geekhack Community > Off Topic

I Failed the Empty Can Test

(1/4) > >>

Kavik:
My right shoulder has periodically felt some pain when getting the bar on my back when setting up for low bar squats. This occasionally cropped up during curls too. However, it's been rather persistent the last few months, causing pain during all arm exercises, and has started affecting everyday life, not just lifting.

Yesterday, I saw an orthopedist, and I failed the Empty Can Test or Jobe Test. With my arm raised to the side and thumb pointed down, I couldn't resist even slight downward pressure. It hurt a little bit, but it was really just extreme weakness. When he did the same to my left arm, it was trivial to resist the downward pressure.

Since I don't remember a traumatic event to suggest a rotator cuff tear, he prescribed physical therapy and a follow-up in two months, at which time I'll get an MRI if it's not fixed. I wish I could get the MRI now, but I understand why he didn't want to. Sometimes things show up on imaging that aren't relevant, so one ends up treating the wrong thing. Conservative treatment is best at first, but I hate the waiting.

I did get a cortisone shot which made it feel about 10 times worse until this morning.

So I may have a torn or partially torn rotator cuff or just bursitis.

alertArchitect:
Good luck with all of that! I've never had that type of injury myself, so I don't know the extent of what that can do to you, but I hope that it all works out for you in the end. Hopefully it's something less serious than a muscle tear, but either way I hope it gets remedied properly.

kurplop:
There are specific  PT exercises which can help with certain rotator cuff injuries. Specifically ones which strengthen some of the lesser known and lesser worked muscles on the back side of the shoulder. Look them up on YouTube. They are probably the ones that the Physical Therapist will recommend.

alertArchitect:

--- Quote from: kurplop on Thu, 18 February 2021, 12:30:51 ---There are specific  PT exercises which can help with certain rotator cuff injuries. Specifically ones which strengthen some of the lesser known and lesser worked muscles on the back side of the shoulder. Look them up on YouTube. They are probably the ones that the Physical Therapist will recommend.

--- End quote ---

This might help, but I would say only do things recommended by the physical therapist. Some exercises could be meant for specific kinds of injuries you may not necessarily have, and doing the wrong ones or doing them improperly could result in further damage. I would say you should only do exercises recommended and, hopefully, taught to you by the therapist so that you don't accidentally do them in a way that could cause further damage and issues later down the line.

Yes, these YouTube exercises could work, and could help, but when it comes to medical issues I always go with what the professionals say and recommend first and foremost.

iri:
Get well, Kavik!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version