left hand and Huge in the right hand, and switch between the two depending on what I'm doing.

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 01:52:22 »
I say absolutely the deft. The high end gaming one.

Offline knightjp

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 10:36:12 »
I'm currently using the Elecom HUGE and I like it. I've had the Slimblade and it didn't last long. Actually one of the buttons failed. The main one.
So far the HUGE is great. The scrolling took a little while to get used to. The scrolling on the Slimblade is so intuitive. If you were to ask me which one is more ergonomic, I would say the Slimblade its operating seems to come more easily to hand and feels natural right out of the box.
Long terms usage can give a different story. In terms of the HUGE, the way that it is designed to fit the hand is so nice that you can easily use it for hours without even noticing. I had the same experience with the Kensington but not with this many buttons and levels of functionality.
All in all, because of its features, I would have to say, the HUGE is my choice.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 18 September 2020, 17:22:23 »
I have heard from hardcore trackball users with hand issues they use two and switch between them to keep their hands from repetitive motion. One center/orbit style, and one mouse-grip style.

I just ordered a Marble myself because it was $24 and I'm not dropping $100 on a trackball I may not even like.
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 September 2020, 17:24:23 by noisyturtle »

Offline JacobMitchell

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 13 November 2020, 10:30:53 »
I think the Huge/Deft are in a different school to the Expert/Slimblade/L-Trac/T50.

With the latter school, I actually prefer the Expert to the Slimblade (not tried an L-Trac), as the palm rest is more relaxing, and you don't have to float. The latter school also allows you to manipulate the ball with your palm, which I personally find more precise and quicker then using my finger tips.

That said, for more general use I find the Huge (not used the Deft) more relaxing, especially with the extra customisable buttons, which means less movement.

So I actually used legal steroids from gnc here use both, Expert in the left hand and Huge in the right hand, and switch between the two depending on what I'm doing.

With an ergonomic design, the Logitech MX ERGO fits perfectly against your palm, ensuring no aches or pain when used for hours at a time. You'll also find a lot of customization options on the Logitech MX ERGO thanks in part to its adjustable hinge.

« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2020, 13:59:55 by JacobMitchell »

Offline Crabby

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 04:45:40 »
I find any mouse style trackballs to be insanely uncomfortable. The vertical Kensington ones look good and I did enjoy the Kensington expert mouse.