geekhack Community > Keyboards

Copam K-430 converter compatibility

(1/24) > >>

Drag0nFly:
Hi all!

This is my first post to the forum. After spending quite some time scouring the 'Net for information on this Copam K-430 board (which is listed as "501" on the PCB, btw.), and which erroneously also is listed as using the *XT protocol* on Deskthority, I saw that some members on here either have – or have had – this board at some point; I thought it would be useful to ask for any pointers as to how – and if – anyone got it working on a modern computer (without swapping out internal components)

Obviously, Soarer's XT/AT converter did little for this board, only providing power and making one toggle the Caps Lock LED. No scancodes are seen.

This Copam board is mentioned in https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60253.0 and https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=96478.0
where @MandrewDavis did some truly impressive work on it (way beyond my abilities at least; although I would /prefer/ to convert it to USB it would not be feasible for me)

I realize this might be a bit optimistic, but I really like the board and would love to hear any thoughts on getting it working (perhaps with alternative converters, maybe even something which can be firmware-upgraded as I notice there is work being done to reverse-engineer Soarer's original code in his absence)

Some pics of the patient-

Best Regards,

Maledicted:
You like those arrow keys? I couldn't do it. Have you tried TMK? hasu has been slowly adding more and more weird protocol support to it. If your board doesn't work out of the box, you should be able to get scancodes with hid_listen that hasu could use to add support.

Drag0nFly:
Hmm, interesting. If @hasu's converter works with it, I guess it might be that the K-430 requires XT reset which is apparently required for old Type-1 IBM XTs and clones (just a guess, since Soarer's converter did not work at all)

There was a lot of info on the TMK, except where to buy one. I do obviously have Soarer's XT/AT converter, and could potentially flash new fw, but it would be nice to get one directly so as to not eff-up the one that I have. And I cannot seem to find specific info on how to flash it under Linux, which also would be required.

+1 on the arrow keys – wish they were the inverted T-shape. Also miss the delete-key. But the board is quite interesting in that I can ignore certain elements of it.

btw. is it common to have to captcha every message posted, even for registered users? I am getting the same unreadable characters on everything I attempt to post, be it PMs or messages (and the three questions)

Maledicted:

--- Quote from: Drag0nFly on Wed, 03 March 2021, 11:07:48 ---Hmm, interesting. If @hasu's converter works with it, I guess it might be that the K-430 requires XT reset which is apparently required for old Type-1 IBM XTs and clones (just a guess, since Soarer's converter did not work at all)

There was a lot of info on the TMK, except where to buy one. I do obviously have Soarer's XT/AT converter, and could potentially flash new fw, but it would be nice to get one directly so as to not eff-up the one that I have. And I cannot seem to find specific info on how to flash it under Linux, which also would be required.

+1 on the arrow keys – wish they were the inverted T-shape. Also miss the delete-key. But the board is quite interesting in that I can ignore certain elements of it.

btw. is it common to have to captcha every message posted, even for registered users? I am getting the same unreadable characters on everything I attempt to post, be it PMs or messages (and the three questions)

--- End quote ---

Soarer's firmware also works with the XT reset line wired up, supposing that the protocol isn't too weird regardless. My DC-2014 requires it and I have run nothing but Soarer's firmware on a Pro Micro I glued into the case. Those prebuilt converters on Ebay usually don't have the reset line wired because very few keyboards actually need it.

This should help with both Linux terminal commands for flashing and wiring of your own Soarer's converter. That guide helped me a lot my first time around. Flashing instructions that work for Soarer's firmware should also apply to TMK, and vice versa. You could also be lazy and buy a DC-2014-specific Soarer's converter on Ebay and rewire it for your board. We still don't know whether or not either firmware will work though without some wizardry from hasu, unless you wanted to dive into TMK yourself. I know I haven't.

I think that either firmware could be remapped, so you could maybe make right shift an up arrow key on another layer or something, and change the existing up arrow to FN. It does have the delete key on the number pad at least. I'm quite fond of the F keys being on the left side of boards myself.

I think the captcha goes away once you've reached a certain number of posts. I forget the number.

Drag0nFly:

--- Quote from: Maledicted on Wed, 03 March 2021, 12:20:11 ---Soarer's firmware also works with the XT reset line wired up, supposing that the protocol isn't too weird regardless. My DC-2014 requires it and I have run nothing but Soarer's firmware on a Pro Micro I glued into the case. Those prebuilt converters on Ebay usually don't have the reset line wired because very few keyboards actually need it.

--- End quote ---
I got mine from TinkerBoy at eBay. I assume the XT reset line is wired, although I don't know for sure.

--- Quote from: Maledicted on Wed, 03 March 2021, 12:20:11 ---This should help with both Linux terminal commands for flashing and wiring of your own Soarer's converter. That guide helped me a lot my first time around. Flashing instructions that work for Soarer's firmware should also apply to TMK, and vice versa. You could also be lazy and buy a DC-2014-specific Soarer's converter on Ebay and rewire it for your board. We still don't know whether or not either firmware will work though without some wizardry from hasu, unless you wanted to dive into TMK yourself. I know I haven't.

--- End quote ---
Appreciate the link - definitely useful. Buying an existing converter would be my choice, but I am not sure if I have time to also rewire anything or dig too deep in order to get it working. I'll probably sell off the board instead and get something which works with an existing converter. (I have 4 other boards that I am refurbishing, which work with Soarer's AT/XT & PS/2 converters)

--- Quote from: Maledicted on Wed, 03 March 2021, 12:20:11 ---I think that either firmware could be remapped, so you could maybe make right shift an up arrow key on another layer or something, and change the existing up arrow to FN. It does have the delete key on the number pad at least. I'm quite fond of the F keys being on the left side of boards myself.

I think the captcha goes away once you've reached a certain number of posts. I forget the number.

--- End quote ---
The grouped F-keys on the left are a nice touch, yes. The main thing I am missing on this board, apart from  – erm ;) – *actual XT-compatibility* (wish someone would update the Deskthority page as it is a little misleading) is the inverted-T arrows and light LEDs directly on the CL, NL & SL keys (or at least the CL), I've always preferred those...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version