geekhack Projects > Making Stuff Together!

[PROJECT] Ten Key Mirrored 2021 (full size 104 key custom keyboard)

(1/27) > >>

cest73:
Okay we're getting serious slowly...
The intended layout:

The front side of the PCB

The back side of the PCB

Intended goal: maximize mouse playground while avoiding to sacrifice any key of the 104

cest73:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110450.0 <- initial thread with design considerations

TalkingTree:
My two suggestions for the moment are to split every 2u keys for a universal compatibility. Someone could be interested in your board but with a different layout. A ISO enter key would also be appropriate.
Also, you can manage a fullsize keyboard with a Atmega32u4 as well. There are enough pins for a 11x11 or even a 12x12 matrix.

cest73:

--- Quote from: TalkingTree on Sun, 03 January 2021, 12:53:24 ---My two suggestions for the moment are to split every 2u keys for a universal compatibility. Someone could be interested in your board but with a different layout. A ISO enter key would also be appropriate.

--- End quote ---
I agree there, i was rushing the initial publish so we can delve into the particularities and things like that!

The ISO being a fairly common i totally should keep that as an option.

Then, again i doubt i need to split much more than backspace and the two shifts to get a "spare" 1u aside of each?

The hard question is the "Big Ass enter" as i just so happen to have one win key less "big foot" with black alps that might donate the switches (black ALPS) and the key caps, alongside there are quite few XM stem options there too...

--- Quote ---Also, you can manage a fullsize keyboard with a Atmega32u4 as well. There are enough pins for a 11x11 or even a 12x12 matrix.

--- End quote ---
While i might agree there too, I prefer the much cleaner layout and free pins should i actually choose to ever revise this project pursuing the elusive per switch backlight.it

IIRC the 32u4 is exactly enough for my 104 w/o that one backlight pin? I have 6 rows and 20 columns here and 13 free pins (plus AREF) i guess i could squeeze it by making certain each column is packed with 6 keys and get that number down somewhat?

I was even lazy enough to opt for the larger package of the A90USB1286 over the more compact one.

I doubt it would impact the price too hard, or am I missing something?

cest73:
I just got rid of the LED diodes but kept the holes
(actually replaced the damn footprint  :'( )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version